Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014) D: Rodriguez/Miller

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014) D: Rodriguez/Miller

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-05, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Spoiler:
-Nancy avenges Hartigan's death by killing remaining members of the Roark family. Miller says this will show "a whole new side of Nancy." This story has been confirmed as one of the main stories for the planned movie Sin City 2.

-A prequel story about Hartigan

-A story with a brand new character
Wow. As far as I'd heard, Sin City 2 would be mostly based on A Dame to Kill For, but whether we get these new stories in SC2 or SC3, I'm very excited for them.

Spoiler:
Besides being hot, I thought Nancy was a promising character that I'd like to see more of. It'd also be great to see more of Hartigan, as he was my favorite male lead character in the stories told in the first Sin City movie. I'd normally balk at the idea of a prequel story, but if Miller's writing it, I'm sure it'd be good.
Old 10-18-05, 12:38 PM
Banned

I haven't read the entire thread, so please don't kill me if this has been previous discussed, but doesn't anyone else fear the "Matrix effect" will overcome these movies. The first Matrix was awesome because it was original and a wake-up for Hollywood. The sequels were filmed back to back and were definitely not as well done as the original. Does anyone see this happening again with Sin City?
Old 10-18-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Well, as long as they use "A Dame to Kill For," they will have one of the strongest Sin City stories as a backbone.
Old 10-18-05, 01:48 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if the planned SE release of Sin City will be put on hold, or if there will be triple dipping
Old 10-18-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joshd2012
I haven't read the entire thread, so please don't kill me if this has been previous discussed, but doesn't anyone else fear the "Matrix effect" will overcome these movies. The first Matrix was awesome because it was original and a wake-up for Hollywood. The sequels were filmed back to back and were definitely not as well done as the original. Does anyone see this happening again with Sin City?
You seem to be confusing the issue. For the people who disliked the Matrix sequels, I would say that the disappointment came from the direction of the story, not the fact that the sequels were filmed concurrently. To me, the fact that two movies, sequels or otherwise, were filmed at the same time has no bearing on their quality. Take a look at LOTR, which were 3 movies shot concurrently.
Old 10-19-05, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any chance we'll see more of Becky?
Old 10-19-05, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Any chance we'll see more of Becky?
Not likely.
Spoiler:
In the comics she was killed in the firefight. The last part with Josh Hartnet was constructed strictly for the film. Dunno if she'll die in the shootout in the director's cut.
Old 10-19-05, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fok
I wonder if the planned SE release of Sin City will be put on hold, or if there will be triple dipping
If they postpone the release of the SE I think some people on the forums would have a heart attack Remember what happened last time (see post 124 onward)?
Old 10-20-05, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Yocke
Not likely.
Spoiler:
In the comics she was killed in the firefight. The last part with Josh Hartnet was constructed strictly for the film. Dunno if she'll die in the shootout in the director's cut.
But aren't the films going to be about things from the past; things that took place before the things we saw in the 1st film? So, was she a part of any other stories that are possibly being considered for the sequals?
Old 10-20-05, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
But aren't the films going to be about things from the past; things that took place before the things we saw in the 1st film? So, was she a part of any other stories that are possibly being considered for the sequals?
She's not in any of the other stories from what I can remember. That's not to say she won't be in any of the new stories he's writing though.
Old 10-20-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Earlier this week we reported about the upcoming Sin City 2 and its plot. Well today we got an email from Will who went right to Robert Rodriguez to get the low down on Sin City 2.

“Yeah, Frank Miller is writing some completely new material for the movie,” he told us, kicking back in his Austin edit suite. “I want to mix it. I want to do something original, so people can’t buy the book and know how it’s going to end already.”

I dont doubt Robert is going to kick some ass in this new sequel. I gotta tell you the name Frank Miller & Robert Rodriquez are two names I would like to see together for a long time to come. Also on another note Jessica Alba is on board according to the English magazine ZOO. Everyone look around at each other now and pretend you are surprised that Jessica Alba has signed on to reprise her role in the upcoming Sin City 2. The first one really exploded her career and in the 2nd one she will have an even larger role as we reported earlier.

MOVIESONLINE.ca
Old 10-21-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Yocke
She's not in any of the other stories from what I can remember. That's not to say she won't be in any of the new stories he's writing though.
Doesn't look good if she wasn't in any other stories.

Darn, I thought that was a great role for Alexis and she played it very well.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-21-05, 01:04 AM

2 and 3 not being shot back to back

Title says it all. Haven't read the whole thread so don't know if its already posted, but I can definitely tell you that Sin City 2 and 3 are most definitely not being shot back to back.
Old 10-21-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vasb
Title says it all. Haven't read the whole thread so don't know if its already posted, but I can definitely tell you that Sin City 2 and 3 are most definitely not being shot back to back.
O........K, got anything to back that up?
Old 10-21-05, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
O........K, got anything to back that up?
Sorry, just realized with you comment that I did't post any qualifications. I'm a huge Sin City fan and work for Dimension. Recently checked about what's going on with Sin City 2 - it is being filmed in Austin, but Sin City 3 is not, theyre going to do it separately after 2 is released.
Old 10-24-05, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I started this thread in the TV forum, and here is a link:

Sin City TV Series in the Works
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=442596
Old 10-24-05, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FinkPish
You seem to be confusing the issue. For the people who disliked the Matrix sequels, I would say that the disappointment came from the direction of the story, not the fact that the sequels were filmed concurrently. To me, the fact that two movies, sequels or otherwise, were filmed at the same time has no bearing on their quality. Take a look at LOTR, which were 3 movies shot concurrently.
My concern is that comercial sucess will bury these films, as it did the Matrix films. Matrix was a huge hit, so they filmed the sequels thinking that no matter what the story was, they would be sucessful. It is true, in a sense, since they made so much money, but they definitely failed to maintain the quality after the first Matrix. I fear that the same thing will happen here. They will try to do too much with the sequels and just ruin the films.

I just got that strange feeling from what I've been reading. They need to emulate what they did on the first film. Even in this thread, there is talk of re-writing. Just not a good feeling.
Old 02-01-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's our very own Todd Doogan with some Rumor Mill musings:

Lookie, lookie, lookie here. I'm in no way, shape or form a gossip junkie, but I stumbled upon this story in The New York Daily News last week. If you read between the lines in that second paragraph... to me it clearly says that Angelina Jolie will be playing Ava in the new Sin City flick that's coming to us end of this year/beginning of next. She. Is. Perfect. Seriously.

Ava is the femme fatale from the Sin City story A Dame to Kill For, which would be a prequel to both A Hard Goodbye and Big Fat Kill, and is one of Frank Miller's best. Ava's a raven-haired beauty, one of the most beautiful women on the planet - the kind of woman who can make cool as a cucumber Dwight completely loose it. And most of the novel, we focus on her body in silhouette and her beautiful mouth. Besides looking just like Ava in the comic, I mean, can you picture a better body or mouth? Here's some pics of Ava "in the ink" from Sin City artwork... http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#020106

Jolie will have her baby in June, and should be back in shape a few weeks to a month after... so that leaves her the right amount of time to shoot her stuff. I dunno, but I'm pretty excited now.

Anyway, check out the story and see if you can come to the same conclusions as me... - TD

THEDIGITALBITS.com
Old 02-01-06, 10:48 PM
Cool New Member

The LOTR analogy that was made is definately the more accurate than the matrix/botf ones. Its not a case of some hokey bullshit story being invented on the fly to fit into the world that was hurridly created to cash in on the popularity of the first. As long as the same care is taken with the adapatation of the source material these will turn out to be comparable to the first at the worst.
Old 02-23-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Miller on Sin City 2

An original story makes the film a true sequel.

February 17, 2006 - Little Nancy Callahan is making a return in Sin City 2. At last week's WonderCon in San Francisco, Frank Miller spoke briefly on the sequel to 2005's Sin City. Filming is expected to being in May or June, meaning that a spring 2007 release is likely.

It was already revealed that the film would adapt one of the best Sin stories, "A Dame to Kill For". That, however, won't be the only story featured in the next movie. Miller is writing a brand new story to weave throughout the film. The new tale follows Nancy Callahan after the events of "That Yellow Bastard" and shows how she was affected by Hartigan's suicide.

Several shorts are also going to be featured. Miller hinted that "Blue Eyes" and perhaps a few other shorts from the book Lost, Lonely, and Lethal could make the final cut and see near-perfect panel-to-screen translations.

Casting is still unknown, but "A Dame to Kill For" would bring back several characters from last film, including Gail, played by Rosario Dawson. Dwight, played by Clive Owen in the first film, is the star of "Dame". However, in this story (which takes place before the events of the first film), Dwight has a different face, so it's unclear if Owen would still be cast in the role. Also appearing in "Dame" and likely Sin City 2 are Miho, Manute and Marv. Yeah, Marv is back, albeit in a smaller role.

IGN.com
Old 02-23-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
I'm still drunk off the style of the first flick, so big on that note.
Old 03-14-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jolie Eyed for 'Sin City 2'?

There is no surprise that Sin City 2 is being delayed considering it is a Weinstein Co. production, but this time it seems it isn't due to the brothers 'Stein holding the film for a later release, instead it is because Robert Rodriguez wants Angelina Jolie for a role in the film and considering she is very much pregnant at the moment filming has been delayed.
The news comes to us as Sci-Fi Wire had a few words with Rosario Dawson who starred in the first flick and will reprise her role as the rogue hooker Gail in the sequel. Dawson told the site, "The film's been kind of postponed because Robert has been interested in Angelina Jolie for the lead... But she's very pregnant right now. So that's putting an understandable hold on the film."

Sin City 2 will be based on Frank Miller's graphic novel stories "A Dame to Kill for" and "Lost, Lonely and Lethal" and while we know this, we don't know exactly what role Jolie is being eyed for.

Dawson went on to comment about her part in the flick saying, "I don't think Gail changes all that much from the first film to this one... Gail is always Gail. The only preparation I've had to do was just to stay healthy. I think the main question in regards to Gail is whether or not I'll cut my hair this time. It's starting to get a bit long now."

Jolie's pregnancy was confirmed back in mid-January with an expected summer delivery. I can only assume she will make a miraculous Hollywood comeback and be as sexy as ever once the baby has been born. Jolie will be seen in The Good Shepherd later this year.

ROPEOFSILICON.com
Old 03-15-06, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lost, Lonely, and Lethal?

Is that the new Nancy story?
Old 03-15-06, 06:01 AM
Banned

wow, angelina jolie is a potential lead. that sucks. she's a horrible actress but she does fit the role of ava in a dame to kill for. as for lost lonely and lethal, i don't remember that as a title for any book or short story in sin city, though "lost, lonely and lethal" does sound like "delia" from the short story "blue eyes." if they changed the name, it's pretty dumb.
Old 03-15-06, 11:52 AM

I don't think Lost, Lonely, and Lethal was a short story. It's not in Booze, Broads & Bullets anyway.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.