Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite STAR WARS TOY growing up?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Favorite STAR WARS TOY growing up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-05, 07:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by noonan4224
I'm surprised I'm the first to say this, but the Tauntaun was my favorite by far.

i second wholeheartedly. and the Hoth Han and Luke. I remember putting them in bowls with water and freezing them. it was so super cool to defrost them out using hot water!!
Old 05-04-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noonan4224
I'm surprised I'm the first to say this, but the Tauntaun was my favorite by far.

This toy looks funny.

I think it reminds me if that scene of Ace Ventura 2 when he was coming out of the rhino.
Old 05-04-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

AT-AT, and the Vader Tie-Fighter.. Falcon was pretty sweet too..
Old 05-04-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The X-Wing, the mini-rig shuttle & the Y-wing ship. The Y wing was awesome since you could put R2 in it, the landing gear worked with a lever and it dropped a bomb.
Old 05-04-05, 11:12 PM

I loved all my star wars toys! I still do My favorites were the textural treats, i loved ones that used other materials than plastic, likeKlaatu He had that leathery belt and fuzzy loincloth deal. I also really liked my Rancore, i'd make him eat the Gammorean guard. I'm glad to see that the newer figures are using alternative materials again (cloth capes etc.)
Old 05-05-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My favorite was the death star, but I had a huge one made mostly of cardboard. It even had a working trash compactor. When I started collecting star wars toys again as a teenager I thought I dreamed the whole thing up, because no one knew what i was talking about. It wasn't even in the collectors' guides. I finally discovered it was a Sears exclusive and is pretty hard to come by.
Old 05-05-05, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by shaggy
My favorite was the death star, but I had a huge one made mostly of cardboard. It even had a working trash compactor. When I started collecting star wars toys again as a teenager I thought I dreamed the whole thing up, because no one knew what i was talking about. It wasn't even in the collectors' guides. I finally discovered it was a Sears exclusive and is pretty hard to come by.
Do you mean the death star like a link was posted to in one of the above posts, was a Sears exclusive and hard to come by? I never knew that wish I kept mine, along with all the other star wars toys hahah...
Old 05-05-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no the one above was the regular version.

this is the one i was refering to, it appears to be a canadian sears exclusive, this picture is the box. It really was cool.

Old 05-05-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
My favorite was definately the ship from Return of the Jedi,i don't remember the name of it but it is the one the Emperor used and it had the wings that would fold down after it took off.
Old 05-05-05, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by shaggy
no the one above was the regular version.

this is the one i was refering to, it appears to be a canadian sears exclusive, this picture is the box. It really was cool.

Wow, never seen that. I too thought you made that up. ha
Old 05-05-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chanster
I agree those micro sets were real nice. I had the Hoth Battle set with the exploding gun turrets.

I had never gotten these when I was a kid but picked up an entire collection of the micro toys a few years ago off of Ebay (minus the prototype bacta chamber - too expensive). The darn things were mint....and I let me son play with them (I hear the people moan at this). He actually took great care of them.

My ultimate favorite is a toss-up between the Millenium Falcon and the Death Star playset (the US version). I actually bought a second Death Star Playset a few years ago to scavenge the parts that I had wornm out on mine. By mixing the best parts of both, I had a near mint playset

The Hoth Attack Base and Dagobah playsets were also VERY well used. Too bad the spongy "swamp" or quicksand deteriorates so badly over time. I found a similar spongy material and replaced it a few years ago.

Heh, I used to play with the Blue Snaggletooth ALL THE TIME - used him as a bounty hunter. Had I known how much it would be worth now....eh, the play was worth it.
Old 05-05-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 509 Likes on 352 Posts
My favorite SW toy was the cheap unlicensed knockoff lightsaber I got Christmas of '77. It was a red plastic 2-D-cell flashlight with a black plastic adapter and a 30" translucent white plastic tube. There was a rounded plug in the end that was held on with scotch tape. I loved that lightsaber.
Old 05-05-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
This was one of my favorites (even though it wasn't in any of the movies):

I liked it because it had 6 sampled movie sounds, you could hear'em by pushing the buttons around the turret. You could cart around 8 Stormtroopers and stuff R2 and 3P0 in the back hatch.
Old 05-05-05, 02:49 PM
Banned

Have the AT-AT...and have to say it is VERY cool.
Dunno which one was my favorite but regardless....loved them all. Only need 3 more of the original figures to have them all.
Old 05-05-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
My favorite SW toy was the cheap unlicensed knockoff lightsaber I got Christmas of '77. It was a red plastic 2-D-cell flashlight with a black plastic adapter and a 30" translucent white plastic tube. There was a rounded plug in the end that was held on with scotch tape. I loved that lightsaber.
Holy cow! You just sent me back nearly thirty years in time. Those things were called "Force Beams" weren't they? I couldn't afford one at the time, and my parents wouldn't buy me one because they said those toys were worthless junk. (Well, Mom and Dad, so is my graduate school degree, so there!)
Old 05-05-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
This was one of my favorites (even though it wasn't in any of the movies):

I liked it because it had 6 sampled movie sounds, you could hear'em by pushing the buttons around the turret. You could cart around 8 Stormtroopers and stuff R2 and 3P0 in the back hatch.
I think it was in the back of one of the HOTH scenes. My 4 yrs younger brother had that, and I remember the sounds were cool!

I was 12 in 77, so I was "too cool" for toys anymore. But I remember playing with the Deathstar a lot when my lil bro asked me.

He also had a remote control Artoo Deetoo. Slow as heck, but you could make the head spin and make him beep. (Still has it, but it has long since stopped working.)
Old 05-05-05, 05:26 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I loved all my playsets the most, much more than the vehicles.

I had:

Death Star - (http://www.12back.com/playsets/deathstar.php3) I loved that it had all those levels. There was a cool working elevator (operated manually, of course), the retractable bridge, and the trap door that led to the trash compactor. And that trash compactor! Filled with a bunch of foam cubes and a little green rubber monster! It didn't really resemble the Death Star much in design... it was more like a tower filled with Death Star exhibits. But it was awesome.

Droid Factory - (http://www.12back.com/playsets/droid.php3) Also mentioned above, this was awesome. Had a bunch of droid 'parts' you could put together in various ways to build different droids. You could even create a cheapie version of R2D2 with it. My only complaint was that the droid parts were made of the same cheap rubber they used for the figures, and the pegs that connected the parts would sometimes snap off, making the part useless. The actual playset was pretty pointless... just a ramp, a crane, and lots of spaces to put the parts. They should've just sold a big bag of droid parts separately.

Creature Cantina - (http://www.12back.com/playsets/cantina.php3) Weird retro looking thing that really looked nothing like the real Cantina. But it had cool action seetings... like a spot on the floor that would knock over a figure when a lever was turned. So you could simulate Han Solo shooting Greedo (even though they were seated in the movie). There was no special lever so Greedo could shoot first, as Kenner didn't have that technology at the time.

Land of the Jawas - (http://www.12back.com/playsets/jawas.php3) Generally one of the lamer playsets, as it's pretty much just a sand base with a big cardboard Sandcrawler in the back. But it did come with the cool escape pod (which I used much more other than any other 'vehicle', go figure). This one also had a 'shoot the figure' lever like the Cantina's.

Dagobah - (http://www.12back.com/playsets/dagobah.php3) Basically a tree trunk on a platform. The main cool thing about it was a foam 'quicksand' spot. For some reason I loved to make figures go through the quicksand. Unfortunately I could really only fit one through at a time because the base was pretty shallow (unless they were Yodas or Jawas). It also had some action features like 'levitating plastic boxes', and two little levers so you could have Luke and Darth engage in a lightsaber battle. It was generally kinda useless as a playset though because the tree trunk took up almost the whole base and you could barely get any figures inside it except for Yoda and Artoo.

Imperial Attack Base (Hoth) - (http://www.12back.com/playsets/imperial.php3) Sort of like an Ice Bunker, it had a cool turret gun and a collapseable ice/snow bridge deal that was more of a pain than it was worth. Plus an exploding base thing I never used. Due to the military bunker feel of it I ended up using this more for my G.I. Joe figures than Star Wars.

Turret & Tripod (http://www.12back.com/playsets/probot.php3) - I loved this set for one big reason... it had the cool Probot. In fairness, the turret tower was pretty cool too. The Probot was supposed to 'explode', but the effect (like the others) was pretty weak. This is actually one of the best thought out playsets overall, though, as far as providing an ambience form one of the scenes as well as having cool crap to play with.
Old 05-05-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Does anyone know why the original Luke and ESB Bespin Luke figures had yellow lightsabers?
Old 05-05-05, 11:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Cartload
Does anyone know why the original Luke and ESB Bespin Luke figures had yellow lightsabers?

To distinguish his blade with Ben Kenobi's.
Old 05-05-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
I had an awesome knock-off saber I got in Holland around 1981. It had a clear plastic blade and the batteries went in the handle. However in the part where the blade connects to the handle, it was wide and had a swivel disk in it that had clear colored windows built in so when the saber was turned on, the clear platic blade glowed in several colors. Clear white, blue, red & green!! So less than the real product, this saber was 4 sabers in one. This was a few years before a green lightsaber was shown in film so this knock-off was ahead of its time.

Sadly, even though it lasted for years, I eventually hit it against something too hard and the whole handle broke off.
Old 05-06-05, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by DRG

Droid Factory - (http://www.12back.com/playsets/droid.php3) Also mentioned above, this was awesome. Had a bunch of droid 'parts' you could put together in various ways to build different droids. You could even create a cheapie version of R2D2 with it. My only complaint was that the droid parts were made of the same cheap rubber they used for the figures, and the pegs that connected the parts would sometimes snap off, making the part useless. The actual playset was pretty pointless... just a ramp, a crane, and lots of spaces to put the parts. They should've just sold a big bag of droid parts separately.

Land of the Jawas - (http://www.12back.com/playsets/jawas.php3) Generally one of the lamer playsets, as it's pretty much just a sand base with a big cardboard Sandcrawler in the back. But it did come with the cool escape pod (which I used much more other than any other 'vehicle', go figure). This one also had a 'shoot the figure' lever like the Cantina's.
Kenner rehashed both of these sets. The Land of the Jawas was recast in white plastic, and the backdrop changed to an AT-AT. It was called Hoth Ice Planet

The Droid factory was recast in grey plastic and called Jabba's Palace

One of my favorites was Darth Vader's Star Destroyer

Last edited by Qui Gon Jim; 05-06-05 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-06-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 509 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselsDen
Holy cow! You just sent me back nearly thirty years in time. Those things were called "Force Beams" weren't they? I couldn't afford one at the time, and my parents wouldn't buy me one because they said those toys were worthless junk. (Well, Mom and Dad, so is my graduate school degree, so there!)
This is the Force Beam, but it didn't come out until '83 apparently. Mine was even simpler and had no black hilt or pommel pieces. I'll look for a pic.

Here is an earlier version of the Force Beam without the hilt. Mine was identical to this one except without the pommel piece.

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 05-06-05 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-09-05, 02:32 AM

My favorite was the old-school light sabers. They made a wooooo sound when you swung it, and it was hard plastic so it hurt when you hit someone with it ( my brother ).

Old 05-10-05, 04:43 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I, too, had the lightsaber SPiRAL is talking about and it was my favorite Star Wars toy. The blade was bright green and huge for a four-year old to yield. It was built hollow with a cross-section down the length of the blade so it would collect wind and whistle as you swung it. The oversized handle unscrewed from the blade and you could put a small flashlight inside to light up the blade. My favorite.
Old 05-11-05, 07:38 AM
Banned

I loved the hell out of the Millennium Falcon when I was a kid!