DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Was Han Solo supposed to be in Episode 3? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/423117-han-solo-supposed-episode-3-a.html)

Kube 05-17-05 10:51 PM

Was Han Solo supposed to be in Episode 3?

I saw in a making of book an exchange between a 10 year old Han Solo and Yoda. I was rushed for time and I couldn't read more or buy the book. Anyone know?

I'm glad he didn't show up. I think that would've been silly. Not everything should tie to get in a neat little bow. I also like the idea that Han changed his own path and wasn't part of the prophecy.

slcsnkman 05-17-05 10:55 PM

nope....Lucas could never find a decent role plus he would have been way to young

milo bloom 05-17-05 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kube
I saw in a making of book an exchange between a 10 year old Han Solo and Yoda. I was rushed for time and I couldn't read more or buy the book. Anyone know?

I'm glad he didn't show up. I think that would've been silly. Not everything should tie to get in a neat little bow. I also like the idea that Han changed his own path and wasn't part of the prophecy.

I seem to remember seeing that somewhere else, but I can't remember the book either.

And just because he wasn't in the movie, doesn't mean the Force wasn't subtly moving him along....

;)

bboisvert 05-17-05 11:00 PM

He was in the first draft of the script briefly. But he was cut early on and was never filmed. Which is a good thing.

Kube 05-17-05 11:11 PM

The book was a hard covered Making of book..i think page 41.

This book shouldn't be confused with the Art of, The Visual Dictionary, the novelization, etc etc.

I think I'm gonna get this book as it appears to be filled with the most info about the plot elements and taking them seriously -which is what I really care about.

There's an annotated screenplay book for the first trilogy which talks about Lucas's early ideas.

Has anyone read the Adventures of Luke Starkiller draft - which tells the entire first trilogy in one fat script (so Lucas sezy). He said it ends with the Emperor being thrown down the shaft.

Has anyone read any early drafts for Sith?

caligulathegod 05-18-05 04:15 AM

Here's Star Wars (episode 4)

Original Treatment

First Draft

Second Draft

Third Draft

Fourth Draft

Flynn 05-18-05 11:59 AM

The book was a hard covered Making of book..i think page 41.

This book shouldn't be confused with the Art of, The Visual Dictionary, the novelization, etc etc.

I think I'm gonna get this book as it appears to be filled with the most info about the plot elements and taking them seriously -which is what I really care about.

There's an annotated screenplay book for the first trilogy which talks about Lucas's early ideas.

Has anyone read the Adventures of Luke Starkiller draft - which tells the entire first trilogy in one fat script (so Lucas sezy). He said it ends with the Emperor being thrown down the shaft.

Kube,
It's a really good book, I've bought all the books on the shelves pertaining to this film and this is the best by far. Very informative - it's like a making of documentary (on-the-set) for the entire production. Very cool. And yes, I'm so glad they didn't use Han Solo in this episode - after seeing the film, it's obvious it would've been VERY out of place.

Kube 05-18-05 04:04 PM

caligula....thanks for the links...if i ran a studio i might not have given Lucas the $ based solely on that treatment. I'm going to read the others too.

Fok 05-18-05 04:36 PM

would be nice if they made a movie about Han Solo before ep4

bboisvert 05-18-05 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Fok
would be nice if they made a movie about Han Solo before ep4

Well, it's still possible... the TV show is going to take place between III-IV. And if Han Solo doesn't fit into the show for whatever reason, they could always do a one-off 2-hour movie, like Babylon 5 started doing at the end of its run.

Kube 05-18-05 09:46 PM

Seeing Han would be fun however it's very unlikely from a story/character point of view.

They aren't going to make a lead character in a tv show completely selfish and unrepentant. It's only through the events in Star Wars 4 that change him from someone who cares only about money into someone who takes care of others. If they show a hint of his good side in the events that take place before 4 then they are further and further diluting his character from anti-hero to simple hero.

Cusm 05-19-05 09:16 AM

Seeing Han would be fun however it's very unlikely from a story/character point of view.

They aren't going to make a lead character in a tv show completely selfish and unrepentant. It's only through the events in Star Wars 4 that change him from someone who cares only about money into someone who takes care of others. If they show a hint of his good side in the events that take place before 4 then they are further and further diluting his character from anti-hero to simple hero.

You forget the reason he is traveling with Chewie and is not in the Imperial Fleet is not due to his unrepenant selfishness.

Kube 05-19-05 10:50 PM

Why is that?

Isn't he a smuggler. Witout politics - other than looking for money?

C-Mart 05-19-05 11:58 PM

Yes he is a smuggler, just out for money, and very selfish, but the reason Chewie is with him is that Han freed Chewie from Imperial captivity. Han was on the road to becoming a high level Imperial officer... I believe he was a liutenant (sp?) when he rescued Chewie. Chewie owes Han a "life debt" like Jar-Jar in TPM... which I'm sure he has repaid several times.

GaryEA 05-20-05 12:05 AM

Is this currently in print? I'd very much like to read that.

Wait, are you referring to the old "Art of" books (for the OT), or is this something different?

Thanks.:)

EDIT: Never mind. I just found it. Thanks again!

Kube 05-20-05 09:32 AM

I got the annotated book at a used bookstore...but it might still be in print.

There are many Sith related books...one of them is Art of Revenge of the Sith (or a similar title). Each film has one. It shows concept drawings, paitings, etc. There is also creatures or characters of Sith...sticker book of Sith etc.

(Nevermind you found it)

PopcornTreeCt 05-25-05 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod

That original treatment sounded a lot like Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress. Even the big General dude that grunts and scratches himself a lot is much like Toshiro Mifune.

Kube 05-25-05 03:33 PM

Did Han do "bad things" as part of the Empire.

I would have thought that he's too much of a loner to even made it a day in the army. Would have thought he would have run away b4 enlisting or being drafted.

Groucho 05-25-05 03:42 PM

I'm glad they didn't include Han Solo. There were way way way too many "When they were young" cameos as it was.

Mr. Cinema 05-25-05 07:40 PM

Me too. No need to throw in everything from the OT.