DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Why does Obi-Wan suck at dueling? *SPOILERS* (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/422948-why-does-obi-wan-suck-dueling-%2Aspoilers%2A.html)

Lara Means 05-17-05 01:11 AM

Why does Obi-Wan suck at dueling? *SPOILERS*

Lets review the movies!

Episode 1: Obi-Wan gets owned by Darth Maul. Getting kicked in the face and tossed around. It's only by luck does he kill Maul by catching him off guard.

Episode 2: Obi-Wan gets owned by Darth Tyrannus. No doubt about it.

Episode 3:
Spoiler:
A) Obi-Wan gets owned again by Darth Tyrannus and is knocked out. B)Obi-Wan gets owned by General Grevious. It's only by luck does he kill Grevious by catching him off guard with a freaking blaster. C) Obi-Wan gets owned by Darth Vader. It's only because of Vader's stupidity that Obi-Wan leaves this battle alive.

Episode 4: Obi-Wan gets owned by Darth Vader again and dies.

WTF!

Terrell 05-17-05 01:26 AM

It's only by luck does he kill Maul by catching him off guard.
Luck had nothing to do with it. Maul was the one that wound up dead, and that's all that matters. Even Qui-Gon was killed by Maul.

Obi-Wan gets owned by Darth Tyrannus. No doubt about it.
True, because Dooku was stronger.

Obi-Wan gets owned by General Grevious. It's only by luck does he kill Grevious by catching him off guard with a freaking blaster.
What is with all this luck stuff? Everytime Obi-Wan wins, you call it luck. I call it being better.

Obi-Wan gets owned by Darth Vader again and dies.
Um, what film were you watching. Obi-Wan intentionally lowers his saber and sacrifices his life for a greater pursuit.

As for the Vader battle, it comes down to experience by Obi-Wan, not to mention Vader is out of control and is often careless and impetuous because of his anger.

story 05-17-05 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Terrell
Um, what film were you watching. Obi-Wan intentionally lowers his saber and sacrifices his life for a greater pursuit.

What film were you watching?! Obi-Wan raises his saber for his sacrifice! Nerd fight! Nerd fight! Nerd fight! ;)

KnightLerxst 05-17-05 04:17 AM

What film were all of you watching...Obi-Wan raises his saber and Vader swings through it!!!

:D

Terrell 05-17-05 04:25 AM

Obi-Wan raises his saber for his sacrifice! Nerd fight! Nerd fight! Nerd fight!
:lol: Okay...okay!

Josh-da-man 05-17-05 04:46 AM

Obi Wan killed Darth Maul. This was a Sith who was able to hold his own against a Jedi Knight and his Padawan. And he killed the Master before he was finally taken out by the Padawan. Luck? Not really. Did Maul let his guard down? Sure, but that's how a lot of fights like that are won.

Dooku was a badass. Obi Wan left the battle with Dooku less damaged than Anakin, who lost an arm. Hell, even Yoda had a pretty tough time against him.

Ain't seen ROTS yet, so I can't comment.

In ANH, Obi Wan was fighting Vader to buy time, and ultimately sacrificed himself for the greater good. No telling how that fight would've turned out otherwise. Besides, it was two broken old men rehasing a twenty year-old feud.

KnightLerxst 05-17-05 06:27 AM

Whenever my friends are horseing around with anything resembling a lightsaber someone always spins around and goes "There...I did Obi Wan's ONE move" Ya just gotta love that duel from Episode IV...

It cracks me up everytime..

BassDude 05-17-05 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
Whenever my friends are horseing around with anything resembling a lightsaber someone always spins around and goes "There...I did Obi Wan's ONE move" Ya just gotta love that duel from Episode IV...

It cracks me up everytime..

When my sons and I play the head-to-head feature in the new Episode III XBOX game and we choose the Old Ben Kenobi and suited Darth Vader, we fight slowly and trade blows one at a time. Your comment made me laugh thinking about this. :)

bboisvert 05-17-05 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lara Means
It's only by luck does he kill Maul by catching him off guard.

"In my experience, there's no such thing as luck."

Fok 05-17-05 11:36 AM

Guess OB1 is a bit of a Pus&y when it comes to fighting. I wonder if he gets lucky during the last duel with Anakin?

Turd Ferguson 05-17-05 12:17 PM

Obi-Wan sucks at dueling?!!! Bitch, please....

BudSeriously 05-17-05 01:06 PM

It's kind of like the Andre the Giant character in the Princess Bride. Obi-won is used to fighting a bunch of people/droids at the same time, and not so much one-on one. -smile-

bigsoos 05-17-05 01:44 PM

Blah, can't even comment on this

KnightLerxst 05-17-05 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by BudSeriously
It's kind of like the Andre the Giant character in the Princess Bride. Obi-won is used to fighting a bunch of people/droids at the same time, and not so much one-on one. -smile-

INCONCEIVABLE!!!

KnightLerxst 05-17-05 02:11 PM

Oh and I think the only time he only sucked dueling was in a New Hope...and that is because Guiness and Prowes were not exactly the most nimble of people...despite Peter Diamond's chorography...I am surprised that Lucas hasn't digitally altered the sword fight yet.

Timber 05-17-05 02:23 PM

Look at who trained him. Qui Gonn sucked with the Saber himself. He got owned by a young punk (Maul) as soon as it was one on one. I think Kenobi is lucky to as turned out as average as he did with that kind of teaching. Living Force my ass.

:)

Josh H 05-17-05 02:33 PM

I'd say it's unusual for a Jedi to beat a Sith 1 on 1.

Look at how many Jedi Masters they send to face Sidious in the trailer.

So yeah, Obi Wan needed some carelessness/overconfidence after killing Qui-gon on Maul's part to kill him.

Dooku didn't make that mistake and easily bested Obi-wan and Anakin and held his own against Yoda.

And as others have said, he let Vader strike him down, so that's irrelevant.

Kudama 05-17-05 05:56 PM

I like the way Vader and Kenobi dueled in part V. It was reminiscent of kendo. I don't mind the wire-fu jedi shenanigans, but I still think the first one had that samurai charm to it.

And I don't think Kenobi sucks at all. Most of us would probably lose a limb just sawing wood with one of those things. Give him some props.

devilshalo 05-17-05 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kudama
I like the way Vader and Kenobi dueled in part V.

Obi-wan and Vader dueled in Empire? :confused:

Dr. DVD 05-17-05 06:31 PM

Obi-Wan got owned? More like he owns everyone else!

Superboy 05-17-05 08:35 PM

Considering how much the Sith "cheat", I don't think it's entirely unbelievable that the Jedi routinely get their asses kicked.

Tyranus was clearly the better of Maul. Maul never once used force lightning, nor do I think he was capable of doing so. And Tyranus was his better in combat.

For those who have seen Episode III or read the novel:

[spoilers]Anakin kicks Dooku's ass by channeling the Dark Side. Also, it's hinted that Sidious makes Dooku lose.[/spoilers]

bhk 05-17-05 09:18 PM

Only one thing counts: Who's left standing in the end.

Kudama 05-17-05 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Obi-wan and Vader dueled in Empire? :confused:

Damn! For a while I thought V meant 4.

Fuckin' Romans. I still can't tell what year a movie's been made because of them. Out with the Pope (let's turn this into a religeous thread!)

(Oh Yeah. Don't drink at work! And post as well.)

(joke, in case my IT guys are tracking me.)

DthRdrX 05-17-05 10:30 PM

You have to remember though that he was trying to capture Dooku, not kill him.

My theory is quite simple actually. Obi-wan could defeat Anakin, the chosen one, by himself mostly because of the Master-Teacher relationship they had. What about the Dooku/Qui-Gon relationship? Isn't is logical to assume that Dooku knew what Obi-wan was doing before he did? Considering Obi-wan taught Anakin wouldn't Dooku know Anakin's style as well?

Kube 05-17-05 11:26 PM

Obi-won isn't the most powerful Jedi or Sith in the 6 films - not by a long shot. He isn't supposed to be the baddest dude around.