DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Watching Ep. 1-6 back to back (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/420869-watching-ep-1-6-back-back.html)

MartinBlank 05-02-05 01:40 AM

Watching Ep. 1-6 back to back

Is it just me, or would it be kinda difficult to watch all six films in order? The first 3 and second 3 films almost "feel" like completely different movies, whether is be the set pieces or the over abundance/lack of action. Imagine sitting down with anyone not raised on the original trilogy and trying to watch all six films back-to-back-to-back, dollar to a dougnut says that interest will be completely lost 20 minutes into A New Hope! "Where are the lightsabers?" "Where's Jar-Jar?"

I'm old school, and grew up with the original trilogy, and from where I sit these 3 new Star Wars aren't Star Wars movies.

Fok 05-02-05 01:46 AM

I always tell people to watch the OT first, then they might appreciate the prequels a bit better.

Mondo Kane 05-02-05 01:51 AM

Well, uhh, just think of it like this. The prequels are set in elegant, Victorian times. 20 years after the prequels end---When the shit has hit the fan---The Star Wars galaxy has been reduced to the wild west thanks to the empire for basically destroying everything.

"Where are the lightsabers?"
The Jedi are extinct. Vader is all that's left of their "religion". And who cares about Jar Jar?

KnightLerxst 05-02-05 07:48 AM

I know Lucas has said before the way to watch the movies is 1-6...but I don't think the story is nearly as compelling that way. In the past he said that he had this big huge story...and he bascially took the most interesting part...the middle...and that was the original Star Wars. What makes the PT interesting is finding out what happened to create the universe of the OT. It makes me think of Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs...which would not be nearly as interesting if they were edited in a liner fashion...I think the Star Wars movies are the same deal...much more interesting if viewed 4-6, then 1-3...hell...I think you could probably get away with watching them 4,5,1,2,3,6. Non-liner story telling builds suspense IMO.

Toad 05-02-05 07:53 AM

1-6 in that order is the way I'll think of them.

silentbob007 05-02-05 08:00 AM

However, if I wanted to show the movies to my (future) kids, the order might really be decided by how graphic and/or disturbing Episode III is.

Noonan 05-02-05 08:50 AM

I think the best order would be 4-1-2-5-3-6. New Hope first to get introduced to Vader, the emporer, Luke etc...1 & 2 to learn about Luke's father (still unknown to be Vader)...5 for the big surprise...3 to see how he turned...and 6 to wrap everything up.

Fanboy 05-02-05 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by noonan4224
I think the best order would be 4-1-2-5-3-6. New Hope first to get introduced to Vader, the emporer, Luke etc...1 & 2 to learn about Luke's father (still unknown to be Vader)...5 for the big surprise...3 to see how he turned...and 6 to wrap everything up.

Depending on how Ep. III turns out, this might be the most dramatically intriguing way of watching the series. Sort of a mega-geek Pulp Fiction with the twisting timelines. And Sammy. Don't forget Sammy.

I'll try this out after the 18th and see how it works. Thanks for the idea!

hondo21 05-02-05 12:00 PM

4-1-2-5-3-6 is not bad, but I think it's best to be introduced to Yoda for the first time as he was in Episode V, not Episode I. You get no real feel for what he's all about in the PT - it seems to presume you already know who he is.

So I think maybe the 4-5-6-1-2-3 or 4-5-1-2-3-6 sequences would be better.

RoboDad 05-02-05 12:08 PM

I find this idea intriguing as well. There is certainly a case to be made for Episode 4 being the best introduction to the series. It allows us to meet most of the principal characters, provides a roller coaster adventure, and doesn't really leave too many loose threads to tie up. But, having introduced the concept of Luke's "dead" father, and then immeidately going back to meet him as a child/young man, sounds good. I won't know whether the idea of flipping episodes 3 and 5 will work well until after I see ROTS, but I suspect it might work very well.

:thumbsup: noonan4224!

milo bloom 05-02-05 12:55 PM

I've felt the 4-5-1-2-3-6 is best. Get the introductions, get the heroes in some serious stuff, then the big shocker, then go back and explain everything, then wrap it up.

BrewCrew 05-02-05 02:19 PM

I don't know if 4-5-1-2-3-6 would flow too well because Empire is a cliffhanger and has a different tone than the other movies and it just seems kind of odd going from Empire to Phantom Menace. Seeing Empire and then ROTS might work though.

KnightLerxst 05-02-05 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by BrewCrew
I don't know if 4-5-1-2-3-6 would flow too well because Empire is a cliffhanger and has a different tone than the other movies and it just seems kind of odd going from Empire to Phantom Menace. Seeing Empire and then ROTS might work though.

Yeah...I think you're right...going from 5 to 1 would be a pretty big jump...I guess if the movies were viewed Godfather II style that would be cool.

Nesbit 05-02-05 02:56 PM

Thank you Noonan. In a few years this will be how I introduce my son to the series.

Superboy 05-02-05 06:14 PM

Despite what Lucas has said, you can't seriously watch the movies 1-6 if you're a newcomer. For one, they don't explain what the Force is in the PT (assuming it still is overlooked in ROTS).

milo bloom 05-02-05 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by BrewCrew

The counterpoint to that is between ESB and ROTJ, Luke becomes dead set on bringing Anakin back, and the casual viewer might not make that connection. Going back and seeing the innocent little boy that Anakin was, and what made him fall, will allow them to better see Luke's quest for what it is.

paulringodaman 05-02-05 07:37 PM

The Pulp Fiction/Reservoir Dogs style of watching seems to be the best....I never even thought about it.....I'm sure someone here will devise the perfect story where you stop a movie half way thru and go to another.

RoboDad 05-02-05 08:15 PM

This is a very interesting discussion. I think it is becoming clear that most agree that:
  • 4 should be watched first
  • 6 should be watched last
  • There is no reason to change the "internal" ordering of either trilogy (i.e., 5 should not not come anywhere before 4, etc)

So, at the very least, we have nailed down the 4-1-2-3-6 portion of the viewing order. The only thing that seems to be a subject of debate is where 5 falls best in that order. The primary options are:

4-5-1-2-3-6
4-1-5-2-3-6
4-1-2-5-3-6
4-1-2-3-5-6

However, I might argue that splitting 5 in half, and watching it in this order works best:

4-5a-1-2-5b-3-6

-OR-

4-5a-1-2-3-5b-6

5a would consist of everthing up to and including the scene where Yoda is revealed to Luke, ending with the "I'm not afraid" / "You will be, you will be" exchange, and 5b would be the remainder of the film. This would include some important events prior to watching any of the prequels (Yoda revealed as a Jedi Master, the exchange between Vader and the Emperor about the son of Anakin Skywalker, etc), all of which I think are important to know going into episode 1. Then the stage is set to show Anakin's childhood, training, and relationship with Yoda and Kenobi.

The last question I have is which is better, to show his fall before revealing that he is Luke's father, or after it? I'm thinking after might be better, since it would take away from the shock of the revelation if we see the birth of Luke before Vader's classic line. So, probably the best order is

4-5a-1-2-5b-3-6

So, whaddaya think?

milo bloom 05-02-05 09:33 PM

I don't think 5 would lend itself well to being split up. As I said, it's the big shocker at the end that lends itself to the "flashback" of Anakin's fall. It puts you in a much better mood to accept that Luke can feel some good in him. Remember, Anakin never wanted power for power's sake, he thought all along he was making things right.

Cornelius1047 05-02-05 10:41 PM

5 definitely cannot come after 1-3, if you're viewing it for the first time. The twist at the end of 5 would be pointless (even if Luke doesn't know it, but sensed it all along or whatever, yada yada). Partially depending on how 3 turns out, a case can also be made that maybe 6 shouldn't come last either. 4-6, 1-3 (order of release). I personally kinda like the idea of 4-5-1-2-3-6, but I can understand how splitting up the original trilogy might not sit well with some. Obviously, for some, the correct viewing will be 4-5-6.

K

KnightLerxst 05-03-05 05:09 AM

I think it would be really cool to watch 3 right after 5.....but then where would you place and 2...I mean...if you could sort of watch the story in parallel...maybe that would work...but that might be a little too disjointed. Maybe 4-1-2-5-3-6 would indeed work...eh...but the jump from 4 to 1 would be way too much...and too confusing...I just think the 5-3-6 order would really be powerful. Not to throw this off on a tangent...but if 1 and 2 had more of a backstory in regards to the Star Wars universe...not just Anakin...then maybe it would work...you know...more about the Jedi Knights and their story...but I digress.

If you want to really go hardcore with this...imagine all the movies being re-edited into one movie but Tarantino style...whoa...that boggles the mind right there.

billbert 05-03-05 06:47 PM

Get rid of episode 1

Since we're considering breaking up 5, why not break up the garbage that is 1 - or just throw it away completely? I know that because Lucas went through such trouble to make it some people feel it's necessary to watch Episode 1, but IMHO it is mostly worthless fluff that does nothing to move the Star Wars story. ALL of the major plot lines in Ep 1 are covered again in 2 (except midi-chlorine, but that's a bunch of crap anyway).

Failing that, Episode 1 could easily be cut down into a 30 minute montage piece that can be shown either together or as flashbacks in the Godfather II style.

Scenes to include:

- Short cut of Quigon & Obi Wan fighting droids.
- Fleeing Naboo with Amadalla.
- Intro to Anie/midi-chlorine BS/You're the One Neo (sorry)
- Fleeing Tatooine / fight with Maul
- Jedi Council
- Death of Quigon / Death of Maul / elevation of Kenobi / Anie as a Padawan

That's it. No need for Jar-Jar scenes, no need for the battle at the end of the movie, no need for pod race, no underwater crap, and best of all you get to cut out most of the bad acting and appalling scripting.

Doughboy 05-03-05 08:28 PM

If it's someone who's never seen a Star Wars movie before, I absolutely wouldn't show them TPM first. It's quite possible they may not care about watching the remaining 5 after that.

If they've got enough time, I'd have them watch 4-6, 1-3, and then 4-6 again. And if at all possible, 4-6(at least the first time around) will be the original versions on laserdisc.

bboisvert 05-03-05 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
If they've got enough time, I'd have them watch 4-6, 1-3, and then 4-6 again. And if at all possible, 4-6(at least the first time around) will be the original versions on laserdisc.

That's pretty much my thought...

4-6 (original versions)
1-3
4-6 (SE versions)

That's how I'd have someone watch it for the first time. I don't think that Episode I is a good introduction to the story, and I don't like losing the shock value of the Episode V revelation.

This way, you get the best of both worlds... the original order of release, plus the advantage of immediately getting back to watch 4-6 to see it with 'new eyes' after having seen the prequels.

aspikes 05-07-05 08:30 PM

My vote is for 4,5,1,2,3,6.