DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Grade ROTS thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/422798-grade-rots-thread.html)

taa455 05-16-05 09:25 AM

Grade ROTS thread

I know we have the review thread, but I don't want to be anywhere near possible spoilers. Thus, I have created a simple poll. Everybody chime in with your grade after you see it.

zutroy 05-16-05 09:29 AM

I really, really liked it. 4.5

Minor qualms and some awkward moments, but overall, engrossing and well done.

Ky-Fi 05-16-05 10:13 AM

Exactly what zutroy said.

Ky-Fi 05-22-05 02:43 PM

bump..

Maxflier 05-22-05 03:48 PM

I think it could have been better,especially the first two-thirds of the movie which i found very slow.But overall a very good movie.

SuprVgeta 05-22-05 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by taa455
but I don't want to be anywhere near possible spoilers.

Then you should certainly know to stay far, far away from online message boards before seeing a movie.

As for the grade I'm going with 4.5. There was still some things that felt out of place which kept it off 5 stars for me.

JohnDoeUSA 05-22-05 05:08 PM

5 stars, 2 thumbs up, and a bag of chips!

Dabaomb 05-22-05 05:13 PM

I gave it 3.5 stars for several reasons:
1) Wooden acting and TERRIBLE dialogue
2) The middle hour dragged like no tomorrow (did we really need all that time of Obi-Wan riding that stupid CGI lizard?)

Josh H 05-22-05 05:26 PM

4 stars.

Great flick, but can't rate it higher for some weak dialogue and acting in places.

raven56706 05-23-05 08:10 AM

the thing that pissed me off the most was padme. " Anakin, your breaking my heart " sucked

QuiGonJosh 05-23-05 08:13 AM

5!!

Kaffe_02 05-23-05 08:16 AM

4.5 It was pretty much what I expected and surpassed my expectations in a few places.

Deadman31 05-23-05 08:30 AM

2.5 I didnt hate but it didnt live up to my expectations. To me, it seemed no better or worse than the previous two movies.

rexinnih 05-23-05 09:02 AM

4.5! Enjoyed it. Great way to end the series. Not perfect but damn enjoyable.

B.A. 05-23-05 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dabaomb

Agreed.

I also thought it could have been a little longer. I thought the time went by pretty quick and they could have taken their time w/ the ending.

taa455 05-23-05 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by SuprVgeta
Then you should certainly know to stay far, far away from online message boards before seeing a movie.

I came to the board the day before I was going to see the movie on opening night, just to get a feel from the few who had already seen it. I had already seen all the trailers and whatnot, so no big deal.

As for my grade, I gave it 4 out of 5. Huge improvement from the other prequels, but still had several flaws. Great movie though. I will definitely be buying the DVD on release day. I can't wait to watch it on my home setup.

moonraker 05-23-05 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Deadman31
2.5 I didnt hate but it didnt live up to my expectations. To me, it seemed no better or worse than the previous two movies.

I feel the same way. It was *much* closer to the other two prequels than to the orginal trilogy.

QuikSilver 05-23-05 02:08 PM

It was somewhat slow in the beginning and I started to yawn a lot. But near the second hour, it was great. Episode III is way better than the two previous ones.

devilshalo 05-23-05 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dabaomb

Exactly, though what saved it was Ian MacDiarmid. Deliciously evil! :up:

paulringodaman 05-23-05 02:18 PM

4.5 - A very very good movie. Almost a masterpiece.

MJKTool 05-23-05 02:20 PM

SpaceBoy 05-23-05 02:21 PM

4/5 - 2 thumbs up
Problems
1. Thought the acting was as bad or worse then the previous 2.
2. Thought it was to long, with the whole grievous part being unneeded, and only added as filler, the same wtih the battles with the wookies. Cut an hour out and have it just around anakin imho.
3. Grievous, just thought he was dopey esp with the coughing and him doing nothing but running away from fights.

good
To many to list.

Dabaomb 05-23-05 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Exactly, though what saved it was Ian MacDiarmid. Deliciously evil! :up:

except when he turned into the melting Wicked Witch of the West during the scene where he tried to electrocute Mace. Plus, he sorta looked like PruneFace from Dick Tracy.

Fok 05-23-05 02:23 PM

Liked it a lot, was the best prequel, but not as good as the OT ones.

IanH 05-23-05 03:52 PM

:thumbsup:

1. I enjoyed most the action scenes (Rescue of Palpatine, Obi-Wan tracking down Grievous, Purge of the Jedis, Yoda vs. Emperor, and Obi-Wan vs. Anakin)
2. I enjoyed the humour with R2D2 (I'm definately an R2 fan)
3. I actually liked General Grievous. He was a bit of a coward which was different and more real.
4. Better performances overall by everyone
5. When Padme could sense Anakin changing over to the Dark Side that really worked for me. No words, just the faces of Anakin's darkness and Padme's sense of dread intercutting. Showing what was happening was even more effective than trying to explain with words of his transformation. Too bad Lucas spoiled it with even more words.
6. Obi-Wan giving Anakin a well deserved ass kicking. Even though it came much too late from Obi-Wan to be of any use that boy needed it and it was a long time coming. :rock2:

:down:

1. Besides the usual problems I had with the Prequels in general....
2. The Middle chapter of Episode III really lagged. It seemed like Lucas really took his time expaining the transformation of Anakin but couldn't really convince me.
3. Thus the dramatic impact was reduced at the end for me.
4. The final scenes (Vader's Mask/Birth of Luke and Leia/The Organas adopting Leia/The Owens adopting Luke) all looked hurried and slapped together. Yeah, it showed what I've been dying to see all these years but not very well.