Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Go see CRASH (review thread)...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Go see CRASH (review thread)...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-05, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may see this film but the overly stereotypical characters of his screenplay (although adapted) of Million Dollar Baby (which I felt collapsed it) I hope are not as present in his feature.

Last edited by cfloyd3; 05-07-05 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-07-05, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was kind of disapointed by the film. It seemed as though there were chunks missing. Also, the message beats you over the head a little too much in my opinion. It was actually kind of hokey.

But... all in all, I enjoyed it and could still recommend it. It's just nothing I would ever really want to watch again.
Old 05-08-05, 02:18 AM
Suspended

Just got back from this movie and I absolutely loved it!! Ya it wasn't perfect, and overly stereotypical, but the acting, direction and the pure emotion was amazing! Great cast too, I liked most of the performances, a few of them though were a little tired.

One thing that kind of ticked me off was, I was in a 75% full theater, and on certain scenes people were laughing. Not histarically, but some laughs were coming out. Mostly at Ludacris's expressions and dialogue. I personally didn't see any funny shit in this movie. I know people react differently to movies, and maybe people were feeling so tense, maybe they felt like letting out a few laughs. This was serious stuff and serious issues. I was really caught up in the story and characters and I didn't see anything that was funny. Just my opinion though

Spoiler:
I personally didn't care for the Ryan Phillipe character, or his performance. I didn't really like the Tony Danza scene either, its was like, hey we got Tony Danza, lets just throw him in somewhere, wasn't feeling it. I didn't really like the Matt Dillion back story either with is father, which was never resolved, just minor stuff though, it didn't deter me from the movie oh my god I LOVE Jennifer Esposito's breasts!!!!!

Last edited by animalmystic; 05-08-05 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-08-05, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Just got back from seeing it and all I can say is....WOW! I freaking loved the movie. I didn't even know what it was about as I stated above but with some of the positive reviews on this thread I was looking forward to it.

Spoilers you shouldn't read if you haven't seen the movie!

Spoiler:
One thing I have to say is I don't think I've ever seen anything in a movie that made me react like I did when the Iranian guy pulled the trigger on the guy and his daughter. I swear it felt like I was shot for a second. One of the most tense scenes I've ever seen in a theatre. Unfortunatly, some whore behind us yelled out so the whole movie theatre could hear "It's blanks! He has blanks!" which kind of took a little bit away from the scene later when we're SUPPOSED to realize what happened.

Also, it kind of surprised me heading in that like 95% of the theatre was black. I really didn't know the subject matter of this movie AT ALL going in. The subject matter almost made me feel a little uncomfortable at times in the theater.

But there was a huge line for it 30 minutes before it started at 9:30 which is a good sign. It was jam-packed so the word IS getting out about this movie already.

Oh yeah, and I have to commend Ludacris. He gave a surprising performance and if he's going to continue acting he has more than a gimmick-role career ahead of him.

Last edited by Trelach24; 05-08-05 at 02:39 AM.
Old 05-08-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been looking forward to this after seeing the trailer before The Interpreter, but now with all the positive reviews I'm even more eager to see it.
Old 05-08-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll admit to laughing at the stereotypical jokes/observations at times.
Old 05-08-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I liked it it did remind me of Grand Canyon.
Old 05-08-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Patman
I'll admit to laughing at the stereotypical jokes/observations at times.
me too. I laughed at the whole movie, even the Asian jokes and I'm Asian.
Old 05-08-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was a great film, but lacked. James Berardinelli summed it up with this paragraph: "The best ensemble films are the ones in which the characters are given an opportunity to breathe (Magnolia, Short Cuts, and Nashville come to mind). With Crash, 105 minutes is barely enough time to let the numerous participants begin to inhale. For the most part, Crash is pleasant enough, and it deals with serious subjects, but it's difficult to shake the sensation that the characters are only half-formed. And the director's use of coincidence, karma, and irony to end nearly every plot thread is so forced that it comes across as a contrivance rather than a natural direction. It also takes away from the humanity of the characters. "
Old 05-08-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Saw it. Though it was a very good movie. I give it an A-. My only gripe is I feel some of the characters were underdeveloped and I am guessing a lot got left on the cutting room floor as it was obvious Haggis was trying to make a movie akin to the works of Robert Altman, P.T. Anderson, and a little bit of Steven Soderbergh. I agree with Trelach about the tense scene, it really had the small audience I was with gripped and then we all realized at the right moment what was up and it was brilliant filmmaking. (You know the scene, I won't tell it.)
One question about the end:
Spoiler:
How did Ludacris manage get the Asian people to their freedom? The man he was working for said he was going to sell them so I guess he sold them to him?
Old 05-08-05, 02:06 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it. Though it was a very good movie. I give it an A-. My only gripe is I feel some of the characters were underdeveloped and I am guessing a lot got left on the cutting room floor as it was obvious Haggis was trying to make a movie akin to the works of Robert Altman, P.T. Anderson, and a little bit of Steven Soderbergh. I agree with Trelach about the tense scene, it really had the small audience I was with gripped and then we all realized at the right moment what was up and it was brilliant filmmaking. (You know the scene, I won't tell it.)
One question about the end:
Spoiler:
How did Ludacris manage get the Asian people to their freedom? The man he was working for said he was going to sell them so I guess he sold them to him?

Spoiler:
Well the guy said he would buy each of them from Ludacris for $500 each, then sell them, so I imagine Ludacris just said no and drove them to there freedom, thats what I think
Old 05-08-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Caught this today. pretty decent flick.
Old 05-08-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by animalmystic
Spoiler:
Well the guy said he would buy each of them from Ludacris for $500 each, then sell them, so I imagine Ludacris just said no and drove them to there freedom, thats what I think
Yeah, I thought that's what happened as well.
Old 05-09-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I had high hopes for Crash, and I was completely let down... maybe I would have liked it if I had no hopes for it... but I doubt it.

First off, it was severely heavy-handed, with absolutely no trace or sense of subtlety which is needed in addressing such delicate and difficult issues - it came off like an R-rated after-school special about racism in LA. "Hey look, people are intrinsically racist in their own ways without really being aware of it." "No Shit! Tell me something I don't know, asshole!"

It was also far, far too contrived for it's own good, which just made it look silly. I don't mean the tenuous character relationships - I'm fine with those - I mean the contrived situations that happen which are improbable, illogical but mostly unearned because they happen so unnaturally that they feel like a writer's device fabricated just to get a cheap reaction without really addressing anything
Spoiler:
oh look, the girl who's afraid of getting shot happens to get "shot" by a guy who was tricked into using blanks - but if you couldn't figure it out, don't worry, there's a nice close-up of the box letting you know that they were blanks
- thanks for treating me like a retard. But mostly, the movie's just utterly spine-less. It trots out race issues and lets them dangle out there for us, without really saying anything of value or substance. I expected A LOT more from the writer of Million Dollar Baby.

Though I really liked Matt Dillon's performance... what little there was of it, and also, Keith David's one scene was great.

I actually prefer Cronenberg’s Crash, which is about people who treat car accidents as a sexual fetish and a guy fucks a girl in her festering wound…

Last edited by slop101; 05-09-05 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-09-05, 12:44 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by slop101
First off, it was severely heavy-handed, with absolutely no trace or sense of subtlety which is needed in addressing such delicate and difficult issues
I think that was the point.

Sorry it wasn't to your liking.
Old 05-09-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I don't particularly have a problem with "heavy-handedness", per-se. But in this case I felt that the film's sledge-hammer approach made it feel really awkward and rendered it's thesis trite.

What Haggis was going for deserved a lot more time than 100 minutes, which could have made room for the subtlety and depth it was lacking.
Old 05-09-05, 04:03 PM

Love Paul Haggis from the "EZ Streets" days. . .loved this film as well. As many people think the characters should have been more fleshed out, perhaps there will be a Director's Cut on DVD sometime. . .I will buy it regardless.
Old 05-09-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Loved it. Best movie of the year so far. ****/****.

Spoiler:
I did figure out they were blanks as soon as the girl and her father were OK, made perfect sense as I recalled the scene where the guy and his daughter bought the gun. Still didn't mind that we were shown it later. Better than some people leaving the theater thinking it was a "miracle." There were a lot of other things I didn't figure out in advance.
Old 05-11-05, 11:45 PM

I saw this yesterday, it was good. I wish could have been a bit longer, but it did feel long. All in all, ***/**** .
Old 05-14-05, 02:33 PM

Why were people laughing?

Honestly, I expected this movie to be pretty stupid. Full of unbelievably stereotypical characters that do over-the-top racist stuff and it is all meant to teach the audience a lesson.

After seeing the movie, I still feel that way about the movie. However, why were so many people laughing????

I mean, I'm one to have a pretty whacky sense of humor. Most of my friends think I am crazy for laughing all the way through a movie like Kill Bill. I laugh at a lot of stuff, but I just don't understand why everyone in the theater thought it was OK for them to laugh at a racist joke during a movie that is trying to point these joke tellers out as racists. Do you not understand the point of the movie?

For me, I was specifically caught off guard during the scene where
Spoiler:
The gun shop owner refused to sell a gun to the guy and his daughter. He kept calling him Osama. Over half the theater was laughing when the guy was calling him Osama and telling him to leave.

Like I said, I have a pretty good sense of humor, and I'll laugh at stuff like Chappelle's Show. But I don't think this movie was trying to be Dave Chappelle type funny. The jokes that were in this movie were not said (by characters) to be funny. They weren't laughing and looking around at the other characters to see if their joke went well. The characters said these jokes because they were racist characters.

Knowing that, I don't see why so many people still think it is OK to laugh.

I'm almost thinking this was sheer brilliance by the movie makers. Because this was the most profound thing I left the theater thinking about.

Last edited by DShaz; 05-14-05 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-14-05, 02:48 PM

Having said that... I DID laugh a little when
Spoiler:
he said the joke about hispanic people all parking their cars on their lawns. I just had a feeling when he said it that he wasn't serious. He was just trying to tease her.

But not all the jokes felt like that to me. Many times I felt like the characters were serious when they said that stuff, and yet people continued to laugh.

One more thing...
Spoiler:
What was the point of Ryan Phillipe's character? They made him out like he was the one good guy who wasn't a racist, but then he turned out to be the one guy who actually shot and killed somebody, then covered it up. Why did they write that in? I couldn't figure out their point. Were they trying to point out that non-racists are bad people too? I just don't get why that was part of the movie.
Old 05-14-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed the film, but it's not the best I've seen all year (Sin City still holds that title). In all honesty, it is one of the better films of the year, but look at what else has also been released this year (e.g. crap). However, I had two major problems with the film that kept it from being the greatest film of 2005....

1. None of the characters are likeable. With the exception of the character played by Michael Pena (the Hispanic locksmith), everyone in the film was pretty much a piece of shit. While most of the actors here did a fantastic job (especially Matt Dillon), I pretty much wanted every character of the film to be murdered by a member of another race by the last reel. Yes, I was that pissed off by the characters in the film. I'm pretty sure Mr. Haggis was trying to get that feel across to the audience, but it made the film less enjoyable in my opinion.

2. The film was simply too short and it felt like Altman-lite. Same taste, just with half the substance and character development.

Oh, and with my one minor problem.

3. The film needed more Keith David.
Old 05-14-05, 03:31 PM

After reading all the positive reviews here, I decided to go see this movie for myself. I'm really glad I did because this was one of the best movies I have seen so far this year. The scene with the store owner and the locksmith on his front lawn had me on the edge of my seat too.
Old 05-14-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this today, and it took the place of In Good Company as my my pick for best overall film of the year so far. It's Crash, In Good Company, and then Sin City so far for me this year.

The scene where Dillon...

Spoiler:
Saves the woman he previously violated...

Is one of the best in recent memory. I saw things in just about every actor and actress in this film that I just flat out didn't really know was there. If nothing else, this film deserves an award for best ensemble cast.

One more thing...
Spoiler:
What was the point of Ryan Phillipe's character? They made him out like he was the one good guy who wasn't a racist, but then he turned out to be the one guy who actually shot and killed somebody, then covered it up. Why did they write that in? I couldn't figure out their point. Were they trying to point out that non-racists are bad people too? I just don't get why that was part of the movie.
Spoiler:
I thought the entire point of that subplot was simply to show that even those who outwardly speak out against racisim and put others down for it, sometime have racist thoughts and feelings stuck down deep inside as well. That doens't mean people like that are flat out bad or it's even their fault they have those feelings also, just that it's truly the way the world is today. I know plenty of people who say they aren't racist, put others down for it, but when put into certain situations they do things, perhaps without even knowing it, that showcases that they still have certain feelings also. I'm sure most people know someone like that, and I'd say a good majority of people are like that. Have it be you are black, white, or whatever race.

Racism exists, even in the best people out there. I think the entire point of the movie is that, yes, it's wrong, but it's human nature for most people...to veiw those different than yourself in a lesser light, even if you only do so for a split second. Still, everyone can still get along fine if we just try our best.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 05-14-05 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-14-05, 07:49 PM

I agree. So far Crash, In Good Company, and Sin City are the best movies of this year so far. But I can't say one is better than the other since they're all so different.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.