DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Does Universal Plan On Promoting Romero's Land Of The Dead? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/422230-does-universal-plan-promoting-romeros-land-dead.html)

Gizmo 06-16-05 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jadow
bub is the main character

I wish. But its 'Big Daddy' instead.

Seantn 06-17-05 04:06 AM

I saw this film yesterday.

I loved it, but it's not as great as Dawn '78, which is my favorite one. The film wasn't without it's faults, but I still really liked it. This film has a very different feel to it. It has tons of human characters in it, so they really are equal to the zombies in terms of #. The city has hundreds, if not thousands of people in it. Only thing that slightly bothered me was that
Spoiler:
Big Daddy acts a bit too human. I know that they're evolving and getting smarter, but he almost just walks around like a regular guy in one part of the film

Tons of violence. I don't know how they got away with all this stuff in an R-rating. People being ripped apart (including an arm being ripped in half starting at the top of the hand...the zombies grab onto the guys fingers and pull them apart as if it was a wishbone from a Turkey!) Really good effects.

Drop 06-17-05 08:16 AM

Sweet review Sean. The gore sounds excellent. I'm sure with more viewings you will get used to things and you might feel differently. I wasn't completely sold with Day when I saw it, but now I adore it.

Rival11 06-17-05 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Seantn
I saw this film yesterday.

I loved it, but it's not as great as Dawn '78, which is my favorite one. The film wasn't without it's faults, but I still really liked it. This film has a very different feel to it. It has tons of human characters in it, so they really are equal to the zombies in terms of #. The city has hundreds, if not thousands of people in it. Only thing that slightly bothered me was that
Spoiler:
Big Daddy acts a bit too human. I know that they're evolving and getting smarter, but he almost just walks around like a regular guy in one part of the film

Tons of violence. I don't know how they got away with all this stuff in an R-rating. People being ripped apart (including an arm being ripped in half starting at the top of the hand...the zombies grab onto the guys fingers and pull them apart as if it was a wishbone from a Turkey!) Really good effects.

Would you say it's better than the Dawn remake as well?

Matthew Chmiel 06-17-05 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by duckhouse
You said you went to Cinevegas in another thread. Are you planning to go to the LotD premiere on the 18th?

The Land of the Dead premiere is "overbooked." As of now, the entire premiere will be that of VIP. However, if a few of them don't show up, passholders will be able to enter the theater; but it's a slim chance a regular joe would be able to get in.

Hell, with the premiere of Standing Still last night, only 100 or so "passholders" were able to enter the theater as the rest were roped off for the film's cast, crew, and VIP involved with the festival.

Matthew Chmiel 06-18-05 02:45 AM

Bump.

While I may not be seeing the film at CineVegas tomorrow (I'm not even going to attempt to try and enter the clusterfuck that'll probably occur), I was able to score free passes to a screening of the film on Monday.

So I'll have a review then! ;) :thumbsup:

Jackskeleton 06-18-05 03:18 AM

Wait.. this comes out next week? Wow, if only universal advertised this...

Matthew Chmiel 06-18-05 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Wait.. this comes out next week? Wow, if only universal advertised this...

Ha ha ha. You're real funny. ;)

However, some insight after talking to some people on line at CineVegas this evening....

1. The film's premiere tomorrow night will mostly consist of the film's cast and crew, people from Universal, and CineVegas "VIPs" (celebrities and press). This is common knowledge to me. However, it's not common knowledge to the people attending the festival.

2. A lot of people with CineVegas passes are going to try and get a seat for the screening tomorrow. However, as I mentioned earlier, the "theater" is already overbooked. But since some people won't show up (as that's guaranteed to happen), the CineVegas staff will let a few passholders in. From the looks of the line at The Devil's Rejects, a majority of the line was aiming to get into the screening tomorrow. A majority of these dumb fucking idiots even rejected passes to Monday night's free screening of the film thinking they wouldn't need it as they'll get in tomorrow night. Yeah right. Okay.

3. In addition to said passholders trying to get in, there will be people on a "waiting list" trying to get into the screening.

As I said, it screams "clusterfuck" (similar to the screening of The Aristocrats at CineVegas on Monday in which only 100 "passholders" were allowed to enter the theater).

jaeufraser 06-18-05 08:21 PM

Figured I'd post this here...and tell everyone go watch this mvoie so we can have more!

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050617h.php

Romero Plans More "Dead" Films

"Land of the Dead" is the follow up to the classic George Romero 80's film "Day of the Dead" and if all goes well with this new release it will the beginning of a whole new "Dead" series.

The producers and director George Romero told the IESB that a sequel to this new film will made if this film is successful. Considering that "Land of the Dead" cost less than 20 million to produce, DVD sales alone should guarantee a profit to the studio.

In fact, all other projects of the helmer will have to take a backseat in the immediate future if Universal decides for an immediate follow up to "Land of the Dead" including his involvement in Mick Garris' Masters of Horror Anthology that is currently being filmed in Vancouver.

The next film will be a second chapter to the story that we see in Land of the Dead, we will see the surviving characters continue their search for survival in what has become a World of the Dead.

Thanks to 'Robert'

RyoHazuki 06-18-05 08:29 PM

Damn. I would much rather see a Bruiser trilogy made.

Matthew Chmiel 06-18-05 08:43 PM

Will let's hope that Land of the Dead is good so the above news story would be considered good as well. :)

Jackskeleton 06-18-05 08:47 PM

Well, only if Universal actually plans on advertising and promoting those future films, you know.

Matthew Chmiel 06-18-05 08:55 PM

Well, only if Universal actually plans on advertising and promoting those future films, you know.

You know, maybe they might take their sweet time with those films. Give Romero all the time in the world he needs to complete it so it could have a fully successful ad campaign. Maybe they can release it in the fall and have commercials during the World Series. :)

juanmgonzalez 06-18-05 09:31 PM

I watch tv all the time. Hell I work for a studio and I'm amazed on how little this is promoted. I mean, come on Universal. If you want to make some money and not screw over Romero then atleast an advertisment of some sort. Bus stop posters? some tv time wouldn't hurt. I listen to popular music and talk radio that the demographic is males 18-40 and not a single promo. Maybe you guys are listening to Spanish stations and AM where no one would hear it. Universal really has it in for Romero, That's for damn sure!

Those bastards!

KROQ radio in LA is a big enough market leader that is currently playing the commercial.

I heard it today and i'm sure that they'll get some publicity from the Kevin and Bean show soon, if they haven't done so already.

Jackskeleton 06-18-05 09:40 PM

You... do realize... that I was being a smart ass with those comments... right?

It's a ploy, since this thread was started with the idea that for some unknown reason, Universal wouldn't promote this film and here we are a good week away and the ads have been going for the last week and a half at full blast.

Gerry P. 06-19-05 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Damn. I would much rather see a Bruiser trilogy made.

You are a sick, sick man. :)