Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"No animals were harmed during the making of this film...", NOT!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This past week , on 2 seperate occasions, two horses have died during the filming of the movie "Flicka", a remake of "My Friend Flicka".

Filming was monitored by the American Humane Association.

So, how will the credits read? Usually it has the American Humane Association's logo and says "No animals were harmed during the production of this movie"...

I'm not thinking it'll say "Two horses were killed during the production of this movie."
Old 04-28-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to their website:
http://www.americanhumane.org/site/P...a_film_ratings

Monitored Unacceptable
The production filmed an at-risk segment unauthorized by American Humane, resulting in injury or death of an animal.
But that would only be used if the filmmakers did something cruel or dangerous with the animals. If the animals just died of natual causes, then they'd probably just just use the "No Animals Harmed in the Making of this Movie".

It's pretty cool reading their reasons for movies they've declared Unacceptable in the past, if you're morbid like that.

Apocalypse Now was filmed in the Philippines in 1979. According to AHA’s research, a water buffalo was hacked to pieces during the making of the film, earning the film an Unacceptable rating from AHA.

Last edited by Joe Molotov; 04-28-05 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-28-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The animals on Flicka didn't die of natural causes...One of them got overly excited and tripped over it's leash, breaking it's neck. The other one, I'm not sure how it died, but i'm almost positive that it too wasn't natural.
Old 04-28-05, 05:20 PM
Retired

Old 04-28-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, that was probably how the second one died.
Old 04-28-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are so people so damned concerned with the safety of animals on film sets? I read somewhere that, in The Shawshank Redemption, the part where the maggot is eaten isn't real because that would've violated some stupid code. This a maggot we're talking about. A MAGGOT.
Old 04-28-05, 05:35 PM
Retired

Animals don't voluntarily choose to be in movies. They are being made to do it, so the least we can do is ensure they aren't harmed.
Old 04-28-05, 05:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by natevines
Why are so people so damned concerned with the safety of animals on film sets? I read somewhere that, in The Shawshank Redemption, the part where the maggot is eaten isn't real because that would've violated some stupid code. This a maggot we're talking about. A MAGGOT.
you mean the code of "i don't want to eat a live maggot, can we mock up a fake one please"? is that the code you're referring to?
Old 04-28-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Animals don't voluntarily choose to be in movies. They are being made to do it, so the least we can do is ensure they aren't harmed.
Do you think the Flicka people were not trying to not harm the animals? Shit happens.
Old 04-28-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
you mean the code of "i don't want to eat a live maggot, can we mock up a fake one please"? is that the code you're referring to?
Doesn't he feed the maggot to a bird? I doubt the bird voiced such a demand...
Old 04-28-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd like to see a disclaimer like "Many animals were harmed during the making of this movie. Most of them were delicious."
Old 04-28-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"No animals were char-broiled...they were all cooked using propane and propane accessories. Especially the ones that were still alive".
Old 04-28-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get pretty pissed when I see animals harmed in movies. Movies like Andrei Rublev where its considered "art" makes me sick.
Old 04-28-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Seantn
The animals on Flicka didn't die of natural causes...One of them got overly excited and tripped over it's leash, breaking it's neck. The other one, I'm not sure how it died, but i'm almost positive that it too wasn't natural.
From the AHA Web site:
On Monday, April 11, 2005, a horse appearing in a low-risk scene in the film Flicka was cantering in a circle with a rider on its back. It appeared the horse took a misstep resulting in a compound fracture to one of its hind legs. The horse never fell and did not step into a hole. The horse was well trained and rehearsed for the scene.

Immediately after breaking its leg, the horse was led by the trainer to the trailer where the attending veterinarian administered medical care. It was then determined by the attending veterinarian that euthanasia was the most humane treatment for this inoperable injury. The veterinarian reported that this type of injury is rarely seen and is not preventable.

American Humane’s Guidelines for the Safe Use of Animals in Filmed Media require that all horses, including those used in the filming of Flicka, are cleared by the production company’s veterinarian and are certified to be in good health. This was the case with the horse used for this particular scene, and there was no way of predicting or preventing this injury.
Because animals used to get injured or killed all the time during the filming of movies, especially horses, because it was easier to use things like trip wires to cause horses to fall, rather than use trained animals. Several shots in "House of Flying Daggers" were edited out of the film for release in the UK, because trip wires were used.

Most people don't enjoy seeing animals killed unecessarily for their entertainment.
Old 04-28-05, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
pretty sure kvrdave is behind this somehow, someway

Old 04-28-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lars Von Trier's new film Manderlay had a donkey killed for one scene. John C. Reily quit the movie over that.
Old 04-28-05, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Lars Von Trier's new film Manderlay had a donkey killed for one scene. John C. Reily quit the movie over that.
just wanted to add that ultimately, Von trier decided to cut the scene.
Old 04-28-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Most people don't enjoy seeing animals killed unecessarily for their entertainment.
Killed, no. But harmed/injured slightly? Yes, if it makes for a great scene. You mention the trips for the horses. I doubt any of them died. Limitations like this probably help filmmakers to be less hesitant in using CGI, and that bothers me.
Trip wires are one thing, Cannibal Holocaust is another (though I love the film )
Old 04-28-05, 08:27 PM

Killed, no. But harmed/injured slightly? Yes, if it makes for a great scene. You mention the trips for the horses. I doubt any of them died. Limitations like this probably help filmmakers to be less hesitant in using CGI, and that bothers me.
Trip wires are one thing, Cannibal Holocaust is another (though I love the film )
not trying to insult your intelligence or powers of perception, but often times, what appears to be a real animal sustaining an injury was a faked effect. for example, the horses that rode into a wall of spears in Braveheart were life-size models and nearly indistinguishable from the real thing. and with regard to cgi, i think it's advanced enough that the horses collapsing on the battlefield in ROTK were convincing enough. harming or putting at risk a live animal is unnecessary, especially in this day and age.
Old 04-28-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Several shots in "House of Flying Daggers" were edited out of the film for release in the UK, because trip wires were used.
Does anyone know if horses were hurt/killed during the making of House of FLying Daggers? I saw the movie last week and some of the horse stunts looked really violent.
Old 04-28-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Killed, no. But harmed/injured slightly? Yes, if it makes for a great scene. You mention the trips for the horses.
Also, it's okay if the neighborhood kids torture your cat a little if it entertains them.
Old 04-28-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Well, that depends. If you can make a funny "owned" .gif out of it then it's okay
Precisely. You guys catch on fast.
Old 04-28-05, 09:21 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by movielib
Do you think the Flicka people were not trying to not harm the animals? Shit happens.
I was just replying to the poster asking why we should be so concerned about the safety of animals on movie sets, not anything to do with the Flicka incident.
Old 04-28-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I was just replying to the poster asking why we should be so concerned about the safety of animals on movie sets, not anything to do with the Flicka incident.
I'd have known that if you had quoted the post you were replying to. Otherwise one doesn't know that's what you are doing for sure even if your post is immediately following. Your post reads very differently in the two different contexts.

Sorry I misunderstood.
Old 04-28-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
Here's a little trivia for you: the maggots used in most movies are actually wax worms, which not only tend to be clean and don't stink (as long as they're healthy), but they have a sweet taste. I have a friend who has eaten them, so I'm going by his description of the taste.

If you watch the featurette on Spawn, they talk about putting wax worms on the pizza the clown has to eat.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.