DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What's the Big Deal with Wes Anderson (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/420823-whats-big-deal-wes-anderson.html)

Tracer Bullet 05-03-05 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by William Fuld
"Distance themselves enough" from what? Their art?

Well, yeah. Things that may be cut out a script (for good reason) are left in when the writer is also the director. There are some great writer/directors, sure. But I don't think a lot of people are up to it. It removes a check on the creative process. Artists are good at creating art, but there are very few that can claim to be so great they can't benefit from some criticism or structuring. To me, it's the same as an author/editor. There are very good reasons why they're usually not the same person.

William Fuld 05-03-05 04:12 PM

Interesting. I have an almost polar opposite view.

Giles 05-03-05 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
John Sayles has created some very fine films as writer/director.

just not his latest, Silver City which got more negative reviews than good ones

Michael Corvin 05-03-05 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Well, yeah. Things that may be cut out a script (for good reason) are left in when the writer is also the director. There are some great writer/directors, sure. But I don't think a lot of people are up to it. It removes a check on the creative process. Artists are good at creating art, but there are very few that can claim to be so great they can't benefit from some criticism or structuring. To me, it's the same as an author/editor. There are very good reasons why they're usually not the same person.

That is actually a pretty interesting theory. One George Lucas could have benefitted from for Ep. 1 and 2.

NatrlBornThrllr 05-03-05 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Let me ask you one thing. Do you know anyone that went to film school? If you did then you wouldn't have a problem with my post. They seem like they are superior because they like WA and because I don't, I am a feeble minded person who has no taste in film. I never said he made films for film snobs, it just happens to turn out that way. He could commit the biggist pile of dogshit to celluloid and his audience would praise it as high art and the best thing committed to film since Citizen Kane. So the term "snob" was aptly applied for this group of people dispite you thinking the contrary.

But then again, I never said I didn't like/ or "get" his movies, they are mediocre at best, just very overrated.

Yeah, I know two people who are majoring in film and media at UT. Though I'm not sure where they stand on Wes Anderson's films, I can say that I also know a good many casual moviegoers who like various Anderson films. To say that he's "a director for film snobs" pretty much degrades the opinions of everybody who enjoys his works and his sense of humor. It's almost as if you're saying anybody who likes his work is a "film snob" by association.

-JP

Michael Corvin 05-04-05 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Yeah, I know two people who are majoring in film and media at UT. Though I'm not sure where they stand on Wes Anderson's films, I can say that I also know a good many casual moviegoers who like various Anderson films. To say that he's "a director for film snobs" pretty much degrades the opinions of everybody who enjoys his works and his sense of humor. It's almost as if you're saying anybody who likes his work is a "film snob" by association.

-JP

That isn't the way it was supposed to be read. Sure he has other fans, I'm just saying that the people in the business/school latch on to him like he is a golden god, moreso than general fans. Like a basic requirement to work in Hollywood. For example:

Rule #1 - You have to be a democrat
Rule #2 - You have to love WA or pretend you do
Rule #3 - You have to check out scientology, at least to see what it is about.

etc.

FinkPish 05-04-05 09:35 AM

That isn't the way it was supposed to be read. Sure he has other fans, I'm just saying that the people in the business/school latch on to him like he is a golden god, moreso than general fans. Like a basic requirement to work in Hollywood. For example:

Rule #1 - You have to be a democrat
Rule #2 - You have to love WA or pretend you do
Rule #3 - You have to check out scientology, at least to see what it is about.

etc.

I can't tell if you are being serious or facetious, but I find that generalization somwhat offensive. If you worked in Hollywood instead of just reading about it on the internet, you would know that there are as many different types of people working in Hollywood as there are outside of Hollywood. You seem to have some serious issues with people who like things different from your own tastes.

majorjoe23 05-04-05 10:38 AM

No! All types of people fit into two categories: Democrats and Republicans. All Democrats are actors and all Republicans are generals.

Now, here are my rules for living in Des Moines:
Rule #1 — You have to be a torie. NO WHIGS!
Rule #2 — You shall have no other gods before Tom Arnold.
Rule #3 —You have to try the pizza at Big Tomato. It's awesome.

Michael Corvin 05-04-05 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
I can't tell if you are being serious or facetious,

:lol: A little of both. I just think it is funny that we are still talking about it. That, and I've been hanging around the otters too much lately. They have a sense of humor over there.

If you worked in Hollywood instead of just reading about it on the internet, you would know that there are as many different types of people working in Hollywood as there are outside of Hollywood.

Really? :rolleyes:

You seem to have some serious issues with people who like things different from your own tastes.

mmm... I'm gonna have to go with, not even in the same ballpark for $1000 Alex.

NatrlBornThrllr 05-04-05 01:40 PM

That isn't the way it was supposed to be read. Sure he has other fans, I'm just saying that (...)

etc.

Fair enough.

-JP

PenguinJoe 01-27-13 01:33 PM

Re: What's the Big Deal with Wes Anderson

You cannot deny the originality in his works.

Solid Snake 01-27-13 01:33 PM

.......I'm stalking you now.

Why So Blu? 01-27-13 01:53 PM

I hated Moonrise Kingdom. Love everything else he's done.

Jon2 01-27-13 03:22 PM

What? No love for the Fantastic Mr Fox?

Tarantino 01-27-13 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe (Post 11556085)
You cannot deny the originality in his works.

Totally worth a 7 year thread bump.

RagingBull80 01-27-13 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jon2 (Post 11556158)

That film wasn't a thing that existed when 99.8% of this thread happened.

PatD 01-27-13 03:44 PM

Wes Anderson's films rate 11 out of 10 on the cloying hipster scale.

Jules Winfield 01-27-13 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by PatD (Post 11556178)

The hipster scale would go beyond a traditional 10. -rolleyes-

Why So Blu? 01-27-13 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jon2 (Post 11556158)

Still haven't seen it. I'm holding out for a CC version.

cruzness 01-27-13 04:26 PM

Never got the hype his films were always meh.

Troy Stiffler 01-27-13 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 11556107)
I hated Moonrise Kingdom. Love everything else he's done.

Try it again. It was just as good as the others.

Why So Blu? 01-27-13 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by troystiffler (Post 11556214)
Try it again. It was just as good as the others.

Too soon. I barely made it out the first time.

Supermallet 01-27-13 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by PatD (Post 11556178)

But, for me, also usually rate somewhere between 7 and 10 out of 10 on the quality scale.

And I have to come to the defense of Happiness, although I know many of the posts were written in 2005. That film is a masterpiece of 90s cinema. Unfortunately, Life During Wartime was unwatchable tripe.

inri222 01-27-13 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11556262)
And I have to come to the defense of Happiness, although I know many of the posts were written in 2005. That film is a masterpiece of 90s cinema.

:up::up::up:

inri222 01-27-13 06:16 PM

:up:

Rushmore
Bottle Rocket
The Royal Tenenbaums

------------------------------------------------------

:down:

The Life Aquatic
The Darjeeling Limited

------------------------------------------------------