Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Does Universal Plan On Promoting Romero's Land Of The Dead?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Does Universal Plan On Promoting Romero's Land Of The Dead?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't read through the whole thread but...

The trailer's already in theaters, today the first poster went up, and it arrived with a big ass box of promotional shit to be set up through out the month.

Poster looks pretty cool too.
Old 05-11-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
actully, i was refering to the other scott. scott1598. The comment was made because Zombie used a bunch of smileys in his post the way scott1598 does. Thus I asked if they were related in a comical way.

wasn't refering to you, so no need for the classy statement.
Old 05-11-05, 11:52 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
actully, i was refering to the other scott. scott1598.

Specify, dude. Specify. I find it helps.
Old 05-12-05, 07:28 AM

I certainly hope so(that's if it's as good as the classic NoTLD and Day of the Dead. Hopefully its better than that dreck Dawn).
Old 05-12-05, 02:20 PM

I saw the trailer last night in front of UNLEASHED.

The trailer plays much better on the big screen, lemme tell ya.

I wouldn't worry about LAND - it's in good hands.
Old 05-12-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Zombie67
I should try to defend Romero to all you people who call him a one trick pony, but why bother. You'll just come at me in full attack mode again.
I think Romero is the greatest modern horror filmmaker alive today. He's not a one trick pony. I guess that you've never seen Martin, Knightriders or The Crazies. Not to mention Creepshow. And Bruiser wasn't a great film, but it wasn't trash either.

I actually own them all, even Bruiser. I love Romero I just flew off the handle at the dig at Craven you took to make your point.

eh, no harm, no foul.
Old 05-12-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joltaddict
I love Night, Dawn and Day but youre out of your mind. Romero is a one trick pony. Im thrilled that hes returning (finally) to the only thing hes good at but you cant compare him to Wes Craven. Craven spawned a million rip offs after LHOTL in the 70s, revitalized the entire genre in the 80s with NOES and did it again in the 90s with Scream.
Originally Posted by joltaddict
I actually own them all, even Bruiser. I love Romero I just flew off the handle at the dig at Craven you took to make your point.
Old 05-12-05, 05:51 PM

Hey MIKEWENDT could you please give details about the promotional items that came in that big box for Land Of The Dead?

I'm not only a big fan of Romero, I'm a major collector of all things Romero.
Let me know what I need to be looking for on EBAY.

joltaddict I'm glad to see you're a fan of Romero as well. Sorry, for attacking Wes Craven. I do enjoy some of his films (Even the "Music of the Heart" one). I just used him as an example because he's so powerful in the horror world and seems to not even try sometimes when he's given millions to make anything he wishes. Meanwhile, poor Romero is left rotting on the vine wanting to start a project, but can't get funding.

I can get carried away sometimes. I know that I have nothing to gain if Land Of The Dead is a big hit or if it bombs. I just want to see Romero get some respect for once.
Old 05-12-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

joltaddict I'm glad to see your a fan of Romero as well. Sorry, for attacking Wes Craven. I do enjoy some of his films (Even the "Music of the Heart" one). I just used him as an example because he's so powerful in the horror world and seems to not even try sometimes when he's given millions to make anything he wishes. Meanwhile, poor Romero is left rotting on the vine wanting to start a project, but can't get funding.
I agree. I like both directors but Romero has had to scrap to make every movie, yet Craven gets $35 million to make Cursed and $14 million to make Vampire in Brooklyn.
Old 05-12-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by brainee
Universal is planning on timing a "Shaun of the Dead" double-dip to co-incide with LotD's release, with those wonderful "exclusive previews" that these double-dip packages have. I don't know if this will be one of those "free ticket" deals as well. So that's some marketing there, though the double-dip annoys me (I can't see what new can be added to the Shaun DVD to make me rebuy, short of a free ticket to land, and a sale price equal-to-or-less than it would cost me to see LotD in theaters).
If they included all the special features of both the US and UK DVD versions of Shaun Of The Dead would be a nice way to get people to double dip. But, other than that, I agree that there's not much to add to it.
Old 05-12-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hey MIKEWENDT
I can get carried away sometimes. I know that I have nothing to gain if Land Of The Dead is a big hit or if it bombs. I just want to see Romero get some respect for once.
Well, that's not entirely true. If Land of the Dead becomes a moderate or big hit, it means more Romero. For that reason, I fully support your feelings that this film should do well, because I'd love to see more Romero. So, therei s that benefit in seeing this film succeed. Which is why I wish it the best and will be there opening weekend, ready for some truncated gore!
Old 05-13-05, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I agree. I like both directors but Romero has had to scrap to make every movie, yet Craven gets $35 million to make Cursed and $14 million to make Vampire in Brooklyn.
But, come on! For Craven (especially post-Scream), those are low budgets.

And $14 million for a vampire movie with a bankable name like Eddie Murphy is peanuts.
Old 05-13-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yea, but Romero never even got a budget close to Craven's until Land.

I think it mostly comes down to Romero being a guy who likes to control his movies as much as he can. This usually means unrated, and in this day and age that is pretty much impossible. The studios recognize that and so they just kind of pass on him. Of course with zombie craze back, and unrated editions following on DVD, Romero is given another chance. They know this film will profit.
Old 05-13-05, 12:46 PM

Hey MIKEWENDT could you please give details about the promotional items that came in that big box for Land Of The Dead?

I'm not only a big fan of Romero, I'm a major collector of all things Romero.
Let me know what I need to be looking for on EBAY.
The only thing I've seen is the one teaser poster... But the box is about 4ft tall & 2ft wide... I'm guessing it's one of those big ass cardboard stand-ups. It also came with 4 extra cyliders, containing either more posters or large vinal banners. The banners would be cool we had the really cool ones for Sin City (one for each character).
Old 05-14-05, 12:02 PM

Thanks Mikewendt for the update on the LOTD promo stuff.

This may be a harder film to collect stuff for since it's being handled by a big studio. I'd love to get my hands on all the stuff you mentioned.
Oh well, the hunt is on...
Old 05-14-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by mikewendt
Poster looks pretty cool too.
Yeah, it does. I saw it hanging at the theater today.

Last edited by DJLinus; 05-14-05 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-15-05, 01:50 AM

That's it... My theater got 3. Guess where one of them is? Yup. Right in my room next to the extra Devil's Rejects one we got.

My suggestion on collecting stuff is go to your local theater and ask a manager to put your name and number on it. Or make friends with someone that works there so they can put thier name on it.

I'll be looking to get them both signed at the Rock-n-Shock Convention this Oct. Bill and Sid on the Rejects & Romero on the Land...

Last edited by mikewendt; 05-15-05 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-15-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
I'm really interested to see if they will reply............I'm not bashing you or anything but I think you went a little overboard here.

Will you post the reply if you get one?
Old 05-15-05, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11
I'm really interested to see if they will reply............I'm not bashing you or anything but I think you went a little overboard here.

Will you post the reply if you get one?

I'm not 100% what you mean by that... Who has to reply? If you're refering to:

"I'll be looking to get them both signed at the Rock-n-Shock Convention this Oct. Bill and Sid on the Rejects & Romero on the Land..."

I still don't know what kind of reply I would need to get. They're scheduled to be at the Con in Worcester, MA this Oct. So all I would have to do is go and ask them to sign... Right?
Old 05-15-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Yes.
Old 05-15-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
I'm not 100% what you mean by that... Who has to reply? If you're refering to:

"I'll be looking to get them both signed at the Rock-n-Shock Convention this Oct. Bill and Sid on the Rejects & Romero on the Land..."

I still don't know what kind of reply I would need to get. They're scheduled to be at the Con in Worcester, MA this Oct. So all I would have to do is go and ask them to sign... Right?

I'm guessing that he's talking to the topic creator about his original post, the very same post found right here.

I didn't read through the whole thread but...
There's your problem right there.

Last edited by lopper; 05-15-05 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-16-05, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I have to agree. Aside from what I see on this board, I have yet to see a damn thing about this movie. I've seen more stuff for Duchovny's movie, and that's not coming out until July or August!
Old 05-16-05, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I have to agree. Aside from what I see on this board, I have yet to see a damn thing about this movie. I've seen more stuff for Duchovny's movie, and that's not coming out until July or August!
and by "July or August" I assume you mean "Mid-April, AKA about a month ago".
Old 05-16-05, 01:46 PM

I'm not trying to start any trouble in the forum force or beat a resting horse with this but...

When I first started this post I was slammed for not being aware (I'm very well aware of how distribution of films works) that TV commericals don't begin airing until about two weeks before a film is to be released. I was told to be calm and not worry about it.

Well...last evening while watching the Fox Sunday lineup and then later watching the Survivor Finale that I recorded I saw the following TV Commericals for films being released this summer...

Bewitched - June 24 (same day as Land of the Dead)
Herbie - June 22 (two days before LOTD)
Batman Begins - June 17th
War of the Worlds - July1st
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - July 15th
Dukes of Hazzard - mid August

So again I ask Universal Pictures, Where are the Land Of The Dead TV Commericals ?
I just found this kind of funny after the playful attacks I received.

Last edited by Zombie67; 05-16-05 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-16-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
I'm not trying to start any trouble in the forum force or beat a resting horse with this but...

When I first started this post I was slammed for not being aware (I'm very well aware of how distribution of films works) that TV commericals don't begin airing until about two weeks before a film is to be released. I was told to be calm and not worry about it.

Well...last evening while watching the Fox Sunday lineup and then later watching the Survivor Finale that I recorded I saw the following TV Commericals for films being released this summer...

Bewitched - June 24 (same day as Land of the Dead)
Herbie - June 22 (two days before LOTD)
Batman Begins - June 17th
War of the Worlds - July1st
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - July 15th
Dukes of Hazzard - mid August

So again I ask Universal Pictures, Where are the Land Of The Dead TV Commericals ?
I just found this kind of funny after the playful attacks I received.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.