Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Was "Unleashed" (a.k.a. "Danny The Dog") cut in its US release version?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Was "Unleashed" (a.k.a. "Danny The Dog") cut in its US release version?

Old 05-13-05, 11:13 PM
Li

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whynotsmile
just saw it and was a bit dissapointed. action scenes were great, though extremly over the top(some parts seemed like really violent power rangers). i hated the step daughter and the whole middle of the movie with morgan freeman teaching Jet Li how to live didn't work for me. Some good stuff, but overall, just didn't get me going much.
Yeah, I felt the same way.
Old 05-14-05, 12:34 AM

Not disappointed at all here...but, I got exactly what I wanted, an action movie with a heart. It's been a long time since something like Leon came along, that is competent in both action and storytelling. Usually one or the other suffers greatly. It's one of the best films I've seen in a while (on the big screen, at least). Highly recommended.

But, I too was wondering if something was cut toward the end.
Old 05-14-05, 04:15 AM
Banned

I didn't get the sense that anything was cut, like KoH, which is good. I thought it was a pretty tight picture, didn't seem to be much fat. Either way, I can't wait for the DVD and I sincerely hope it has a awesome DTS track, the sound in the theater was great!
Old 05-14-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
As I said, I need to see the film again as, given the responses in this thread, I'm assuming that Freeman's character made a bigger impact on me and that's why I assumed he had more screentime. He was like that uncle you wanted to visit more often, as he was so likeable.

And, yes, the audio was fantastic. Regarding the bald goon, how about when they fought in the stall? That was awesome!

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-14-05 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-14-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Saw it. While Besson did not direct it, you could tell he had his fingerprints all over the flick. This movie reminded me a lot of The Professional in the way it presented a contrast of two drastically different worlds and in a way two different movies. Whenever Danny was a "dog" so to say, you got a look at a gritty underworld complete with hookers and drugs, and when he was with Freeman and his family, it was like watching a family film almost.
I have to also give the movie credit for having top notch acting from everyone. Jet Li's performance really blew me away, and it is rare to find an action star who can both act well and kick serious ass, which he did. I also marked out minorly when Morgan Freeman
Spoiler:
conked Hoskins on the head at the end.
Freeman definitely gave the movie heart.

I give it a solid B. Entertaining movie with not much of plot, but a neat one nonetheless with quality action and acting to back it up.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 05-15-05 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-15-05, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I found this film a little uneven. For script purposes, I guess you just have to accept the exceptional generosity of the Morgan Freeman character, Sam, and his step-daughter, Victoria. Re-introducing Danny into being a human being was kinda sweet and syrupy, but some of it was cute, and Jet Li was able to get that lost innocence across in his reaction to a new world of possibilities after been raised a "dog" who did his "owner's" (Bob Hoskins) bidding whenever the leash was taken off Danny.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B- (but worth catching in a matinee).
Old 05-15-05, 09:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it. While Besson did not direct it, you could tell he had his fingerprints all over the flick. This movie reminded me a lot of The Professional in the way it presented a contrast of two drastically different worlds and in a way two different movies. Whenever Danny was a "dog" so to say, you got a look at a gritty underworld complete with hookers and drugs, and when he was with Freeman and his family, it was like watching a family film almost.
I have to also give the movie credit for having top notch acting from everyone. Jet Li's performance really blew me away, and it is rare to find an action star who can both act well and kick serious ass, which he did. I also marked out minorly when Morgan Freeman[/spoiler] conked Hoskins on the head at the end.[/spoiler] Freeman definitely gave the movie heart.

I give it a solid B. Entertaining movie with not much of plot, but a neat one nonetheless with quality action and acting to back it up.

Thanks for spoiling a scene in the movie for me.
Old 05-15-05, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Elldubtoo
Thanks for spoiling a scene in the movie for me.
Well if you dont want spoilers why are you reading this thread. Anyway this movie was good the action scenes were some of the best that I have ever seen in a movie. Jet Li is the man.
Old 05-15-05, 10:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by moviesaregreat
Well if you dont want spoilers why are you reading this thread. Anyway this movie was good the action scenes were some of the best that I have ever seen in a movie. Jet Li is the man.

Because I wanted to know if Danny the Dog was cut in the US release version.

And if this was a spoiler thread why did the poster attempt to black out the spoiler (even if he failed)?
Old 05-15-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Elldubtoo
Because I wanted to know if Danny the Dog was cut in the US release version.

And if this was a spoiler thread why did the poster attempt to black out the spoiler (even if he failed)?

Fixed, you happy? Not the act but the thought that counts, right? I tried to black out the spoiler, it was just a minor faux pas.
Old 05-15-05, 11:43 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, but did not fully realize why until they showed the very first name of the closing credits....

Yuen Wo Ping!!
Old 05-16-05, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts
Decent movie, and haven't heard anything about a cut. Entertaining, but a bit hammy at times.
Old 05-16-05, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by moviesaregreat
This is a thread concerning the movie's length in different markets, not its plot. I can't find any info on differences in cuts, even on IMDB.
Old 05-16-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoilers -

I just got a screener of Unleashed, and to my surprise found out that it was the Danny the Dog cut, same credit sequence but just Danny the Dog instead of Unleashed and just Music by Massive Attack instead of +Rza. From what I saw of this cut, all it has thats missing from the US cut is a longer shopping scene (with bread) and Freeman talking about the virtues of cooking and then Li discovering the wall of photos, with Freeman going on to tell him about his family's history, about him marrying his best friend's wife (she was his friend also) and how she died in a car crash when the girl was seven and he lost his sight in the same crash. Everything else seems to be the same, even the annoying bit where the movie ends with 20 guys with guns still in the building looking for Li.

End
Old 05-16-05, 01:20 PM
Banned

Sounds like it was stuff cut for pacing issues, I imagine we'll probably see an Unrated DVD with that cut.

Oh and there weren't 20 guys looking for him because he whooped their asses then took on the dude in white.
Old 05-16-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Thanks for the info, harosa. And, though there weren't 20 guys left, there were at least eight that were still around after Jet Li fought with the bald guy. Including one of Hoskins' henchment that, during the last action sequence, was behaving as if he wandered off the set of a John Woo movie being filmed next door. I was really hoping for Danny to whoop his ass but nothing happned.
Old 05-16-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was exagerrating a bit by 20, looking again it was more like 8 or so, and 4 definitely with guns. All it needed was the sounds of police sirens as it faded to black as they hugged, that couldve easily explained why they rabbited.