DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   isn't it too early to have a scarlet johannson band wagon? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/423475-isnt-too-early-have-scarlet-johannson-band-wagon.html)

pdinosaur 05-20-05 12:41 PM

isn't it too early to have a scarlet johannson band wagon?

so she was in lost in translation. what else? home alone 3? ghost world?

maybe i haven't seen enough of her stuff, but i've yet to see why she deserves this crazy praise y'all seem to have for her.

(sorry, i'm still reeling from the buffy fanboy stuff. haha. apparently i'm testy today. sorry ;))

wendersfan 05-20-05 12:51 PM

Scarlett Johannson is a talented, beautiful young actress with huge potential and a bright future. I'm unaware of any "bandwagon", but I certainly rate her highly and enjoy her performances. Oh, and she was also excellent in <b>The Man Who Wasn't There</b>, albeit in a small role. I wasn't too impressed with <b>Girl With the Pearl Earring</b>.

pdinosaur 05-20-05 12:59 PM

right, well she broke out in lost in translation. but to what end? so far, she doesn't really seem to have an amazing career under her belt.

i have a feeling she will have an underwhelming career when all is said and done. you heard it here first! ;)

and it's so hard for me to take the 'talented' part seriously. virtually everyone, including bruckheimer, bay and pauly shore have some sort of 'talent'. you jsut want to get in her pants. shoulda found her before she was famous!! hehe.

Groucho 05-20-05 01:01 PM

People said the same thing about Kate Hudson and Almost Famous, that her performance in that was a "one-hit wonder." Well, look at her career since. Take that, naysayers!

wendersfan 05-20-05 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
People said the same thing about Kate Hudson and Almost Famous, that her performance in that was a "one-hit wonder." Well, look at her career since. Take that, naysayers!

I think Kate is less concerned with her career, and more concerned with her family and the maryjane.

wmansir 05-20-05 01:09 PM

LiT gave her a lot more heat than her acting talent merits, but she's nowhere near as over-hyped as, say, Lindsay Lohan. I don't think she will be the next Natalie Portman, but unless she makes some horrible choices she should have a decent career.

FinkPish 05-20-05 01:19 PM

What is this bandwagon of which you speak? Whatever bandwagon exists, it seems more focused on certain aspects below the neck, rather than acting talent.

pdinosaur 05-20-05 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho

well, if we go by appearances, kate has a more widely admired appearance. scarlett's always looked kinda funny to me. not to say she's unattractive, but, i think more people'd fall kate's way in a side by side. lol.

i'm being lame.

scarlett has in all of her movies i've seen, lost, ghost and home alone, given the distinct impression of being snotty. that's not attractive. and while she may be the epitome of sweet and loving, i don't think her appearance can shed the impression of beeing snotty. or snooty.

who would win. catherine keener or scarlett johansson? my money's on the perennial bitch over the perennial snot.

catherine, oh how i love thee.

man i'm in a weird mood.

FinkPish 05-20-05 01:57 PM

Well, is it snooty or snotty?

http://img17.paintedover.com/uploads/17/schmock.jpg

Mutley Hyde 05-20-05 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by pdinosaur
maybe i haven't seen enough of her stuff, but i've yet to see why she deserves this crazy praise y'all seem to have for her.

I don't know, but it looks like someone else is a little put off by all the Scarlett love too...

http://www.dvd.net.au/movies/d/06388-3.jpg

:eek:

One thing I do know about Scarlett is that I haven't seen quite enough of 'her stuff'.

http://hollywood.weblog.com.pt/arqui...johansson4.jpg

PopcornTreeCt 05-20-05 02:41 PM

Gives a few good performances and now she's doomed to star in nothing but romantic comedies. I think it's time to hop off the Scarlett Johannson band wagon.

animalmystic 05-20-05 02:43 PM

Scarlett is hot and I would definitely bang her.

I wasn't too impressed with Girl With the Pearl Earring.
I have a Pearl Necklace I would love to give her that would match -other-

On a serious note though, IMO she is a very fine acress, the first movie I saw with her in it was LiT and her performance was awesome. I have slowly seen many of her other performances and I am impressed. I am definitely looking foreword to The Island as well, I was disappointed she left MI4 I would like to have seen her in that.

Go Scarlett!

fumanstan 05-20-05 02:58 PM

Other then Lost in Translation, i haven't seen her do anything special. Not particularly impressed.

pdinosaur 05-20-05 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish

hahah. awesome. you get the electronic cookie award for responding to my ferris beuller reference.

any mutley, you get the electronic cookie award for posting a picture of catherine.

it'd be interesting to see her in MI3, if only to see what kind of role she'd play.

she seems too snooty to be a damsel in distress type. but, she just doesn't strike me as an action star. (isn't there some irony involved in a scarlett/MI pairing, given LiT?) whatever the case, i think she'd end up playing the role of 'girl i'd want to see get bumped off'.

jfoobar 05-20-05 03:14 PM

Or she could pull a Chloë Sevigny and fade into low-budget indie obscurity. She does have Chloë stomped in the looks department, however.

jfoobar 05-20-05 03:16 PM

Oh schwing (linked for size):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...er/scarlet.jpg

Niiice picture.

wendersfan 05-20-05 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Other then Lost in Translation, i haven't seen her do anything special. Not particularly impressed.

You didn't like her in <b>Ghost World</b>?

pdinosaur 05-20-05 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
You didn't like her in <b>Ghost World</b>?

admittedly its been a while, but ghost world i recall wasn't a particularly joy-inspiring movie. in fact, i wouldn't be surprised is it was more a sleep-inspriing movie.

maybe i should watch again and report back.

MrE 05-20-05 03:24 PM

:rolleyes: If she had famous parents she'd have an Oscar. Nearly all her performances have been good and a few rate Very Good or Great...especially when you consider her age. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find another actress in the same age range with a better track record.

pdinosaur 05-20-05 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by MrE
:rolleyes: If she had famous parents she'd have an Oscar. Nearly all her performances have been good and a few rate Very Good or Great...especially when you consider her age. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find another actress in the same age range with a better track record.

finally.

what's her good track record?

lost in translation and .... ?

PopcornTreeCt 05-20-05 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by pdinosaur
finally.

what's her good track record?

lost in translation and .... ?

.... The Perfect Score! :)

MrE 05-20-05 03:39 PM

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0424060/

pdinosaur 05-20-05 04:30 PM

*good* track record. i'm sure she's forsaken her home alone 3 appearance by now.

Mutley Hyde 05-20-05 04:48 PM

Um, some people, including myself, love Ghost World. I would say in addition to LiT, that's part of her *good* track record. Somebody else already mentioned Man Who Wasn't There. Nevermind her screen time, it's the job done that counts. Case in point, she had less screen time in Ghost World than Thora Birch, but she played her part well. I haven't seen any of her other movies, but those three alone are pretty impressive.

But thanks for the cookie. :)

pdinosaur 05-20-05 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mutley Hyde
Um, some people, including myself, love Ghost World. I would say in addition to LiT, that's part of her *good* track record. Somebody else already mentioned Man Who Wasn't There. Nevermind her screen time, it's the job done that counts. Case in point, she had less screen time in Ghost World than Thora Birch, but she played her part well. I haven't seen any of her other movies, but those three alone are pretty impressive.

But thanks for the cookie. :)

well, perhaps i'll give ghost world another once over. it's been a while, as i said.

now, the man who wasn't there. THAT was a sleep inspiring movie. i should try to watch it again i suppose. i have this problem with miyazaki movies too, for some reason. so i'm sure someone'll argue i fall asleep only during good movies. :P

perhaps i just won't sit so comfy-like on the couch!

regardless, i'm not sure she's established she's anything more than an 'it' girl in hollywood. it remains to be seen whether the 'it' label will stick or not.