Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What I would have like to have seen in EP 3.(spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What I would have like to have seen in EP 3.(spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You never get the sense that Anakin is 'above' the senators or other big-wigs in Ep I - III... and he's not in IV either. By the time we get to V though, the Senate has been disolved... politicians are irrelevant...
After seeing Sith, I have a significantly different interpretation of Vader in IV-VI... I think the loss of Padme really left him with only one internal motivation: fear of the Emperor.

I now interpret the post-suit Vader as a broken man, maybe he sees where his pride and youthful arrogance have led him and he doesn't strive to be anything more than the Emperor's lapdog... He won't resist Palpatine, he won't go against anything he orders, but where pre-suit he was constantly pushing for more, he's lost that drive... He just does what it takes to stay in the Emperor's good grace...

Being above the Senators or other politicians has no meaning for him, his ambitions have been destroyed, he sees that they all serve the Emperor...

There's no doubt in my mind that Vader could be above them all, he just doesn't care after losing Padme... He only cares about not crossing the Emperor, that is until Luke re-awakens his emotions...
Old 05-23-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

pretty much my take as well, and I maintain that he could not take a jedi master one on one in that physical or mental condition...which is not to say that he couldn't have hunted them down with ships, storm troopers, bounty hunters, etc. At the very least, he couldn't have been looking too hard for Obi Wan.
Old 05-23-05, 04:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
Probably a little bit of Grand Moff Tarkin would of been nice.
wasn't that a young him standing with Vader and the Emperor looking out to the Death Star? before they panned in close it was a dead ringer for Peter Cushing. so that was him right?
Old 05-23-05, 05:25 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Yeah, that was supposed to be Tarkin - he didn't have any lines, but why else would they have a Cushing look-alike there?
Old 05-23-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
wasn't that a young him standing with Vader and the Emperor looking out to the Death Star? before they panned in close it was a dead ringer for Peter Cushing. so that was him right?
that was Governor Tarkin
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0701460/
Old 05-23-05, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
that was Governor Tarkin
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0701460/
HOLY SHIT! That was Scorpius??? Coolest thing I've heard all day.
Old 05-24-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think one of my primary anticipations for the film was to see Vader, as has been mentioned by many here, hunt down Jedi. I don't delve into the EU so I don't know what happens off screen, which may have limited my enjoyment of the prequel trilogy, but I certainly did expect to see more than a few Jedi being shot in the backs by Clone Troopers and Anakin slicing up some chil'ren. The whole "Oh, he probably does that later" thing just doesn't work for me. For all of the loose ends (and loose beginnings) that Lucas tries to tie up, that seems like a rather sizeable one.

Secondly, my gripe for all the prequels excepting the final act of 2 and the first 5 minutes of 3: The droids. As was mentioned in another post, Lucas was to have the films essentially be told through the eyes of R2-D2 and C3PO. It worked in the OT, and the droids not only furthered the films' stories and were great characters, but provided much need comic relief. Even the darkest movie (see: ESB) can use a little light-heartedness (not counting unintentionally hilarious love scene dialogue.) It worked in Ep 2 for a few frames, even in the face of the groan-worthy "this is such a drag" line, primarily because Daniels could pull it off while few other of the wooden (or ridiculous in some cases) characters could. Otherwise, the only recognizable characters, primarily C3PO, present in all 6 films were essentially throw-aways in the first 3. Sure, R2 had some screen time, but did Lucas really forget that he's actually a great little character when allowed to "act?" It seems that way, with the exception of the first few minutes of ROTS. A minor gripe to some, but it bothers me.

And like many others, I wish the story had been distributed differently to avoid the "rushed" effect. I didn't feel like Anakin's turn was as sudden as others did, but really more of the story elements. I don't want this post to be my mini-post mortem on the series, but that does apply to TPM and AOTC. I walked out of ROTS feeling that TPM was almost entirely wasted story, with a few key points here and there. Reorganizing, cutting certain extraneous CGI dipshits, adding in some nice Clone War footage, or plugging in some of the story portions that wound up being in a cartoon series instead of the actual films would have helped me appreciate the whole thing more. Once the nice snowball began picking up speed in Ep 3, it was almost as if it just dropped of a cliff. Much of the final act was great stuff that just deserved more screen time. And at the end of the day, there was so much of the prequels that could have been sacrificed in favor of better material.

I really enjoyed the flick, and I certainly liked it much more than the first two eps, but it was probably a little more flawed, IMO, than it should have been.

Last edited by Mad Dawg; 05-24-05 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-25-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chess
Preface to say, I saw that and totally "got it"...

But I was wondering WHY he took it at the time. It wasn't to give it to Vader's offspring, because there very well may not have been offspring at that time. It also wasn't to protect himself since Anakin wasn't much of a threat at that point. I can only think that it was just him being indignant...as if to say "...and now that I've made you my BITCH, I'm going to take your light saber for my mantle you legless flaming traitorous turd!"
It seemed obvious to me he took the lightsaber because it was made by a Jedi and since he was now a Sith he did not deserve to die with the light saber of a Jedi (kinda like Vikings who want to die with their sword).
Old 05-25-05, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wanted to see more of the Wookies in battle. I also would have liked to see more of Yoda's back story or possibly even the planet of Yodas.
Old 05-25-05, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
I think the biggest dissapointment is not seeing much at all of the wookies. I was really hoping for some all out brawls and lots of hand to hand combat. Lukas did more justice to the gungans in eps I. Maybe he was afraid of it getting too long or not focusing in on Anakin's story. I mean, so little of the battle was shown that that section was almost pointless to the story.
Old 05-25-05, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bwvanh114
There was one scene where a trooper signaled to get help for a fallen comrade which I was awesome and made it feel like a real battle instead of a buncha people randomly shooting at shit.
I really liked that too, and noticed it.

I would've liked to hear more about the Death Star during the film. Maybe a scene or two like in AOTC.

Oh and an explanation as to why the Empire decided to change the asthetic looks of the insides of their ships to something so retro... Or "futuristic"!
Old 05-25-05, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To add to the whole Darth Vader bit. I liked how Anakin had been flawed from the beginning. How he always craved power and such. If it wasn't a dream that sent him over the edge it would've been something else eventually.
Old 05-26-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
- Palpatine breaking a sweat to kill the first 3 Jedi when he is encountered...the first two just stare at his lightsaber as it goes through them...Kit Fisto also went down like a chump.

- Qui-Gon talking to Yoda

- Yoda arriving on Dagohbah

- An explaination of why the Vader suit looks like it does...it was kinda like Palps had the thing ready to go.

- More talking between Obi-Wan and Anakin during duel...I always thought that Obi-Wan tried to turn him back to the good side...not just kill him...hense the "Obi Wan once thought as you do" line from Vader in ROTJ.

- Anakin and Obi-Wan fighting with each others sabers and just a little more to the fight scene.

- Anakin's defeat a little more drawn out...the whole leaping over Obi-Wan move was a little silly, and he looses his limbs so quickly you can't tell what happened right away.

- A different reason for Padme's death than "a broken heart"
Old 05-26-05, 08:07 PM

100 % agree ^
Old 05-26-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Terrell
Three things. One, I would have liked to have seen a couple of scenes on the beginning of the Rebellion. Two, I wanted to see the scene between Qui-Goin and Yoda, where he and Yoda discuss the ability to learn the force ghost issue. Three, I would have liked to see Yoda landing on Dagobah, even if it wasn't necessary.
Old 05-26-05, 08:40 PM

i want to see a longer winded grievious/obiwan fight and maybe a flashback of the windu/grievous clone-wars fight.

Hell, i just wanted more grievious
Old 05-27-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by KnightLerxst

- An explaination of why the Vader suit looks like it does...it was kinda like Palps had the thing ready to go.

- More talking between Obi-Wan and Anakin during duel...I always thought that Obi-Wan tried to turn him back to the good side...not just kill him...hense the "Obi Wan once thought as you do" line from Vader in ROTJ.

- Anakin and Obi-Wan fighting with each others sabers and just a little more to the fight scene.

- A different reason for Padme's death than "a broken heart"
Vader suit: I liked that it looked just like his Jedi clothing with that funky box added to his chest and a mask. I remember thinking that Anakin's jedi outfit looked much better than Obi's one (which was passed on to Luke even before he became a jedi?)

Obi Wan did believe that he could turn Anakin, so that comment still makes sense

The fight was almost too long as it was... or maybe I just didn't like the whole moving over lava thing. I mean, it looked pretty cool, but I would've liked it better had it been on the station instead.

The Padme broken heart thing is probably better... because Anakin didn't really kill her physically, although he believed he did.

With all the limbs being chopped off in these movies, you'd think they'd wear some kind of hand armor or something... though then again, you wouldn't think they'd be so trained in lightsaber to lightsaber duels, as they rarely would have to fight anyone else with a lightsaber...

Last edited by fujishig; 05-27-05 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-27-05, 11:10 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I think he really DID kill her physically. They didn't know why she was dying, but it seemed that she was psychically linked with Anakin's good side and when he went to the dark side she died.
Old 05-28-05, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm
Let me preface this by saying I really liked the first 2 episodes, but after watching this one I really wish the first 2 had been written differently. If Lucas would have kept to the plan and made Anakin older, episode I and II would have addressed the things we wanted more of from Episode III. I just hope we get most of the deleted scenes on the DVD.
I'm with you on this....an older Anakin, meeting Padme for the first time, etc...but that's like a major re-write...episode 1 did establish his sincere love for his mother, it introduced Qui-Gonn/Maul and others...really I think ROTS should have been 2 movies, to give the story enough time to flesh out...either that or he should have gone the route of a movie like Return of the King, a long movie but it wraps up a lot of things pretty well.
Old 05-28-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jough
Yeah, that was supposed to be Tarkin - he didn't have any lines, but why else would they have a Cushing look-alike there?
I'll bet the actor didn't look very much like him without the fairly obvious prosthetics and make-up. The guy almost looked like he had a mask on. But then, I have no idea who the actor is, even with the help of the IMDB link.
Old 05-28-05, 08:26 PM
Suspended

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that the actor they got looks naturally like Peter Cushing (although why not just go that route?). For all I know they could have age regressed an image of Cushing and digitally wrapped it around that guy's face.

I'm just saying - there was a guy there standing on the bridge of the Imperial Battle Cruiser next to the new Emperor and Vader who looked like Peter Cushing. That couldn't have been an accident. Plus, IMDB shows a credit for Governor Tarkin.

I guess he hadn't made Grand Moff yet.
Old 05-28-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really wanted to see Vader use the force lightning just once. (it was established in some text that he couldn't use it because of the suit and a lack of arms)
Old 05-28-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
- no Vader in suit. The Emperor sees charred Anakin on the bankhead, a look of disgust and he walks off (similar to Vader's last scene in Empire) thus leaving Anakin's fate in question.
- Alderaan to look like McQuarrie's paintings (esp of Aldera, the capital city)
- no Grievous.
- more Tarkin, in command of a particular unit, being appointed by the Emperor.
- instead of Anakin missing the meeting, show us the meeting (so we know what the heck's going on) than show Anakin arrive - this would mirror Luke's entrance to the rebel briefing in ROTJ.
- show the seige on Coruscant and capture of Palpatine (minus Grevious of course), take out all the droid slapstick hijinks and the running time would be the same.
- Instead of Windu flying out of the window to his death, have him fried on the ground by Palpatine's lighting. This would mirror the scene in Jedi when Luke is getting it. Only this time Anakin stands by and watches.
- this isn't even addressing any of my problems with the effects and their implementation.

- oh yeah, and instead of kinda choking Padme. Go for broke, with CG they could do a killer throat choke. And have her die from those injuries, or she didn't even need to die. It also could've worked if she went to Alderaan and lived her remaining yrs there. Then Leia's comments in Jedi would've made more sense.
- Other than breaking a sweat, it doesn't look like Obi-Wan suffered a scratch during the duel. Have him bruised and battered - maybe even unconscious while the droids fly the ship back.
- and for God sakes... ease up on the evil palpatine make-up. It looks like he's wearing a halloween mask. I prefer the idea of his appearance staying somewhat the same, so by the time we get to Jedi his physical deterioration is noticeable.

- include little details that would've added depth - have Palpatine drop the bombshell that he was Darth Plagieus apprentice and Anakin is his creation. That he himself has been alive and going from body to body for 800 yrs. Heck a neat arc could've been that he was beaten by Yoda many yrs ago, than during the rematch he of course, has his revenge.

- play a few notes from E.T.'s score when Yoda takes off in his pod. Ok well, maybe not but that's what I was thinking when I first saw it. lol...

Last edited by Artman; 05-28-05 at 11:15 PM.