DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Any dark surrealism DVD's to recommend? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/421613-any-dark-surrealism-dvds-recommend.html)

eternalmothug 05-07-05 01:25 PM

Any dark surrealism DVD's to recommend?

Films that kind of have the atmosphere of "Eraserhead" "Un Chien Andalou", "The Brothers Quay Collection". It can be black and white/color animated or silent.

I'm already aware with the works of Svankmajer and Jodorowsky, I plan on getting them as soon as possible. But are there any other directors, dvd's that have that surrealistic dark dreamlike imagery that I can find out there to blind buy?

Ralph Jenkins 05-07-05 01:49 PM

There is an animated film from Japan that I think would fit the bill called Tenshi no tamago (Angel's Egg), but it's not easy to find. It was released on DVD in Japan (region 2, of course) but I believe it's now out of print. The film was directed by Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell, Avalon) and follows a pale young girl with flowing white hair who wanders through a ruined city with a large egg.

I'd also recommend Michele Soavi's Dellamorte Dellamore (a.k.a. Cemetary Man), which is wonderfully dark and surreal. It's import-only for the time being (although the Italian DVD is very nice) but Anchor Bay has plans to release it in region 1.

inri222 05-07-05 02:01 PM

The Orphic Trilogy
Dementia / Daughter of Horror
Glen or Glenda
Jacob's Ladder
The Wall
Videodrome
Persona
The Tenant
Audition

Filmmaker 05-07-05 02:41 PM

Well, since you've kicked off the master of surreality, David Lynch, with ERASERHEAD, why not keep going with THE SHORT FILMS OF DAVID LYNCH (only available at his website), BLUE VELVET, WILD AT HEART, TWIN PEAKS: Season One, TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME, and MULHOLLAND DRIVE...

NavinJohnson 05-07-05 02:57 PM

I second this: Dementia / Daughter of Horror

Excellent choices inri222

The Bus 05-07-05 03:02 PM

I don't think I would put Audition in the "surreal" category although it is a dark film.

What about Fantastic Planet?

TomOpus 05-07-05 03:31 PM

Carnival of Souls came to mind.
Pi and Requiem for a Dream.

For animated, Waking Life might fit the bill.

BiMonSciFiCon 05-07-05 07:05 PM

How about Naked Lunch, Freaks, City of Lost Children and one of my favorites - Siesta (1987)

Cygnet74 05-07-05 08:17 PM

Twin Falls Idaho -- i didn't like it, but it is lynchian to say the least.

also, some surrealist filmmakers (to varying extents)...

Bergman, Borowczyk, Breton, Bunuel, Cocteau, Cronenberg, Erice, Fellini, Gilliam, Holland, Kusturica, Medem, Mizoguchi, Sembene.

slowcloud 05-07-05 09:50 PM

Man, some bad advice on some films here... beware! But, also some real good advice. I happen to love surreal film. If you like brothers Quay, check out their main influence: Jan Svankmajer. There are compilations of his shorts available in the U.S. There are also his features, like his classic Alice and his latest Otesanek. You should also check out Guy Maddin. I just bought Tales From the Gimli Hospital, which seems to be real dark and surreal, but I have not watched it yet. I think those fit your requests best.

But let me also emphasize some of the suggestions already made here (as far as what I have seen):

Fantastic Planet
Jacob's Ladder
The Wall
Videodrome
Naked Lunch
Persona
Audition
City of Lost Children
(any David Lynch goes without saying)

Let me add:
Werner Herzog's Nosferatu
Possible Worlds
City of Women
8 1/2
Any of Maya Deren's work
Or how about more Luis Bunuel?

... OK, that's plenty.

eternalmothug 05-07-05 10:48 PM

Thanks for the reply guys/girls. Thanks for the recommendations I gotta check some of those out.

I've seen Pi and while it was a nice movie, it didn't get under my skin like Eraserhead and Un Chien Andalou. I wouldn't consider Requiem at all surreal....neither The Crow of Batman Movies.

Some sites I've searched on have recommended the following:

The Institute Benjamenta
The Order - From Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle 3
The Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb
Even Dwarfs Started Small
L'Age D'Or
Orphic Trilogy - Criterion Collection
Begotten
Forbidden Zone

I'm exicted to get Naked Lunch/Videodrome on Criterion based on the raving reviews. I wanna get David Lynch's Short Films Collection...but the prices on ebay go up to 80 bucks canadian! Oh yeah I've heard awesome reviews about Fantastic Planet too....I heard it has that trippy psychedelic 70's sci-vibe to it.

eXcentris 05-08-05 12:54 AM

If you're familiar with Bunuel and Jodorowsky, you might want to check out Fernando Arrabal, specifically Viva la Muerte and I Will Go Like a Crazy Horse. Jodorowsky's Fando y Lys is based on a play created by Arrabal and Viva la Muerte is Arrabal's own interpretation of his play. The boy's name in the film is actually Fando. I Will Go Like a Crazy Horse could also be considered Arrabal's answer to Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain.

Warning, not for the faint of heart, Arrabal is almost like the dark side of Jodorowsky. It's the surrealism of anarchy and the poetry of cruelty. The bull slaughter scene in Viva la Muerte is something to behold.

eternalmothug 05-08-05 02:26 AM

Hey eXcentris I've just read a review of "I Will Walk Like a Crazy Horse" and it states that:

Not to be taken lightly, this film features some extreme imagery that just screams to shock and offend. Within the confines of this film you will bear witness to sex while wearing gas masks, a penis being lit like a candle, multiple cases of "tongue torture" and the unforgettable image of two grown men in silhouette taking a dump in the desert during a quiet sunset. It may sound like a lot to take in, and if you think that's where it ends then I need to tell you that we've only just begun.

Holy $^@# are you serious? Is it really that crazy to witness?....i'm intrigued, but kinda scared too hehe. I don't like extremely graphic torture scenes (one of the reasons I'm hesitant to see "Salo) but since people are calling this guy one of the Pioneers of Spanish Surrealism I wouldn't mind seeing what's up his sleeve.

mandrakeland 05-08-05 09:43 AM

Marc Caro & Jean-Pierre Jeunet's Delicatessen and Guy Maddin's The Saddest Music in the World are two very good surreal films, both dark and humorous. But if you want something completely different go for a Czechoslovakian weird film from the 70s: Valerie and her Week of Wonders . It's a real gem!

eXcentris 05-08-05 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by eternalmothug

Holy $^@# are you serious? Is it really that crazy to witness?....i'm intrigued, but kinda scared too hehe. I don't like extremely graphic torture scenes (one of the reasons I'm hesitant to see "Salo) but since people are calling this guy one of the Pioneers of Spanish Surrealism I wouldn't mind seeing what's up his sleeve.

Yup, rape, cannibalism, bowel movements, torture, all used to symbolize chaos and the clash between nature and civilization. Some of the imagery is quite beautiful but it's also rather disturbing. One could say that along with Salo and a few others, these are definitely some of the most f***** up films out there. But I did warn you. :)

eternalmothug 05-08-05 05:39 PM

Know any sites where I can purchase Arrabal's movies? They are all out of stock on www.cultepics.com I wanna see both Crazy Horse and Muerte, but I can't find them on ebay either.

eXcentris 05-08-05 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by eternalmothug
Know any sites where I can purchase Arrabal's movies? They are all out of stock on www.cultepics.com I wanna see both Crazy Horse and Muerte, but I can't find them on ebay either.

DVDPlanet seems to carry both titles. I used dvdpricesearch to find out.

Ralph Jenkins 05-08-05 09:45 PM

I only found a couple of scenes in Takashi Miike's Audition surreal. If you want a truly surreal Miike film, pick up Gozu.

Speaking of Japanese directors, you might also want to check out something by Shin'ya Tsukamoto (Tetsuo: The Iron Man, A Snake of June).

bdots48 05-10-05 08:20 AM

I may be stating the obvious, but there is The Anthology of Surreal Cinema,Volume 1, released a couple of weeks ago. Short silent films from the 20s, available at DDD for $15 and DigitalEyes for $16. It's only about an hour long but these are classics.

Lastdaysofrain 05-10-05 10:48 AM

I would definetely also recommend Tetsuo:The Iron Man, as well as Tetsuo II the sequel.

Also, Takaashi Miike's movie "Happiness of the Katukuris" is far more surreal than AUdition and I think would make a good recommendation as well.

"Forbidden Zone" is a great surreal movie, if Eraserhead was a comedy...well, less of a dark comedy and more like life action Felix the cat.

sfsdfd 05-10-05 08:52 PM

Moving to Movie Talk Forum.

- David Stein

Thrush 05-11-05 03:01 AM

Brazil
Delicatessen

dom56 05-11-05 09:50 AM

Surprise no one mentioned Dark City.

Possible one of the strangest surreal sci-fi film I seen in a long time, Roger Ebert called it the best film of the year when it came out.

QuiGonJosh 05-11-05 10:49 AM

I think Hannibal is a pretty surreal picture, it's certainly dark. I for one really love it.