Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014) D: Rodriguez/Miller

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014) D: Rodriguez/Miller

Old 04-29-05, 10:27 AM
  #51  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago...NOT my kind of town, I hate urban living, but have no choice
Posts: 72
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rexinnih
Two more? No problem, I'll be there.
I'll be on those sequels like a hobo on a ham sandwich!
Old 04-29-05, 10:39 AM
  #52  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 3,954
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Back-to-back sequels never work.

Just look at Back to the Future II and III

And Matrix: Reloaded and Revolutions.

what about lord of the rings, they were filmed back to back?
Old 04-29-05, 11:36 AM
  #53  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 558
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darqleo
Having read the rest of the SIN CITY graphic novels, if they do them at the same level of quality as the first one, it should work out fine. Especially if he does get Johnny Depp to play Wallace in TO HELL AND BACK. Oh and more Miho goodness in FAMILY VALUES.
Thanks for answering my question before I even got a chance to post it...

I don't know anything about the Sin City books (save for what I've read here). Good to know that the stories for future movies already exist.
Old 04-29-05, 11:51 AM
  #54  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,197
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon
what about lord of the rings, they were filmed back to back?
i repeat, the two towers and return of the king are not sequels.

lord of the rings is a 7 hour movie broken into thirds to literally save our asses.
Old 04-29-05, 12:05 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 17,174
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroStone
I'll be on those sequels like a hobo on a ham sandwich!
That's the most offensive thing I've ever...

Oh, wait, you said hobo

Old 04-29-05, 12:16 PM
  #56  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdinosaur
i repeat, the two towers and return of the king are not sequels.

lord of the rings is a 7 hour movie broken into thirds to literally save our asses.
True, but Sin City is somewhat similar, in that it's just adapting pre-existing source material, so it shouldn't suffer from being filmed back to back.

I think the problem usually arises with back to back films on new material as not much time is spent on writing the story and dialogue. That's not an issue with Sin City where all they have to do is film the storys.

Hell, they're graphic novels so they already have storyboards so its even easier to do than LOTR.
Old 04-29-05, 12:59 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Makati, Philippines
Posts: 1,547
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I for one am happy that Robert Rodriguez didn't get to do John Carter of Mars, because now Kerry Conran gets to do it
Old 04-29-05, 01:18 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know if there will be MORE BECKY in the sequels or totally different characters?
Old 04-29-05, 03:47 PM
  #59  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 589
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fantasy casting:

A Dame To Kill For

Clive Owen as Dwight McCarthy
Mickey Rourke as Marv
Melinda Clarke as Ava Lord
Rosario Dawson as Gail
Devon Aoki as Miho
Cary Elwes as Damien Lord
Michael Clarke Duncan as Manute
Kiefer Sutherland as Mort
Michael Madsen as Bob
John C. Reilly as Agamemnon
Brittany Murphy as Shellie
Jaime King as Goldie/Wendy
Jessica Alba as Nancy Callahan
Arnold Schwarzenegger as Wallenquist (a.k.a. The Kraut)

Family Values

Clive Owen as Dwight McCarthy
Devon Aoki as Miho
Ben Affleck as Vito
Casey Affleck as Lucca
Robert DeNiro as Don Magliozzi
Joe Pesci as Spinelli
Michael Chiklis as Vinnie
Rick Gomez as Klump (a.k.a. Little Boy)
Nick Offerman as Shlubb (a.k.a. Fat Man)
James Gandolfini as Bruno
Eva Mendes as Daisy
Salma Hayek as Carmen
Marg Helgenberger as Peggy
Cheech Marin as Otto
Arnold Schwarzenegger as Wallenquist (a.k.a. The Kraut)
Marisol Nichols as Flirting Policewoman

Hell And Back

Johnny Depp as Wallace
Gina Torres as Esther
Rebecca Romijn as Delia (a.k.a. Blue Eyes)
Josh Hartnett as Colonel (a.k.a. The Man)
Jude Ciccolella as Liebowitz
Christina Hendricks as Mariah
Terry O'Quinn as The Captain
Quentin Tarantino as Jerry
Ron Rifkin as Dr. Fredric
Joel Grey as Orrin
Willem Dafoe as Purvis
Kathy Bates as Mrs. Mendoza
John C. Reilly as Agamemnon

Guest cast for drug induced hallucination sequence:

Sylvester Stallone as John Rambo
Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry
Ron Perlman as Hellboy
Daryl Hannah as Mermaid
Antonio Banderas as Zorro

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 07-13-05 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-29-05, 07:20 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 4,551
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdinosaur
i repeat, the two towers and return of the king are not sequels.

lord of the rings is a 7 hour movie broken into thirds to literally save our asses.
I just don't really agree with this sentiment. Not that this isn't one big story, but it's a bit far fetched to claim that the only thing making the three LoTR separate are the credits. Thoug they definately continue in the same vein, there are definite stylistic and editing chioces made to make each film work on their own even if part of the larger story. They're still different films and no doubt would be different (thoguh probably slightly) if made to be one long movie. There's a definite division in how the three LoTR movies are made which goes all the way back to the script.

Either way, Sin City is not one long story. Hell, the movie isn't even one story. This is a different type of film and based on what Rodriguez came up with before, he coudl very well turn out two solid films on more material. I think book fans can say whether there's still enough good stuff to make two movies. The precedence set by other films shot back to back means nothing compared to this film...because, well, it never does. What you have here is great material which, given how the first film was done, indicates that if the other preexisting material is good, so will this considering how faithful it is. And considering that the W brothers, Peter Jackson, and Robert Zemeckis have nothing to do with this movie, it just doesn't really mean anything to use that as a reason why this will suck.
Old 04-29-05, 11:54 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 13,388
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp

BTW, i preffer Back to the Future III over Back to the Future II. I like the concept of the first sequel (and it's a whole lot of fun) but it began with too big an inconsistency with regards to Doc Brown's motives. This alone was reason for me to view it as the lesser of the two sequels.
Dragging this thread further off topic (I haven't even seen Sin City yet), but I'm not sure I'm following the bit about Doc Brown. Part 2 only dragged for me because they spent too much time in 1955.

And while I generally dislike westerns, the whole train sequence puts my heart in my throat everytime and makes Part 3 worthwhile.
Old 04-30-05, 10:12 AM
  #62  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,730
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

I happen to like both Back to the Future films and I happen to love both Matrix sequels.
Full agreement there.
Old 04-30-05, 01:54 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
Dragging this thread further off topic (I haven't even seen Sin City yet), but I'm not sure I'm following the bit about Doc Brown. Part 2 only dragged for me because they spent too much time in 1955.

And while I generally dislike westerns, the whole train sequence puts my heart in my throat everytime and makes Part 3 worthwhile.
In Back To The Future Doc Brown refused to alter future history but at the end of the film he took a new stance ("But then I figured:what the hell?"). Back To The Future ends (and Back To The Future Part II begins) with Doc Brown taking Marty and Jennifer to the future to help out Marty's son from ruining his life with the Courthouse incident. It makes no sense that Doc Brown would be so gung-ho to alter this future even but refuses to let Marty know about his future car accident because he doesn't want to alter the course of future history. That's a big contradiction and it bugs the hell out of me when I watch Back To The Future Part II. I actually liked the revisit to 1955, thus seeing everything again but from a different perspective, and the bit with the alternate 1985.

I really dig Back To The Future Part III because I adore westerns and the train sequence was a whole lot of fun.



Mathew Chmiel/scott shelton:

I think both Matrix sequels are woefully underrated as they are very enjoyable. Same with the Back To The Future sequels.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-30-05 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-30-05, 04:49 PM
  #64  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 483
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's still some good source material out there, and they have 2 full movies to use them in. Plus there is extended footage from the first to tie things together nicely. They also have Miller working on the scripts, so I'm not worried that they'll be things put together just for the hell of makin more money, e.g. Spy Kids 2 and 3.
Old 05-01-05, 02:23 AM
  #65  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The True North!
Posts: 958
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good news cant wait!
Old 05-01-05, 02:40 AM
  #66  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 746
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uhftv
They also have Miller working on the scripts, so I'm not worried that they'll be things put together just for the hell of makin more money, e.g. Spy Kids 2 and 3.
So what you're saying is you don't want to see Sin City: The Adventures of Dwight Boy and Miho Girl in 3-D?
Old 05-01-05, 04:11 PM
  #67  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 483
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duder
So what you're saying is you don't want to see Sin City: The Adventures of Dwight Boy and Miho Girl in 3-D?

Not if I can help it..

Although if there was a way to make only the female characters 3-D, then that'd be the way to go.
Old 05-02-05, 01:07 AM
  #68  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
gerrythedon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Inglewood, Ca.
Posts: 7,007
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry Woodward
Further, Rodriguez plans to start shooting a film titled CONAN for Warner Bros. after he's done with the sequels. We're not sure whether CONAN is the same sequel that's been in development for a few years now, Conan O'Brien's scintillating tell-all autobiography or something completely original.

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=7308
Robert Rodriguez confirmed for King Conan
Posted on Sat, 30-Apr-2005

Mr Film Fantastic, Robert Rodriguez, looks set to helm the next "Conan" sequel.

The Arnold Fans has discovered that John Milius, who has been trying to get a third "Conan" film off the ground for longer than gas has fuelled cars, has been given his walking papers - and that Rodriguez, currently spinning a lot of bank with "Sin City", is the Barbarian's new pop.

"John Milius had a 5 year contract to be on the WB lot, however, after WB gave Conan away to Rodriguez, they decided they did not need Milius and kicked him off the lot without renewing his contract", says the site.

Milius had been working on "King Conan" - which tells the story of the Barbarian and his son - for quite a while. It's believed he recently talked to wrestler Triple-H about filling Arnold Schwarzenneger's shoes, upon discovering Arnold's too busy playing Governor.

It's not known whether Rodriguez plans on using Milius' idea for "King Conan" or whether he's going to start afresh, and whether he's going to try and coax Arnold Schwarzenegger back to the role of Conan or take on Milius' idea of bringing in Triple-H.

We shall see.

[MOVIEHOLE.net]
Old 05-02-05, 01:40 AM
  #69  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Robert Rodriguez confirmed for King Conan
Posted on Sat, 30-Apr-2005

Mr Film Fantastic, Robert Rodriguez, looks set to helm the next "Conan" sequel.

The Arnold Fans has discovered that John Milius, who has been trying to get a third "Conan" film off the ground for longer than gas has fuelled cars, has been given his walking papers - and that Rodriguez, currently spinning a lot of bank with "Sin City", is the Barbarian's new pop.

"John Milius had a 5 year contract to be on the WB lot, however, after WB gave Conan away to Rodriguez, they decided they did not need Milius and kicked him off the lot without renewing his contract", says the site.

Milius had been working on "King Conan" - which tells the story of the Barbarian and his son - for quite a while. It's believed he recently talked to wrestler Triple-H about filling Arnold Schwarzenneger's shoes, upon discovering Arnold's too busy playing Governor.

It's not known whether Rodriguez plans on using Milius' idea for "King Conan" or whether he's going to start afresh, and whether he's going to try and coax Arnold Schwarzenegger back to the role of Conan or take on Milius' idea of bringing in Triple-H.

We shall see.

[MOVIEHOLE.net]
I think Robert Rodriguez is great and all but, if this is true, I don't like this bit of news one bit.

I was really hoping to see Milius' intended ending to the Conan series.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-02-05 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-02-05, 06:50 AM
  #70  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has been confirmed and suspicisions proven write that Frank Miller will write further chapters for the movie.

Meanwhile, 'The Urge to Purge' wrote in with this "A contact of mine asked Rodriguez about the Sin City "back to back" rumor and found out that it is indeed true. He asked him how can there be enough material for two more movies and Rodriguez answered that " (Frank) Miller is going to write more chapters for the films".
Old 05-02-05, 12:56 PM
  #71  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 192
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustard_Plug
It has been confirmed and suspicisions proven write that Frank Miller will write further chapters for the movie.

Meanwhile, 'The Urge to Purge' wrote in with this "A contact of mine asked Rodriguez about the Sin City "back to back" rumor and found out that it is indeed true. He asked him how can there be enough material for two more movies and Rodriguez answered that " (Frank) Miller is going to write more chapters for the films".

That's the first thing I assumed when I heard the news. All the people at the begining of the thread saying it can't be true cause there's not enough source material, hah. It's not like miller is dead or in a coma or something. I wouldn't be suprised to see one of the movies be all new source material.
Old 05-02-05, 02:22 PM
  #72  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I was thinking the same thing while reading the thread before it became too weird. Frank Miller is still doing comics, so i dont know how people didnt put two and two together.
Old 05-02-05, 06:11 PM
  #73  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: WA
Posts: 546
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's good to hear that Miller and Rodriguez will be making two more sequels and shot back to back no less mmmmmmm Miho. Any announcement on the release date of the Sin City dvd?
Old 05-03-05, 12:58 AM
  #74  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,263
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by uhftv
There's still some good source material out there, and they have 2 full movies to use them in. Plus there is extended footage from the first to tie things together nicely. They also have Miller working on the scripts, so I'm not worried that they'll be things put together just for the hell of makin more money, e.g. Spy Kids 2 and 3.
Hey, I actually enjoyed Spy Kids 2.

Now Spy Kids 3... don't get me started on that piece of shit...
Old 05-23-05, 06:47 AM
  #75  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 21,029
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4561547.stm

Sin City writer defends violence
By Caroline Briggs
BBC News entertainment reporter in Cannes

Comic book writer Frank Miller has defended the violence in the film Sin City, which is up for the Palme d'Or prize at the Cannes film festival.
Miller, who co-directed the 24m film with Robert Rodriguez, deflected criticism that violent films might contribute to a more violent society.

He said the bloodshed and brutality in the film noir, which is based on his graphic novels, are very "stylised".

Bruce Willis, Clive Owen and Jessica Alba star in the film.

Sin City, which is almost entirely in black and white, is one of 21 films in contention for the prestigious Palme d'Or prize.

"Violence is a real catchy buzzword these days," Miller told a press conference.

"Considering most drama since The Iliad and before is extremely violent - because that's how people work problems out - it's a bit ridiculous.

"I don't believe in the "monkey see, monkey do" theory of entertainment.

"The Japanese have the most violent fiction and movies in the world and they have among the lowest crime rate."

Scenes in the ultra-violent movie include a man's arm being shot off, women's heads mounted on plaques hanging on the wall and a severed head being put on a table.

British actor Owen plays a former-photographer and is one of the film's only "good" characters.

Mickey Rourke plays a street-fighter out to avenge a woman's death while Bruce Willis - who was not at the festival - plays a policeman who is jailed for a crime he did not commit.

Owen said: "Getting involved with this project was a huge deal for me. When I first saw the finished film I was completely blown away."

Rodriguez, who wore his trademark cowboy hat, said he was pleased to be in Cannes, the "home" of film noir.

He added work had already started on a sequel to Sin City, and would feature many of the same characters.

He added that the next film would be based on Miller's book, A Dame to Kill For.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.