Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014) D: Rodriguez/Miller

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014) D: Rodriguez/Miller

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry Woodward
Fantasy casting:

Family Values
Salma Hayek as Carmen
Once Upon A Time in Sin City

He couldn't find a spot for her in "Sin City" but Robert Rodriguez thinks he can squeeze her into the impending follow-up.

The filmmaker says he's keen to work with Hayek - who did Rodriguez's "Desperado" films and "Spy Kids 3D" - anytime, and if it works out, we'll be seeing her adorable mug in "Sin City 2" in 2006.

"I always consider Salma for my projects, even for male roles", JoBlo.com quotes the Texan. He added, "but yes, there is a character that suits her in this new movie."

At this stage, Mickey Rourke is the only one confirmed for the sequel.

[MOVIEHOLE.net]
Old 07-13-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Once Upon A Time in Sin City

At this stage, Mickey Rourke is the only one confirmed for the sequel.

[MOVIEHOLE.net]

No Clive Owen or Rosario Dawson? Given that Owen's character
Spoiler:
spends most of his story in Dame with a different face, they could pull it off without much effort, aside from maybe the last ten minutes or so.

If they make one of "To Hell and Back" , I think they should stick with the idea of Johnny Depp for the lead, Kate Bosworth as the girl who tries to trick his character, and while many might disagree, I think they should try to get Marcia Cross as Mariah (this would stay with the trend of casting people against type, like they did with Rory from Gilmore Girls).
Old 07-13-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It'll depend on what books are used, I guess. Weren't the best of the lot used for this year's Sin City?

And am I crazy or did they use bits of A Dame to Kill For in this one? I realize it uses some of the same characters, but there were also some scenes in A Dame that were in the film (though that particular story was not).
Old 07-13-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
The filmmaker says he's keen to work with Hayek - who did Rodriguez's "Desperado" films and "Spy Kids 3D" - anytime, and if it works out, we'll be seeing her adorable mug in "Sin City 2" in 2006.

"I always consider Salma for my projects, even for male roles", JoBlo.com quotes the Texan. He added, "but yes, there is a character that suits her in this new movie."
Old 07-20-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sounds good. the first sin city was pretty cool and I don't usually like comic book/graphic novel type adaptations...
Old 07-21-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sin City 2: More Sinful
Old 07-21-05, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mifuneral
It'll depend on what books are used, I guess. Weren't the best of the lot used for this year's Sin City?

And am I crazy or did they use bits of A Dame to Kill For in this one? I realize it uses some of the same characters, but there were also some scenes in A Dame that were in the film (though that particular story was not).

The opening sequence with Harnett was a short (8 pages or so) from one of the anthology books/comics, but the ending , I'm almost 100% certain, was a creation of Miller's and Rodriquez's.
Old 08-01-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Murphy signs up for Sin City sequel

Adorable ditz, Brittany Murphy, has signed to star in the sequel to the funktastic "Sin City".

"I'm absolutely thrilled. It's exciting to be a part of something so big and artistically groundbreaking", says the actress, who played Shellie in Robert Rodriguez's film transfer of the Frank Miller comic.

"I love the film and I'm ecstatic to be working with director Robert Rodriguez and the crew again."

Also signed up for a second bout in film noir-ville is Mickey Rourke, reprising his role as the over-sized mean machine, Marv.

It's going to be quite a hefty twelve months for Murphy. She's just completed voicing a character in George Miller's "Happy Feet", and has no less than five other films due out for release in 2006 : Including "The Groomsmen" with Edward Burns, and "Love and Other Disasters" with Orlando Bloom.

MOVIEHOLE.net
Old 08-01-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 184 Posts
Does Marv have a large role in other stories?
Old 08-01-05, 11:31 PM

In "A Dame To Kill For" he is Dwight's sidekick.
Old 08-02-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm looking forward to both of these since the first was even better than I thought it could be.
Old 08-03-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

During his roundtable interview for upcoming release of Sin City on DVD we got a chance to talk to Robert Rodriguez about his upcoming projects.

First up both Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino are writing a double feature exploitation film, called "Grind House," it's two movies as one. Basically they will be an hour apiece, and in between each film they will have fake trailers. Each film is going to be written and directed by them. Rodriguez also mentioned that the film will have a “Drive-In feel” and that he will start shooting it as soon as he is done writing it. The film will be shot in Austin in the Fall; he will also be the DP for Quentin Tarantino one hour of the film. The Weinstein Co will distribute Grind House.

Robert is LA on vacation but actually staying at Quentin Tarantino's house and writing.

When asked if he will be directing anything for TV like Quentin Tarantino did for CSI, Rodriguez mentioned that he would be directing a George Lopez Show episode. You will know which episode he is directing cause you will recognize his style.

Whether or not the Spy Kids Franchise is over? “We might do an animated straight to DVD thing, that will be it. Couldn’t do a live action thing, kids are too big,” says Rodriguez.

Now as for Sin City 2, the film will be based on A Dame to Kill For, and the following characters will be coming back Marv, Gail, Dwight, Goldie/Wendy and Shellie plus some new characters he wouldn't mention at this time cause you know...the trades need to announce it.

LATINOREVIEW.com
Old 08-03-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

.... "Grind House," it's two movies as one..... The Weinstein Co will distribute Grind House.
Which means it'll end up as 2 movies and Tarantino will be bullied into agreeing with the decision as if it was his intent all along.
Old 08-03-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Cameron
Sin City 2: More Sinful
2 Sin 2 City?
Old 08-04-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Rodriguez mentioned that he would be directing a George Lopez Show episode. You will know which episode he is directing cause you will recognize his style.
3D or lots of usage with a Guachomole Gun...
Old 08-23-05, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Sin City" scribe and co-director Frank Miller has revealed to Now Playing Magazine that he and director Robert Rodriguez are "working on the final touches of how the story [for Sin City 2] is going to work, and we're right now planning to start shooting in January."

While this may seem like an accelerated timetable, the push can be attributed to the first film's box office success as well as Rodriguez's inability to remain idle. "Robert doesn't mess around - he gets right to it," Miller explains. It's unknown at this time whether Miller will make another cameo in the new movie - in the first, he played a priest murdered by Mickey Rourke's Marv character.

Miller also notes that the plot for the second film will come from his acclaimed Sin City graphic novel A Dame To Kill For, "plus a new story that I've created for [the movie] that weaves in and out of the larger story." This should comfort fans who are worried that the film franchise will end when the previously-published material runs out. As Miller puts it, "I don't really plan on running out of [material] 'cause I'm still doing [the comics]. ... There's material in my head that could go on forever."

DARKHORIZONS.com
Old 08-23-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Danny Trejo to Sin

Having been left out of proceedings first time around, Robert Rodriguez is recruiting old pal Danny Trejo for the "Sin City" sequel, says Superhero Hype.

Trejo, who appears in most of Rodriguez's films, told attendees at this year's Maryland Horrorfind Weekend that although he's signed to appear in "Sin City 2 : A Dame to Kill For", he doesn't have a name for his character yet - as the script's still being penned.

MOVIEHOLE.net
Old 08-24-05, 09:01 PM

IGN: A Dame to Kill For is supposed to be the focus of the second film. Will you interpolate other stories into that narrative as you did with the first Sin City?

Miller: It's going to be A Dame to Kill For and I'm right now crafting a new story that's going to be weaved in through it, and what I have in mind involves Nancy Callahan after Yellow Bastard, and it's kind of a shocking new version of Nancy.

IGN: Are you concerned at all that Jessica Alba might not be willing to go in this new direction with Nancy, since she had some reservations about the role in the first film?

Miller: You can't do this job and think that way. You have to proceed assuming you're going to get everything you want, and so I write a story assuming I'll get Jessica. I know that when I do a story and it's good, actors love to know that the guy writing it knows what he's talking about, and I have no doubt that if we can get Jessica on board for this, she and I will work very well [together] again.

IGN: Is there a name for that segment yet?

Miller: Yeah, but I'm not telling you (laughs). I do, but I really don't want to talk about it; I'm kind of superstitious, and I'm always afraid I'll ruin something if I talk about it too much.

IGN: Have you and Robert assessed whether or not you have enough material to make a third film, if the opportunity arises?

Miller: Oh, we've got so much material that it's ridiculous. I mean, I would love to shoot Family Values, and that's a pretty rich piece of work. With the first Sin City, because Robert's a very good editor, he really wanted to make it jam-packed, and he was able to cut the stories down in size in ways that shocked me. Now that we've got success on our hands and we can breathe a little bit, I want to use it. So if you're asking me 'is there going to be a third,' my question is 'is there going to be a fifth?'

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/643/643778p1.html
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/643/643778p2.html

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 08-24-05 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-25-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Having been left out of proceedings first time around, Robert Rodriguez is recruiting old pal Danny Trejo for the "Sin City" sequel, says Superhero Hype.
Great news, he's a bad mofo!

Old 08-26-05, 12:55 AM

I hope these movies are at least half as good as the first one.
Old 08-28-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just watched the first one again this morning, and once again, loved it.

I did a quick search here, but I didn't find it (I sure it has been probably mentioned) but what was the purpose of Josh Hartnett's character in Sin City? I know someone mentioned that it was about 8 pages of one of the stories, but does his character show up in any of the other stories? Just curious.
Old 08-28-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Making II and III at the same time when everyone is available rather than looking at schedules that go against this makes much more sense.
Old 08-28-05, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by movieking
I did a quick search here, but I didn't find it (I sure it has been probably mentioned) but what was the purpose of Josh Hartnett's character in Sin City? I know someone mentioned that it was about 8 pages of one of the stories, but does his character show up in any of the other stories? Just curious.
His character in the movie's credits was called The Man. He appears in the Sin City books Booze, Broads & Bullets and Hell & Back. Those that know him call him Colonel. Frank Miller himself confirmed it in the letter section at the end of one of the issues.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 08-28-05 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-29-05, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by nightmaster
Making II and III at the same time when everyone is available rather than looking at schedules that go against this makes much more sense.
Although Rodriguez is pretty flexible when it comes to shooting. He shoots quickly, and the actors are only on set for a short time. Furthermore, he also shoots some people at separate times and comines them in post (for example, Bruce Willis and Britany Murphy didn't meet until the premiere, despite sharing an insignifigant scene)
Old 10-18-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, so we all know that there will indeed be a 'Sin City 2' based upon a few more comics in the series but which ones will be told? not really sure, or are we. Apparently some storyline details have been leaked and if you want to know just what you are in for with the upcoming sequel, take a read on down for the details. I should warn you if you haven't seen the first yet, there are spoilers, so read ahead with your own caution.

Wikipedia Reports:

Frank Miller has confirmed that he is working on new Sin City storylines. The following have been mentioned:

Spoiler:
-Nancy avenges Hartigan's death by killing remaining members of the Roark family. Miller says this will show "a whole new side of Nancy." This story has been confirmed as one of the main stories for the planned movie Sin City 2.

-A prequel story about Hartigan

-A story with a brand new character

Although there has been much fan speculation on specifics (as well as how many stories Miller will publish in total), few details have been verified thus far.

freezedriedmovies.com

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.