Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Error in star wars 3 ?? mabye not... (spoilers)

Old 05-20-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Error in star wars 3 ?? mabye not... (spoilers)

I was wondering if what I noticed was an error or not...

In ep 3 when obi wan and yoda are at the jedi temple while the special senate session is going on obi wan refers to the "emperor"... however he had only been the emperor for a few seconds b/c that senate session that was going on was him announcing the formation of the empire. The only explination I can think of is they knew he was going to change his title but that still seems a little strange to me that he is already calling him the emperor...

anyone else notice that? what do you all think?
Old 05-20-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the same thing. Maybe it will be covered in a deleted scene. Considering all they cut from the book and original script, I wonder if this was covered better in original treatments?
Old 05-21-05, 12:24 PM

It was probably being broadcast live over that galaxy's version of c-span, which the jedi have learned to tune into using the force.
Old 05-21-05, 02:24 PM

Location: Chicago...NOT my kind of town, I hate urban living, but have no choice
F-Span (Force Span) Yep..thats what it was.
Old 05-22-05, 01:14 AM

yep i agree the most noteable continuity error in the film, regardless of deleted scenes, there is no way they could know him as "the emperor" They seperated from bail organa when he went to the senate, so they could "sneak" into the jedi temple, and the 2 events were happening at the same time (bail was in the senate hearing the empire speach, when obi+yoda were whipping up on some clones) I'm sure its not the first error, but i noticed it right away and everyone around me too.
Old 05-22-05, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't Yoda have the radio thing with Bail worked out? Remember how he got away after his fight with Sidious ? I don't see it as a stretch that they were in constant communication with each other. They could have also been listening in for the meeting.

Here's the only question I had after watching the movie. How did Sidious have any clue about what happened between Anakin and Padme on Mustafarr? He told Vader that he got too angry with her. How does he know?
Old 05-22-05, 02:36 AM
rsa

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
How did Sidious have any clue about what happened between Anakin and Padme on Mustafarr? He told Vader that he got too angry with her. How does he know?
He didn't, and it doesn't matter anyway (but it would've been a pretty safe bet).

He said it to make Darth "madder than he ever was" to reinforce/complete his turn to the dusky side of the force...
Old 05-22-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rsa
He didn't, and it doesn't matter anyway (but it would've been a pretty safe bet).

He said it to make Darth "madder than he ever was" to reinforce/complete his turn to the dusky side of the force...
Here is the line ...

DARTH SIDIOUS: I'm afraid she died. ... it seems in your anger, you killed her.

That seems really specific. Even if he did make it up, Vader would have been pretty upset if she didn't die and he found her alive.
Old 05-22-05, 12:10 PM

Back to the OP... this line jumped out at me as well. It is definitely out of place. Slip up? Or maybe they cut the scenes together in a different order than they originally intended? Just thinking out loud... glad I'm not the only one that noticed this.
Old 05-22-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In the holographic image Obi-wan watches, you can hear Palpatine mention "the Empire" to Anakin. I guess he assumed Palpatine was the leader of this Empire, hence the Emperor. It's the only logical explanation for that error.

Besides, there are dozens of continuity errors in this movie. If that's the worst one you noticed, I envy you.