Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So, if this is really the end of the Star Wars movies: then who is Anakin's daddy?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

So, if this is really the end of the Star Wars movies: then who is Anakin's daddy?

Old 05-01-05, 01:23 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, if this is really the end of the Star Wars movies: then who is Anakin's daddy?

You can't leave us hanging like that Lucas. Don't try that whole Shmi/Virgin Mary crap angle. I'm not buying it.
Old 05-01-05, 02:46 AM
  #2  
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Fok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Canada, BC
Posts: 6,691
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I guess you'll be guessing forever.
Old 05-01-05, 02:54 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 485
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anakin's father is . . . R2D2!

L8r
Old 05-01-05, 11:31 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 1,831
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts


"Anakin!...I'm yo Daddy!"
Old 05-01-05, 11:31 AM
  #5  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I've read...

Spoiler:
Sidious manipulated midi-cholorians in Shimi to cause his conceptions. At least he tells Anakin that anyway.
Old 05-01-05, 11:33 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 1,831
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
From what I've read...

Spoiler:
Sidious manipulated midi-cholorians in Shimi to cause his conceptions. At least he tells Anakin that anyway.
Actually, in the Making of Episode III book, it's a little unclear if the dialogue is in the movie or not.

Last edited by jarofclay73; 05-01-05 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-01-05, 01:43 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Carrollton, Ga
Posts: 4,809
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nah, I say leave people guessing.
Old 05-01-05, 05:30 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jarofclay73
Actually, in the Making of Episode III book, it's a little unclear if the dialogue is in the movie or not.
My understanding was that this was in the first draft or two, but has been dropped. It'll remain a mystery...
Old 05-02-05, 03:49 AM
  #9  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,830
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interesting, seeing as...
Spoiler:
qui-gon apparently had a hand in Luke and Leia's conception. whether or not that will remain in the final feature is unknown by me.
Old 05-02-05, 07:03 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
AGuyNamedMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Posts: 17,310
Received 510 Likes on 352 Posts
I've always thought it should be a "Devil's Advocate" scenario. Years ago, when Palpatine was a low level bureaucrat on some fact-finding tour or whatever he happened upon Shmi and his force sensitivity told him she would make an ideal mother for his dark child. He shtupped her and did a little sith mesmer on her to make her forget him.
Old 05-02-05, 07:48 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Surrounded by idiots...
Posts: 6,990
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoiler:
Qui-Gonn had a hand in Luke and Leia's conception???


GROSS!!

Anyway, I hope they do NOT show who Anakin's "daddy" is. Leaving a little mystery in the prequels is ok.
Old 05-02-05, 08:33 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,193
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
I've always thought it should be a "Devil's Advocate" scenario. Years ago, when Palpatine was a low level bureaucrat on some fact-finding tour or whatever he happened upon Shmi and his force sensitivity told him she would make an ideal mother for his dark child. He shtupped her and did a little sith mesmer on her to make her forget him.
if that is true then why didn't he ever announce himself as luke's grandfather?
Old 05-02-05, 09:51 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 3,835
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cygnet74
interesting, seeing as...
Spoiler:
qui-gon apparently had a hand in Luke and Leia's conception. whether or not that will remain in the final feature is unknown by me.
How so? I hadn't heard this before.
Old 05-02-05, 01:18 PM
  #14  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,830
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by uberjoe
How so? I hadn't heard this before.
Spoiler:
in early reports that qui-gon would reveal to yoda the powers of the force that extend beyond death, he also revealed having a hand in the twins' conception via midichlorian manipulation.
Old 05-02-05, 07:10 PM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My god, i would rather it be a complete mystery than any of the above mentioned scenarios.
Old 05-03-05, 12:13 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 641
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UmbrellaAl
My god, i would rather it be a complete mystery than any of the above mentioned scenarios.
Agreed.

Anyone else feel like Lucas was trying too hard to add mythology / symbolism with his whole "The One" , "Prophecy", and "There is no father" baloney? It's almost like he saw the Matrix and thought, "Gee, that's a pretty good idea, I should do that in my movie!"
Old 05-03-05, 03:03 AM
  #17  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,830
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by masetodd
Agreed.

Anyone else feel like Lucas was trying too hard to add mythology / symbolism with his whole "The One" , "Prophecy", and "There is no father" baloney? It's almost like he saw the Matrix and thought, "Gee, that's a pretty good idea, I should do that in my movie!"
these themes have been with us for much longer than that.
Old 05-03-05, 10:34 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 641
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cygnet74
these themes have been with us for much longer than that.
Yah, but they don't belong in a Star Wars movie either. Just give me the old GOOD vs. BAD and I'm happy.

At the very least, Lucas could have been a little less heavy-handed with the Anakin-is-Jesus connection.
Old 05-03-05, 02:21 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by masetodd
Yah, but they don't belong in a Star Wars movie either.
Errrr... did you pay attention during Episodes IV-VI? Lucas has been using ancient mythological motifs since the beginning.

I certainly think that Lucas has made some missteps in the prequel trilogy, but I don't think a couple of brief references to a prophecy of "The Chosen One" equates to being "heavy handed".
Old 05-07-05, 09:03 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,186
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Count Dooku. Think about it.
Old 05-08-05, 09:44 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: behind the eight ball
Posts: 19,961
Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Cygnet74
these themes have been with us for much longer than that.

WHAT? You mean the Matrix wasn't a completely original concept, better than Star Wars in every possible way? I can't believe fanboys would mislead me like this.
Old 05-08-05, 02:41 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 4,551
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
WHAT? You mean the Matrix wasn't a completely original concept, better than Star Wars in every possible way? I can't believe fanboys would mislead me like this.
That's hogwash. Matrix was brilliant and the most original movie ever made. Any similiarities between older stories and The Matrix indicates time travel and plagiarism. And Star Wars was the first movie to ever use special effects.
Old 05-09-05, 08:51 PM
  #23  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: .au
Posts: 179
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I reckon its the emperor. Could be why Annakin was left a slave on a Tatoonie, so he could be watched or monitored.
Old 05-10-05, 04:37 PM
  #24  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 13,929
Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by Toad
Leaving a little mystery in the prequels is ok.
Er, I thought one of the biggest points in even making the PT is to tie up loose ends, including loose ends introduced within the PT.
Old 05-10-05, 04:42 PM
  #25  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bah! who cares anyway! An explaination is given in EPI, its a piss poor one, but it is offered, take it or leave it... and who know's something better (or probably much much worse) may be revealed to us thru EU some day.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.