Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Deleted Scenes in Ep3?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Deleted Scenes in Ep3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-05, 10:41 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deleted Scenes in Ep3?

I saw Ep3 last night, is it my imagination or are there scenes in the trailers that didn't appear in the film?

I also saw some screen shots from another thread that were not in the film, if so hopefully they will be available on the DVD.
Old 05-19-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As with all of the prequels, Lucas was editing this one right up until the last minute. There is tons of stuff cut out -- including pretty much all of the seeds of the rebellion. (There was a whole subplot with 2000 senators that wanted Palpatine to step down, it introduced Mon Mothma (from RotJ), etc.) All of that -- and, consequently, most of Padme's interesting scenes -- ended up on the (virtual) cutting room floor.

I've also read that the Jedi Ghost thing was better explained (in an actual scene with Liam Neeson) that didn't make it in.

I'm sure there's tons of other stuff as well. I'm really hoping that the DVD for this one will be jam-packed with cut scenes.
Old 05-19-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I read the screenplay and there were some good scenes missing though I don't know that all were filmed.

For one Yoda bringing up Qui-Gon makes no sense with the scene between them missing. It is in the script and hopefully it was filmed.

They dream sequence is longer in the script.

The conversation between Obi and Padme is in the script but the scene is missing. When Anikan asks if Obi had been there it came out of the blue, but there was an actual scene there.

Also there was Yoda stuff missing. There is a scene where the Wookies and Yoda hide from the Clone Army and also a scene with Yoda arriving on Degabah.

You get to see more of the seeds for the Rebel Alliance forming in the script as the Senators start to get together against Palpatine.

Those I can remember off hand.

Last edited by darkside; 05-19-05 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-19-05, 10:50 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought so, when I was watching the movie, it did seem obvious that the movie was edited........damn, hopefully Lucas doesn't be an asshole and releases the footage
Old 05-19-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fok
it did seem obvious that the movie was edited........
Every movie made is edited.
Old 05-19-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Every movie made is edited.
Old 05-19-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, he seemed surprised by that fact. Captain Obvious' services were needed.
Old 05-19-05, 08:59 PM

i had heard that there was a different cuts of the movie on digital and film. supposedly these scenes were added to the digital version? but from what it sounds like i probably heard wrong.
Old 05-19-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the shot of the shuttle in the beginning of the last trailer wasnt in the film either...
Old 05-19-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
My question is what's in the digital version that I missed in my non-digital theater...I heard Yoda going to Dagobah might be one of the scenes left in the digital version.

Considering how much screen time those Ewoks got in ROTJ, the Wookies really got screwed in ROTS. What did they get, like five minutes of total screen time?
Old 05-19-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, but Chewbacca was a major character in all 3 movies. I think that more than makes up for it.
Old 05-19-05, 11:55 PM

there are mad filmed scenes that didnt make it, shaak ti's death was filmed, as was the part where obi is in the water, after getting shot down he swims in a bunch of caves with droids and big fish monsters and crap. A ton of dooku footage was cut down, the dvd better be like 4 hours.
Old 05-22-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Wow all this sounds interesting. And to think if GL started with AOTC instead of TPM, we probably would have gotten all of this in the theater.

Here's hoping the DVD is full of the deleted stuff edited back into the film.
Old 05-22-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

About the only two I really care about are Yoda landing on Dagobah and the Qui-Goin/Yoda scene.
Old 05-22-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
About the only two I really care about are Yoda landing on Dagobah and the Qui-Goin/Yoda scene.
Although I would be happy with just those two scenes reinstated on the DVD version, I'd like all the other scenes added too because some events felt a little too rushed.
Old 05-22-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a shot of Padme's ship leaving the lava planet in the trailers that was not in the film.
Old 05-22-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 184 Posts
Just what we need. More shots of ships taking off/landing.
Old 05-22-05, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
Anakin killing Shaak Ti in the Jedi Temple was removed

Dialogue between young Han Solo and Yoda at Kashyyk (removed from script, no actual scenes shot)

Senator meeting with Mon Mothma, Padme, character played by Bai Ling

Those are ones that come to mind (from Making of Revenge of The Sith book).
Old 05-22-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by alfredog1976
Senator meeting with Mon Mothma, Padme, character played by Bai Ling
I think the reason why Bai Ling character is not in the movie is because of her Playboy appearance. Didn't that pissed off GL?
Old 05-22-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I think the reason why Bai Ling character is not in the movie is because of her Playboy appearance. Didn't that pissed off GL?
Couldn't Lucas have removed her digitally? And if she had lines, couldn't he have filmed a different actress seperately and insert her into the scene?
Old 05-23-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is where I get confused. I thought we were supposed to want "the director's vision" on the DVD. So OAR is so important, but cutting room floor stuff needs to be added back or someone is an asshole?
Old 05-23-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Terrell
About the only two I really care about are Yoda landing on Dagobah.
I don't really need to see Yoda landing on Dagobah... but I would like to know why Luke seems to think there's "something familiar about this place."

I guess I always assumed that Luke spend a least a brief few moments on the planet as a youngling. To plan that line in Episode V and then not follow through on it feels like a cheat.

I keep coming back to the same thought. Lucas should have written all of these prequel scripts before filming a single second of footage. He should have sat down and thought "Where do we need to be when the credits roll on III?" And then worked backwards... making sure that every idea/theme/relationship was clearly defined throught all 3 films. The way he wrote them seems to have resulted in a lot of wasted screen time, and a lot of "important" things that were rushed at the end and left vague/unclear (and not in a good way).
Old 05-23-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I don't think that had anything to do with it...

Mon Mothma and Shaaki Ti were cut from this film as well, and they didn't pose nude (dammit).

He had a lot of story to tell in this film, and a bunch of shit (mostly Coruscant/Senate stuff) landed on the cutting room floor. I don't get the sense that he gives two shits if Bai Ling shows her boobies or not.
Old 05-23-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
This is where I get confused. I thought we were supposed to want "the director's vision" on the DVD. So OAR is so important, but cutting room floor stuff needs to be added back or someone is an asshole?
With Lucas, I think it's becoming clear that his "director's vision" changes from day to day... I think people are just hopeful that he'll reconsider some of his choices for DVD (as he has, incidentally, for every single one of the Star Wars films to date).
Old 05-23-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Right, but it's his right. It's his movie.

I watched a fuzzy VHS copy of the original "Ewoks singing" ending to Jedi last night because I missed seeing that ending, it had been years.

But it is George who is doing this. Not whoever the family sold the rights to posthumously or something. So why call him an asshole for a fluid vision? Frustrating maybe, but not an asshole.

It's like a stupid review of the OT DVD on Amazon where someone gave it 1* due to the changing for the special edition. Cmon. You may not like the changes, but 1*? So it's worse than Monster In Law?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.