DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   So, if this is really the end of the Star Wars movies: then who is Anakin's daddy? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/420768-so-if-really-end-star-wars-movies-then-who-anakins-daddy.html)

PopcornTreeCt 05-01-05 01:23 AM

So, if this is really the end of the Star Wars movies: then who is Anakin's daddy?

You can't leave us hanging like that Lucas. Don't try that whole Shmi/Virgin Mary crap angle. I'm not buying it.

Fok 05-01-05 02:46 AM

Well I guess you'll be guessing forever.

RogueScribner 05-01-05 02:54 AM

Anakin's father is . . . R2D2!

L8r

jarofclay73 05-01-05 11:31 AM

http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/emperor.gif

"Anakin!...I'm yo Daddy!"

Josh H 05-01-05 11:31 AM

From what I've read...

Spoiler:
Sidious manipulated midi-cholorians in Shimi to cause his conceptions. At least he tells Anakin that anyway.

jarofclay73 05-01-05 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
From what I've read...

Spoiler:
Sidious manipulated midi-cholorians in Shimi to cause his conceptions. At least he tells Anakin that anyway.

Actually, in the Making of Episode III book, it's a little unclear if the dialogue is in the movie or not.

Terrell 05-01-05 01:43 PM

Nah, I say leave people guessing.

bboisvert 05-01-05 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by jarofclay73
Actually, in the Making of Episode III book, it's a little unclear if the dialogue is in the movie or not.

My understanding was that this was in the first draft or two, but has been dropped. It'll remain a mystery...

Cygnet74 05-02-05 03:49 AM

interesting, seeing as...
Spoiler:
qui-gon apparently had a hand in Luke and Leia's conception. whether or not that will remain in the final feature is unknown by me.

AGuyNamedMike 05-02-05 07:03 AM

I've always thought it should be a "Devil's Advocate" scenario. Years ago, when Palpatine was a low level bureaucrat on some fact-finding tour or whatever he happened upon Shmi and his force sensitivity told him she would make an ideal mother for his dark child. He shtupped her and did a little sith mesmer on her to make her forget him.

Toad 05-02-05 07:48 AM

Spoiler:
Qui-Gonn had a hand in Luke and Leia's conception???

GROSS!!

Anyway, I hope they do NOT show who Anakin's "daddy" is. Leaving a little mystery in the prequels is ok.

al_bundy 05-02-05 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
I've always thought it should be a "Devil's Advocate" scenario. Years ago, when Palpatine was a low level bureaucrat on some fact-finding tour or whatever he happened upon Shmi and his force sensitivity told him she would make an ideal mother for his dark child. He shtupped her and did a little sith mesmer on her to make her forget him.

if that is true then why didn't he ever announce himself as luke's grandfather?

uberjoe 05-02-05 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
interesting, seeing as...
Spoiler:
qui-gon apparently had a hand in Luke and Leia's conception. whether or not that will remain in the final feature is unknown by me.

How so? I hadn't heard this before.

Cygnet74 05-02-05 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by uberjoe
How so? I hadn't heard this before.

Spoiler:
in early reports that qui-gon would reveal to yoda the powers of the force that extend beyond death, he also revealed having a hand in the twins' conception via midichlorian manipulation.

UmbrellaAl 05-02-05 07:10 PM

My god, i would rather it be a complete mystery than any of the above mentioned scenarios.

masetodd 05-03-05 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by UmbrellaAl
My god, i would rather it be a complete mystery than any of the above mentioned scenarios.

Agreed.

Anyone else feel like Lucas was trying too hard to add mythology / symbolism with his whole "The One" , "Prophecy", and "There is no father" baloney? It's almost like he saw the Matrix and thought, "Gee, that's a pretty good idea, I should do that in my movie!"

Cygnet74 05-03-05 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by masetodd
Agreed.

Anyone else feel like Lucas was trying too hard to add mythology / symbolism with his whole "The One" , "Prophecy", and "There is no father" baloney? It's almost like he saw the Matrix and thought, "Gee, that's a pretty good idea, I should do that in my movie!"

these themes have been with us for much longer than that.

masetodd 05-03-05 10:34 AM

Yah, but they don't belong in a Star Wars movie either. Just give me the old GOOD vs. BAD and I'm happy.

At the very least, Lucas could have been a little less heavy-handed with the Anakin-is-Jesus connection.

bboisvert 05-03-05 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by masetodd
Yah, but they don't belong in a Star Wars movie either.

Errrr... did you pay attention during Episodes IV-VI? Lucas has been using ancient mythological motifs since the beginning.

I certainly think that Lucas has made some missteps in the prequel trilogy, but I don't think a couple of brief references to a prophecy of "The Chosen One" equates to being "heavy handed".

Calculon 05-07-05 09:03 PM

Count Dooku. Think about it.

Jason 05-08-05 09:44 AM

WHAT? You mean the Matrix wasn't a completely original concept, better than Star Wars in every possible way? I can't believe fanboys would mislead me like this.

jaeufraser 05-08-05 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
WHAT? You mean the Matrix wasn't a completely original concept, better than Star Wars in every possible way? I can't believe fanboys would mislead me like this.

That's hogwash. Matrix was brilliant and the most original movie ever made. Any similiarities between older stories and The Matrix indicates time travel and plagiarism. And Star Wars was the first movie to ever use special effects.

headrippa 05-09-05 08:51 PM

I reckon its the emperor. Could be why Annakin was left a slave on a Tatoonie, so he could be watched or monitored.

story 05-10-05 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Toad
Leaving a little mystery in the prequels is ok.

Er, I thought one of the biggest points in even making the PT is to tie up loose ends, including loose ends introduced within the PT.

UmbrellaAl 05-10-05 04:42 PM

Bah! who cares anyway! An explaination is given in EPI, its a piss poor one, but it is offered, take it or leave it... and who know's something better (or probably much much worse) may be revealed to us thru EU some day.