DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Need a Pep Talk...can Hayden pull this off? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/421415-need-pep-talk-can-hayden-pull-off.html)

BassDude 05-05-05 03:48 PM

Need a Pep Talk...can Hayden pull this off?

Allright...I was watching Ep II again the other night after just finishing the novelization. There are a couple "sand comment" like lines in the book for Ep III. And I started getting a lil worried about Hayden...with such an important amount of emotions he is gonna have to convincingly display.

I know..the movie's gonna rock..the lightsaber battles will be amazing... I can't wait!

Talk me down y'all...can Hayden pull this off?

Jackskeleton 05-05-05 04:13 PM

They said they brought in acting coaches and hell, if there's enough light saber stunts I couldn't give a rats ass about his terrible acting.

Kal-El 05-05-05 04:50 PM

I've read the book and the script and a lot of the cheesy stuff in the book was Stover's. The script is tighter.

Josh H 05-05-05 04:56 PM

I'm just expecting kick ass action scenes with some cheeseball dialogue that's poorly delivered by eveyrone but McGregor and McDiarmid.

milo bloom 05-06-05 07:48 AM

I should mention something a friend of the family mentioned back around AOTC. She's my boss at work, and has kids in the early 20's, late teens back in 2002. She was very impressed/frightened by some of Hayden's looks, esp in his eyes, since she has a son about his age. She's seen him angry, and she thought Hayden was dead on.

She's not a SW junkie, but enjoys good sci fi (she and her husband are Stargate junkies). I think we're looking for Shakespeare here, but a casual fan is telling us what we should see, the emotions. Watching the Musical Journey DVD last night where a lot of the scenes had the dialogue covered up, you could see the emotions. People are criticizing the acting, but it's just the dialogue we're not liking. Learn to see it as just filler, and look deeper. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

slcsnkman 05-06-05 09:46 AM

From what Ive read in Time and other magazines, hes pretty impressive in this one...CANT WAIT

Spiderbite 05-06-05 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
People are criticizing the acting, but it's just the dialogue we're not liking. Learn to see it as just filler, and look deeper. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

If only everyone looked at all movies in the same way. :rolleyes:

Josh H 05-06-05 03:54 PM

It's not just the dialogue.

It's a combination of stupid dialogue and poor acting/line delivery.

Fok 05-06-05 03:58 PM

From what I've seen, he's pretty shit. But yeah, as long as there's lots of flights

shaggy 05-06-05 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by BassDude
Allright...I was watching Ep II again the other night after just finishing the novelization. There are a couple "sand comment" like lines in the book for Ep III. And I started getting a lil worried about Hayden...with such an important amount of emotions he is gonna have to convincingly display.

I know..the movie's gonna rock..the lightsaber battles will be amazing... I can't wait!

Talk me down y'all...can Hayden pull this off?

The problem with the "sand" scene, is many people don't get it. The line and the delivery are perfect. Its a young man, blown away by a woman out of his league, trying to be smooth and falling on his face. Hayden is actually a very good actor and was excellent in most of AOTC especially Tusken sequence and confession to Padme, powerful stuff. I think most people forget how old he is in the film and the type of person he is suppose to be. Love or hate the prequels, its how Lucas wanted it. You may not agree with his vision, but tell me its poorly exacuted. Listen to the interviews and commentaries this is what he intended.

I haven't seen the new flick, but just some of his looks blow me away. This guy is Anakin/Vader!

AeroStone 05-11-05 10:45 AM

Hayden is fine..its some of the dialogue itself.

Now for BAD delivery..sorry guys...but go back and watch Harrison Fords in ALL 3. Stinky P.U! :o

QuiGonJosh 05-11-05 11:21 AM

I thought he was perfect in AOTC and the stuff I've seen from him I've seen in the ROTS footage is great!

Daytrip 05-11-05 11:25 AM

all i've seen is the Xbox game footage and it's hit or miss. in some scenes Hayden pulls it off very well, in others he's horrible. i can't imagine an actor being so inconsistant. it makes me wonder if Lucas just likes using the worst takes

Shannon Nutt 05-11-05 11:56 AM

I think the problem here is Lucas never gives much guidance as a director...as Harrison said on the Trilogy DVDs, when he asked George how he wanted a scene done, George pointed to the script and said "It's right there on the page...DO THAT!"

QuiGonJosh 05-11-05 12:03 PM

Their actors, their supposed to know how to act...it's not rocket science. George just wants them to do what their being paid to do, act, and do it good.

uberjoe 05-11-05 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
Their actors, their supposed to know how to act...it's not rocket science. George just wants them to do what their being paid to do, act, and do it good.

Yeah, "actors" act, but shouldn't the "director" also give them some... oh, I don't know... direction? Something more than "Stand there, and don't worry about the blue screen... we'll put the background in later"? If not, then he must just stand back and leave everyone to their own skills and devices, and I think a director should be more than a foreman.

AeroStone 05-11-05 04:57 PM

I noticed GLs lack of giving "specific" directorial insight in the blooper reel on AOTC.. Poor Natalie was running thru the blue screen stuff, stopped and asked if they playing a joke on her cause it felt stupid..GL just says.."it'll look good".... B.A.D direction. Now dont take me for a Lucas slammer...cause I aint one of those who pisses and moans and calls him stupid, asshole.. idiot, etc and then watches his movies anyway... I aint one of those.

QuiGonJosh 05-12-05 06:40 AM

He just expects the actors to come on set, know their lines and say em. From what Liam Neeson said back when TPM came out, he's a real simple director, "faster, more intense and slower." That's about the direction he gives, which is really all an actor should need if their doing their job properly.

Josh H 05-12-05 02:21 PM

That's absurd. A director has to tell actors what he wants done, and how he wants it.

Otherwise there's no need for a director to even be on the set.

I love Star Wars, but Lucas is far from a great director. He's a great visionary, told a great story, and improved the industry by revolutionizing special effects, but he's had no impact on sheer directing.

It's not a coincidence that Portman sucks in these films and is great in others.

uberjoe 05-12-05 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
That's absurd. A director has to tell actors what he wants done, and how he wants it.

Otherwise there's no need for a director to even be on the set.

I love Star Wars, but Lucas is far from a great director. He's a great visionary, told a great story, and improved the industry by revolutionizing special effects, but he's had no impact on sheer directing.

It's not a coincidence that Portman sucks in these films and is great in others.

I agree with everything in this post.

Terrell 05-12-05 04:49 PM

I agree with everything in this post.
I agree with everthing except this.

but Lucas is far from a great director.
I see that as a bunch of nonsense. Lucas is far from a terrible one. Besides, THX 1138, American Graffiti, Star Wars, ROTJ, and two Oscar noms, put and end to such inaccurate notions as far as I'm concerned. He was a great director when he made those four films. There are very good directors working today that haven't come close to directing such works as those. Before anyone asks, yes Lucas did end up directing most of ROTJ along with Kershner's second unit director, according to both Kershner and Fisher.

It's also not a coincidence that Lucas got good performances from McGregor, McDiarmid, Neeson, Lee throughout the prequels, and even Christensen in Episode III according to some critics. Nor is it coincidence that there have been reports of Portman's terrible attitude. Whether that's true, who knows. But there have been reports. Then again, you'd have to wonder how Lucas got strong performances from actors in his first three films.

As for screenwriting, we all know that Lucas sucks as writing.

There are reasons for the weaknesses in these films, none of which have anything to do with Lucas' directing. Then again, you never heard "Lucas is a terrible director" before the prequels came along. The real weaknesses come from Lucas writing the screenplays, Lucas not having a real plan for these films which resulted in him making a lot of it up on the fly, and Lucas trying to do too much himself.

Brain Stew 05-12-05 04:52 PM

Hayden was pretty good in Shattered Glass.

Josh H 05-12-05 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Terrell
I see that as a bunch of nonsense. Lucas is far from a terrible one.

He's some where in between terrible and great. Just mediocre in my opinion. I don't care for his non-SW flicks at all.

Brain Stew 05-12-05 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
He's some where in between terrible and great. Just mediocre in my opinion. I don't care for his non-SW flicks at all.

Not even American Graffiti?

story 05-12-05 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by slcsnkman
From what Ive read in Time and other magazines, hes pretty impressive in this one...

Pretty impressive, or most impressive?