Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Who is going to JAWS FEST in Cape Cod?

Old 05-09-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Who is going to JAWS FEST in Cape Cod?

I'd love to check it out but I doubt I'll be able to get away.

Might be fun-hell it's Cape Cod so that's a start right there.

Event Tickets & Passes Are Now Available for Sale. Click “Buy Tickets” or Call (508) 693-7157 from 9am - 5pm EDT

In 1974, a group of filmmakers arrived on Martha’s Vineyard to make a movie, based on a popular best-selling novel. The movie - JAWS©.
The impact of that film on popular culture and the entertainment industry is legendary. Now, thirty years later in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the filming of Jaws, the Martha’s Vineyard Chamber of Commerce will launch Jaws Fest, an annual 3-day event for Jaws fans from around the globe.

Jaws Fest '05 Official Event Details
Event Dates: June 3 - 5, 2005

Jaws Fest begins as guests arrive by ferry or plane and are greeted with signage and banners welcoming them to AMITY ISLAND. Local businesses will again display their 1975 signage from the filming, and over 25 members of the original cast & crew return to Amity for a fabulous weekend celebration. See schedule of events for where and when to see cast & crew.

Jaws will be playing on the big screen in local theaters as Peter Benchley, Carl Gottlieb, Joe Alves and Roy Arbogast, Shari Rhodes and others oversee the ribbon cutting ceremony at 10:00am Friday morning to kick-off the 3-day event. At 10:30 Carl Gottlieb and Bill Gilmore will sign autographs at The Harborside Inn and Joe Alves will present a wonderful anamatics display and discussion on how the Jaws special effects were created at the Whaling Church.

Mid-day Friday, the fans will travel to the Tabernacle in Oak Bluffs, the neighboring town, to hear Peter Benchley speak at 1:30 pm about his experiences with Jaws and the “star” of the movie--the Great White Shark.

Later that night, at the beach at Owen Park in Vineyard Haven, Mike Haydn will play the music from the opening scene of the movie while a bonfire burns on the beach. Shortly afterward, Jaws will be shown on an outdoor movie screen creating a one-of-a-kind viewing experience on Vineyard Haven Harbor.

We are pleased to announce that Universal Studios will be bringing the launch of the 30th anniversary JAWS DVD to Jaws Fest. Check back for more information on where you can be the first to see this new footage.

At the West Tisbury Grange Hall, just up from Alleys General Store, the worlds largest display of authentic Jaws props, memorabilia and private photography will be open to the public, allowing fans to experience JAWS - BEHIND THE SCREAMS all weekend long. This in-depth look at the impact of Jaws, how the film was made, rare behind-the-scenes photographs, costumes and screen-used props, will be supplemented by the showing of numerous documentaries about Jaws and the impact this ground-breaking movie has had on our culture.

In Vineyard Haven, the Chamber of Commerce office will serve as a central location where fans can obtain JAWS FEST SCHEDULES OF EVENTS & AMITY ISLAND MAPS that detail where the hallmark scenes from the film occurred. Participants can sign up for Island-wide Jaws tours to visit the many filming locations and participate in a weekend long TRIVIA HUNT where they can test their Jaws knowledge and win prizes at the closing events.

JAWS-FROM THE INSIDE OUT will present a series of educational forums and discussions with cast and experts as VIP speakers. These include:

• Sharks, Great Whites & the Waters Around Amity Island: Greg Skomal & Aidan Martin, shark experts and marine biologists to speak.
• JAWS Place in Film History: Carl Gottlieb, Stephen Prince, Joe Fordham, Bill Gilmore
• A Mechanical Shark, Floating Faces and Other Special Effects: Joe Alves, Greg Nicotero, Roy Arbogast
• Locals, Not Just “Extras” & More: including casting director Shari Rhodes, Jeff Voorhees (Alex Kinter), Jay Mello (Sean Brody), Bob Carroll (selectman); and Jeffrey Kramer (Hendricks).

(Edgartown) AMITY TOWN HALL will be a VIP hub on Saturday where fans can mingle and obtain autographs from members of the cast and crew in the back meeting room used in the film. A detailed schedule of signings will be available by May 5th. Those confirmed to date include:

• Joe Alves
• Carl Gottlieb
• Jeffrey Kramer
• Jay Mello
• Greg Nicotero
• Marc Gilpin
• Bill Gilmore
• Lee Fierro
• Bob Carroll
• Jonathan Searle
• Steven Searle
• Jeff Voorhees
• Kristy Kingsbury Henshaw
• Edith Blake
• Shari Rhodes
• Roy Arbogast

Please note, Peter Benchley will be attending Jaws Fest but will not be signing autographs at the event.

On Saturday night, the AMITY BALL will bring fans together at the Hot Tin Roof at the airport for a celebration that will be the highlight of the weekend. Mingle and take photos with the cast & crew, hear great live music from Entrain, enjoy great food and desserts provided by Island chefs. Special guest appearances and a silent auction are also planned for this event.

Throughout the weekend participants will have the opportunity to become part of the Jaws legacy as Jaws Fest becomes part of the filming for a new documentary-in-the-making: JAWS - THE SHARK IS STILL WORKING, by James-Michael Roddy & Erik Hollander. Pre-production screenings from this documentary, focusing on the enduring legacy of the Jaws films, as well as interviews with production personnel, fans and celebrities that were inspired by the film will be shown in a variety of venues across the Island.

Due to circumstances beyond our control, the Shark Half Marathon has been canceled. Please check back next year.

The closing event of the weekend will be the JAWS FEAST, A TRADITIONAL NEW ENGLAND CLAMBAKE including lobster, chowder, steamers, corn, chicken & more where fans can gather, share their weekend experiences, mingle with cast & crew and receive prizes for the trivia hunt. Numerous VIP’s will also be available for autograph signings at this event.

SPECIAL VIP AND CELEBRITY DINNER OPPORTUNITIES are also in development and will allow a very limited number of fans the opportunity to experience a once-in-a-lifetime encounter with their favorite actor or production expert. Details on how to obtain Platinum and Gold event passes which will be required for these events is detailed on the Tickets and registration page of this site.

Ancillary Events: Hosted by Island Businesses in conjunction with Jaws Fest '05

• The Vineyard Nursing Association will be hosting Fashion Fest on Saturday from 3:00 - 6:00 pm. Presenting a collection of apparel, jewelry and accessories to dress you for every invitation this summer, Fashion Fest will be held at the secluded Lambert’s Cove Inn. Limited front row reserved seating and general seating tickets are available by calling 508-693-6184 ext.31. All proceeds benefit the Vineyard Nursing Association of Martha’s Vineyard.

• Shark in the Pond! Shark in the Pond!
The YMCA will host the “Shark in the Pond” swim on Saturday June 4th from 11-1pm. For ages 5-10. Food, prizes and fun for the entire family. When you hear Shark in the Pond! Shark in the Pond! Run into the pond and gather as many sharks as possible, run back to shore and drop them into a net – run back in and grab some more. Prizes for the most sharks gathered. 1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place prize for age groups 5-7 and 8-10. First place prize for both groups will be a wet suit.

• The Eisenhauer Gallery
Paul McPhee, premiere marine artist, will be exhibiting his incredible paintings that celebrate the movie JAWS at the Eisenhauer Gallery adjacent to the Colonial Inn, in Edgartown throughout Jaws Fest. Contact the Eisenhauer Gallery (508) 627-7003 for a “meet the artist” schedule. To preview Paul’s work please visit www.eisenhauergallery.com.

• Jaws Brunch
Join comedy writer, Marty Nadler (Laverne & Shirley, Happy Days) at Jaws Breakfast table for Sunday brunch at Zephrus Restaurant, with his friends Jeff Kramer, Carl Gottlieb and ???
Sunday, June 5, 9:30 am 508.693.2200
$19 /person, Free for Mansion House Inn guests

• Friday, June 3 5:30-7:30 PM and
Saturday, June 4 5:30-7:30 PM
Jaws Fest Sunset Boat Tour with the Skipper
Trip will include a fun filled Jaws themed tour of filming locations only seen from the water. Beer, Soda and Shark Bite appetizers are included (also, maybe a fish or two.) Keep in mind, “We might need a bigger boat!”
For information and reservations please call the Skipper at 508-693-1238
$45.00 adults, $30.00 children

• Edgartown Books will be hosting Carl Gottlieb for book signings on Saturday.

• Heath Hen Yarn & Quilt Shop will be giving away gift certificates for the best entry using a “JAWS” theme. Knit, crochet, felt or quilt.
Deadline is Friday, May 27. Under age 12 category included.

• Martha’s Vineyard Sightseeing will be offering 2 tours daily on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, beginning at 10:30 am and 1:30 pm. Tours will be leaving from Church Street in Edgartown. $19.00 - adults, $5.00 children.
Please call 508-693-1555 for more info.

Book your accommodations for Jaws Fest '05 now. Click here to view accommodations providers.

Thank you for your interest in Jaws Fest '05!

http://www.mvy.com/jaws/
Old 05-09-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would have loved going, but alas, it's friggin' expensive.
Old 05-09-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

----

I would LOVE to go.

I understand why SPIELBERG or even l'il RICKY DREYFUSS wouldn't be able to attend, but jeez, they couldn't score ROY SCHEIDER?

What the hell is he doin?
Old 05-09-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep-big bucks of course.

The Gold pass is $200 less than the Platinum. All you miss is a Cocktail reception and one autographed item by Peter Benchley.

GOLD PASS
Date: JUNE 3-5
Time: ALL TIMES
NOTE: SCHEDULE CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE TO THIS PASS. Includes one ticket to each of the following events: The Amity Ball at the Hot Tin Roof, all 4 Workshop Series Sessions, Behind the Screams Exhibits, Jaws Feast Clambake and the Friday Night VIP Cocktail Party.

The Gold Pass also includes an autographed collectors book, the Jaws Fest’05 Map, Trivia Hunt Card, Schedule of Events, and a certificate for Universal’s 30th anniversary JAWS DVD.

Passes are non-refundable and non-transferable. Photo ID will be required at events.

Please be prepared to provide a list of Gold Pass holder names via email after receiving order confirmation.
Limit 6 per person
$495.00 each
Old 05-09-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wouldn't it be super cool if a real shark started feeding there around that time?
Old 05-09-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Wouldn't it be super cool if a real shark started feeding there around that time?
That could probably be arranged. Just start another chum marker.
Old 05-09-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I would have loved going, but alas, it's friggin' expensive.

"We're gonna need a bigger wallet"
Old 05-09-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Man, that will be an aweomse time. I won't be there but it's someting I would have loved to attend.
Old 05-09-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd love to see Jaws in the theater.
Old 05-09-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll never forget seeing Jaws in the theater. That Ben Gardner scene scared the hell out of me!
Old 05-09-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
I'll never forget seeing Jaws in the theater. That Ben Gardner scene scared the hell out of me!
My memory of that scene. I'm 7 and my mom had a big tub of popcorn. Ben pops out and the popcorn bucket goes flying 4 rows and lands on some people.
Old 05-09-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While everyone is here, I have a Jaws question.

I'll spoiler tag just in case someone hasn't seen the first three movies....

Spoiler:
Did the sharks in Jaws 1, 2, and 3 die by gas explosion (compresed air), electricity (power cable), and explosives (bomb) respectively?
Old 05-10-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
While everyone is here, I have a Jaws question.

I'll spoiler tag just in case someone hasn't seen the first three movies....

Spoiler:
Did the sharks in Jaws 1, 2, and 3 die by gas explosion (compresed air), electricity (power cable), and explosives (bomb) respectively?
yes. What? No love for 4?

I'd love to go to this thing. Too expensive for means. But it'd be wonderful if the movie gets some big screen showing's around the country for the anniversary.
Old 05-10-05, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Seeing that Jaws is my favorite movie, I wish I could go. My wife even said I should, but cash flow is a bit tight right now after attending Celebration 3. [sigh]
Old 05-10-05, 08:31 AM
Banned

I would love to go...but...no one to go with.
Old 05-10-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Amel
yes. What? No love for 4?
It's not that (but none at all). It has to do with another shark movie.

Spoiler:
Deep Blue Sea has multiple references to Jaws 1-3, including how each of the the three sharks are killed. I wasn't sure I remember how the shark died in Jaws 3.
Old 05-10-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
It's not that (but none at all). It has to do with another shark movie.

Spoiler:
Deep Blue Sea has multiple references to Jaws 1-3, including how each of the the three sharks are killed. I wasn't sure I remember how the shark died in Jaws 3.
But, Jaws The Revenge is one the greatest comedies ever made

Spoiler:
It's worth viewing just to see Michael Caine battling a great white shark and Mario Van Peebles with that awful hair and accent And in 3 I think the shark is killed by the homemade grenades that the "crocodile hunter" type guy had brought
Old 05-10-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What was Celebration 3?
Old 05-10-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Make sure you all wear your heavy wool sweaters. It will be June, after all - no sense chancing it with the weather.

Take the example set by all the people in the movie Jaws - practically all of them were wearing sweaters on the Fourth of July weekend. Must be the chill off the ocean...
Old 05-10-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
What was Celebration 3?
Huge Star Wars convention held in Indianapolis a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.starwarscelebration.com/

http://www.starwars.com/c3/
Old 05-11-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah yes. Star Wars. A good time had by all?