Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why is ROTJ Luke dressed in black?

Old 05-13-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All the Jedi in the prequels and ANH and ESB are shown in brown robes. All the Sith are dressed in black robes. When ROTJ Luke enters Jabba's palace, with the cowl over his head, he could be easily mistaken for a Sith.
Old 05-13-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I often wondered that myself. When I first saw it I just assumed that was a Jedi attire. Now having seen the prequels I think it's just Lucas' way of showing darkness. Anakin's attire has gotten darker between the AOTC and ROTS. I just don't think they did a good job of making you think that Luke had anything close to a mean streak in him.
Old 05-13-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the super nerd in me coming out...but what about him also using the force choke on the guards...I had always thought that was a dark side thing.
Old 05-13-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
This is the super nerd in me coming out...but what about him also using the force choke on the guards...I had always thought that was a dark side thing.
That's true. I forgot about that.
Old 05-13-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i think it was because he looked better in black and didnt want to show his fatness
Old 05-13-05, 03:17 PM

Back in the 1980's, black was considered a "cool" color. They even put out jeans in that color!
Old 05-13-05, 03:18 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since Luke was the last Jedi, guess he could do wear what he wants
Old 05-13-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well black is very slimming...
Old 05-13-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At least he wasn't wearing a "Jedi-edition" Members Only jacket.
Old 05-13-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fok
Since Luke was the last Jedi, guess he could do wear what he wants

Actually, one could argue that he was the first of the New Jedi Order!

The title of Return of the Jedi can mean two things. It's obvious it means the return of the Jedi Anakin Skywalker, but it can also imply the return of the Jedi as a whole with Luke being the first.
Old 05-13-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always thought the black robes symbolized his possible "turn to the dark side". He almost came pretty close towards the end of the film.
Old 05-13-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah...I always thought the black was symbolic of how similar his path was to his fathers...this is even mentioned in the narriation of "From Star Wars to Jedi".
Old 05-13-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
or it could be that clothing choice has no affect on anything
and it looked more like force chest pain than force choke to me the way the gamorians reacted. and he didn't kill them just made them back off
Old 05-13-05, 06:15 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Or maybe brown wouldn't go with the black glove.

Also look wasn't a traditional Jedi, he started training late and there weren't too many others to guide him.
Old 05-13-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anakin wore a similar outfit through-out Episode 2. While it wasn't black like Luke's, it was a similar style, and was a dark brown. I think Luke's cloak in the start of ROTJ might have been dark brown as well, but I'm not going to check.

The real answer is symbolism, the movie is about how Luke is/isn't like his father... but I somehow doubt that there are Jedi rules saying what colors you can and can't wear... especially as the Jedi are all wiped out by the time Luke is wearing that outfit.

Also, yes, Luke choked the guard, but why is that a "dark side power"? that's video game stuff... maybe stuff like the lightning is a power drawn from the darkside, but choking someone is really just a nasty way to use the force.

Again, symbolism.
Old 05-13-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the answer is two fold...

The black color in Jedi shows Luke's progression from callow youth to man...Star Wars he wore white...Empire he wore tan and in Jedi ..black...that was the progression.

And we are supposed to wonder/fear if he too will repeat his father's mistakes and turn to the dark side..like his father...he was impulsive and didn't finish his training...ruled by passion Luke is...so close for turning to the dark side.
Old 05-13-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kube
I think the answer is two fold...

The black color in Jedi shows Luke's progression from callow youth to man...Star Wars he wore white...Empire he wore tan and in Jedi ..black...that was the progression.

And we are supposed to wonder/fear if he too will repeat his father's mistakes and turn to the dark side..like his father...he was impulsive and didn't finish his training...ruled by passion Luke is...so close for turning to the dark side.
I agree.

Everyone has to remember that when ROTJ came out we didn't know what Luke would do. The Force Choke that Vader had used combined with the black outfit might have tipped a few people that he could possibly turn to the darkside. Also, I wouldn't doubt if the outfit was black to stand out during the Sail Barge scenes, much like his lightsaber was changed from blue to green.
Old 05-13-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darqleo
my guess is, the original plan was to have him in black after the part where yoda dies... cause he's in morning. They filmed one of those scenes first and Hamil went to Lucas and said, "damn George, I like this outfit, you can hardly see my potbelly! can I wear it the rest of the flick?" Lucas, agreeing that Hamil was becoming a fat azz (and thanking his lucky stars that it was the final episode lest he be forced to write a subplot about Luke being 1/4 Hut) agreed.

j
Old 05-14-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's cause black is the new black.
Old 05-14-05, 07:17 PM

I think that in ROTJ Luke was supposed to be borderline between Light and Dark sides of the force. Wouldn't that make sense for building suspense to the end when he is given the final choice of whether or not to join Vader and Palpatine?

In ESB he loses his arm and has it replaced with a robotic arm, this parallels Vaders turn to the Dark side as he is essentially a cyborg. When we first see Luke in ROTJ, we really don't know who it is in that Dark outfit. I'm pretty certain that was deliberate.

In the end he is not only resists the dark side but brings Anakin back. I think these details are what gave an element of suspense and believability to Palpatines attempt at bringing Luke into his service.
Old 05-15-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also recall an interview with someone, poss Hamill, where Hamill is fitted with the black outfit for the first time and says to Lucas something about it being kinda Vader-ish. Lucas supposedly replied that was sorta the point.

And maybe it's just me, but has anyone else ever noticed towards the end, when the chest flap has come down and it's a lighter color?
Old 05-15-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Luke bought his Jedi clothes at Hot Topic.
Old 05-15-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What the heck? HAVE YOU ALL FORGOT THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY?! Forget the NT with all this dark/light fiasco.

Am i the only one that watched the movies at all? Let's completely forget the NT for now. I remember thoroughly watching the movies in the early 90s SW to RoTJ Obi-Wans "robe" was just the attire of tatooine and its inhabitants, a brown/tan rags/robes like the Jawas and countless of the characters. That wasn't at all anything to do with the Jedi's. Come RoTJ Luke wearing the black outfit, THAT is what the Jedi Knights of old truly wore.
But then Lucas goes back to the NT making all Jedi's in the ragged attire since Kenobi wore it in SW.
Old 05-16-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
Isn't Luke's struggle between light/dark drawn out in the novelization?
Old 05-16-05, 02:14 AM

From the pictures we've seen from ROTS Anakin seems to be wearing lots of black even before Palpatine seduces him to the Dark Side. I have a feeling its because Lucas thinks it just looks good and sets a character apart and not some conscious thing in order to seperate Jedi from Sith. Maybe Lucas doesn't really care about being consistent and only cares about what might look cool in the films.

Last edited by IanH; 05-16-05 at 02:45 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.