Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Jedi and Sith for Dummies

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-18-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've watched the movies - like all of you - countless times. However, there's so much I don't know about the Jedi and the Sith that is alluded to in the film.

Thought we could do a little infomation thread for folks like me.

Let me start off:

-----------------

(According to the new book on George Lucas, Christopher Lee says The Sith were former Jedi. Count Dokuu was one of the "lost 20".

If you want to contribute, it might be interesting to also site your source (if you know it.) Would be interesting to separate what comes from Lucas and what comes from other writers and is simply approved by him).

I know little about the Jedi trials, the prophecy...etc. What do you know?
Old 05-18-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Well if you bring EU into it the original Dark Jedi were kicked off of Courasant and went to live on another planet wnere they conquored the original Sith. Eventually the 2 races co-habitated forming what is now known as the Sith. They were power hungry and blah blah blah the rule of 2 came about. It's been that way for centuries now. This is more or less from KOTOR

The lost 20 were not nececarily Sith but just Jedi that believed in using the Dark side of the force. I think the only reference to the lost 20 is in a cut scene from ATOC but I could be wrong on that.
Old 05-21-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lucas sez the Jedi are supposed to be diplomats and not warriors. They are supposed to fight to only defend themselves. They're doing things in the clone wars that they aren't trained to do - like being generals.
Old 05-21-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Timber
The lost 20 were not nececarily Sith but just Jedi that believed in using the Dark side of the force.
Actually, I don't believe it has anything to do with the 'dark side'. Weren't the Lost 20 just the only Jedi to ever voluntarily leave the order? (It's been a while since I've read the Episode II novelization, so I may be confused...)

If they were dark side users, Mace's line about Dooku ("He couldn't assassinate anyone, it's not in his character.") wouldn't make sense. The 20 were just individuals who left for whatever reason, as I suspect Anakin would have done if he hadn't been so desparate to save Padme.
Old 05-21-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Right you are bboisvert. In the novelization of Ep. III, it defines the "lost 20" as jedi who left the order. It has no mention of the dark side. By the way, I would recommend the novelizations of all of the prequels. I'm not one to get into the Extended Universe, but these novels provide some good insight to character motivations (Anakin's turn to the dark side is handled very well) that provides some to context to the films.