DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   RITS Grevious vs CW Grevious (Spoilers) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/423345-rits-grevious-vs-cw-grevious-spoilers.html)

Derrich 05-19-05 03:28 PM

RITS Grevious vs CW Grevious (Spoilers)

Anyone notice how much of a punk Grevious was in RITS compared to how dominant he was in the CW series? In Clone Wars he would take on 3-5 Jedi without thinking twice. He would even taunt them beforehand. But in RITS he's scared to take on 2 at a time. And when he went 1 on 1 with Obiwan he basically did a couple of moves and then ran.

It could be a case of the CW creators going overboard by making him such a badass and Lucas not being able to keep up with the non cartoon version of the character.

D

bboisvert 05-19-05 03:30 PM

RITS? ;)

And, yes, I think it is a case of the CW people going a bit nuts. Frankly -- although it was cool -- I had a real issue with a droid/hybrid/whatever being able to take out so many Jedi at once.

Obi-Wan even indicates in the dialog at the beginning of Episode III that Grevious tends to run away from a fight.

HN 05-19-05 03:32 PM

Grievous was handicapped in ROTS. You'd be, too, if your chest was Force crushed by a master jedi.

Plus, the two that he did take on in ROTS was the all powerful jedi and anakin.

masetodd 05-19-05 03:39 PM

Without having to watch the Clone Wars cartoon again, what happened to damage Grievous?

Nesbit 05-19-05 03:45 PM

Didn't Count Dooku instruct Grevious to wait until he had a clear advantage before engaging a Jedi? I've only seen the cartoon once but that might explain the difference.

HN 05-19-05 03:46 PM

Grievous was standing in the doorwar as his ship was taking off; Windu attempted to jump at it but couldn't make it so let out a little force crush, or was it a force push, on Grievous' chest. either way, he was damaged after that.

Morf 05-19-05 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by HN
Grievous was standing in the doorwar as his ship was taking off; Windu attempted to jump at it but couldn't make it so let out a little force crush, or was it a force push, on Grievous' chest. either way, he was damaged after that.

Yep. I watched the entire Clone Wars series before the midnight show, so I remember distinctly: Mace crushes Grevious' chest cavity. Hence Grevious' wheezing and coughing in the movie. Cool tie-in. :up:

Rammsteinfan 05-19-05 04:07 PM

Yeah, Greivous was a tad handicapped. Dooku did tell him in teh CW's that if he cannot win, to retreat and fight again later. Grievous did stand up to Obi Wan on Upatupu after Obi killed his bodyguard droids. There were plenty of other droids to shoot Obi but Greivous stepped up and tried to fight him.

freudguy 05-20-05 09:33 AM

Wasn't there another injury Grievous took in the book, "Labyrinth of Evil"? I was going to read it but I heard it is actually an alternative prequel to ROTS. I like the cartoon quite a bit and didn't want to read a contrasting story for the lead-up to Palp's kidnapping.

If Labyrinth of Evil actually contradicts what happens in the cartoon, why would Lucasfilm allow that? They have usually done a good job of maintaining continuity among the EU.

Cusm 05-20-05 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Yeah, Greivous was a tad handicapped. Dooku did tell him in teh CW's that if he cannot win, to retreat and fight again later. Grievous did stand up to Obi Wan on Upatupu after Obi killed his bodyguard droids. There were plenty of other droids to shoot Obi but Greivous stepped up and tried to fight him.

Any good General knows that you retreat if you are facing defeat. I think all the complaints are because he was to crazy skilled in the cartoon, the reason I did not like them that much, and when the movies show a more "realistic" Grevious he is too "weak" for CW fans.

Star Wars Guy 05-20-05 10:06 AM

Having just finished reading Labyrinth of Evil last weekend, I don't think it really contridicts the CW series to the point where you wouldn't enjoy it. The premise is basically the same and LoE offers so much more depth of what goes on with Anakin, Obi, & Dooku before ROTS.

jarofclay73 05-20-05 02:17 PM

Remember in the last episode of CW, Mace crushed Grievous' body? Well, I think that hurt Grievous a little and, in fact, made him make that wheezing breathing sound throughout the movie. So, Grievous was already "injured."

I think Grievous faced lesser Jedi in CW. I think Anakin would have done as well as Obi against Grievous.

There was a scene where Grievous actually kills Shaak Ti but obviously it was deleted. Would have shown how ruthless Grievous really is. But, like the other "bad guy of the movies," Grievous was a punk and died like a punk.

Rammsteinfan 05-20-05 02:18 PM

But his four armed light saber taunt was cool despite being a punk... ;)

Ketamine 05-20-05 02:37 PM

Count me is as a guy that didn't like him in this film. All he did was run away and get pushed around. Since we had a lot of Jedi die off anyway, why couldn't we see Grevous take out some jedi before the powerful Obi-Wan beats him. Since it is so important to save Palpatine, have 4-5 Jedi attack the ship in the beginning, Skywalker and Obi-Wan go for Palpatine while the other jedi go after Grevous/Dooku. Grevous takes them out as in the cartoons, but Anakin and Obi-Wan win round one (showing how powerful they are) and Grevous takes off trying to trap them on the ship. Then Obi-Wan can track him down and kill him later. That way we actually see Grevous has skills but is no match for Obi-Wan. His character was wasted in the movie IMHO.

shaggy 05-20-05 02:51 PM

There are two reasons he appears weeker in the film, as already stated Mace hurts him badly, its no minor little injury. When he appeared choking and coughing in the film, I had such a huge smile, and then I thought, how many people will sit wondering why does Lucas have a character with lung cancer.

Also he's been trained to understand how the Jedi attack, Dooku tells him he will be no match for Jedi Masters, there is a big difference between a Jedi and a Jedi master.

Also for those of you interested in the Cartoon and the book, they are both great and almost entirely Consistent, a few minor changes in the way they describe the events leading up to the film.

bboisvert 05-20-05 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by shaggy
Also he's been trained to understand how the Jedi attack, Dooku tells him he will be no match for Jedi Masters, there is a big difference between a Jedi and a Jedi master.

He seemed to be kicking Shaak Ti's + Ki-Adi-Mundi's ass in the cartoon. :hscratch:

Mmmmmm... Shaak Ti's ass... :drool:

Ketamine 05-20-05 03:18 PM

I saw the cartoons and read LoE and that is why I expected more. Yeah, I know Mace hurt him, but I do think it is a problem of knowing much about Grevous and why he is having trouble breathing for those people who haven't watched the cartoon. In the cartoon, he is taking out jedi right and left including jedi masters. I find it hard to believe he has only come across weak jedi to have all of those lightsabers as trophies. Ki-Adi-Mundi seems to be one of the jedi masters in the cartoon that Grevous easily beat only to be saved when a troop of clone troopers saved him. He should have at least put on a better show against Anakin and Obi-Wan the first time he saw them instead of running scared. I just wish we would have seen him take out a few jedi before Obi-Wan got to him. That would have given him a little more credibility as a bad ass to those people who didn't watch the cartoon, and would make Obi-Wan seem that much stronger as a jedi in the movie knowing that many other jedi had fallen before Obi-Wan settled the score. Instead, we get a bad guy that runs or has someone else attack everytime he sees a jedi.

Ketamine 05-20-05 03:33 PM

Another thing, from Starwars.com, they make him out to be a badass stating that he even wanted to take out Anakin and Obi-Wan to add their light labers to his collection. I can't say that I see that from watching the movie. I guess you can go back and say that he was injured by Mace and he isn't as effective, but again, you really wouldn't know that from just watching the movie and most people I know will not watch the cartoon so they needed to do something in the movie itself to show how dangerous Grevous was instead of just showing that he has a bunch of light sabers.

Taken from starwars.com:

A twisted melding of flesh and metal, General Grievous' body is a deadly weapon forged by the cutting edge developers of the Confederacy. Within the hardened carapace beats the heart of a remorseless killer. Grievous hunted Jedi for sport and proudly displayed his victims' lightsabers around his belt as trophies of his conquests. His unorthodox fighting form and mechanical enhancements gave him an edge in close-quarters combat, and his strategic ingenuity and flawless cunning rendered him almost invincible against the Jedi.

mikehunt 05-20-05 04:36 PM

Grevious was way too over the top in the cartoons (although almost everything was in those)
I'm glad he was toned down for the movie, and personally wouldn't have minded if he was removed all together

Jackskeleton 05-20-05 05:35 PM

I'm also glad they toned him down for the film. the cartoons were just way over the top. I'm sure a lot of folks are going/ are mad about him getting punked. But I thought he worked so fuck'n perfect in the film that I already put down $450 for thsi

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_asset...26_image02.jpg