Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dooku & Palpatine / Droids vs. Clones

Old 05-19-05, 05:24 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Dooku & Palpatine / Droids vs. Clones

As a non-Star Wars expert, can anyone unravel some of the events from Episode 2 as they relate to Dooku & Palpatine and the clone war?

Based on the fact that we know Dooku & Palpatine are in cahoots, what was the point of the clone war, since both sides (clones & droids) were essentially created by the same side? Is the whole war just a big charade to create unrest and speed Paplatine's rise to power? Sorry if this is an easy question, it just seems like some of Ep2's events have been "clouded by the dark side", if you will.

Thanks!
Jon
Old 05-19-05, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SubZeri
Is the whole war just a big charade to create unrest and speed Paplatine's rise to power?
Yup. In TPM Palps/Sidious assists the Trade Federation blockade to cause his assension to Supreme Chancelor...using Padme as well to call for a vote of no confidence. I am also sure there were other senators he influnced/corrupted to gain the seat of Supreme Chancelor.

In AOTC Palps uses Dooku and the Seperatists to create a threat to the republic...justifying the creation of The Army of the Republic...and to also create emergency powers he can abuse down the line

The point of the Clone Wars was to weaken the power of the Jedi...to reduce their numbers...and to spread them throughout the galaxy...I would think the goal is the same in regards to the Seperatists.

In ROTS it all hits the fan and he double crosses everyone.

Wow...now I realize how much more complex the plot for the PT is than the OT...damn you Lawrance Kasdan for not agreeing to write the screenplays!

Last edited by KnightLerxst; 05-19-05 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-19-05, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
Yup. In TPM Palps/Sidious assists the Trade Federation blockade to cause his assension to Supreme Chancelor...using Padme as well to call for a vote of no confidence. I am also sure there were other senators he influnced/corrupted to gain the seat of Supreme Chancelor.

In AOTC Palps uses Dooku and the Seperatists to create a threat to the republic...justifying the creation of The Army of the Republic...and to also create emergency powers he can abuse down the line

The point of the Clone Wars was to weaken the power of the Jedi...to reduce their numbers...and to spread them throughout the galaxy...I would think the goal is the same in regards to the Seperatists.

In ROTS it all hits the fan and he double crosses everyone.

Wow...now I realize how much more complex the plot for the PT is than the OT...damn you Lawrance Kasdan for not agreeing to write the screenplays!

well said......if you read Cloak of Deception(it's EU but ties right in with TPM) you see how many senators are under Palpatines control. he does a great job of dropping subtle hints to get what he wants that way the senators think he's in it for the republic and not for power. he's behind the scenes so obviously he'd make a fair and noble Supreme Chancelor.....
Old 05-19-05, 05:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Wow, thanks for the responses, guys! I just wanted to make sure I had it straight before attempting Ep3. Can't wait!
-jc