Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

More movies like Texas Chainsaw, Toolbox Murders, House 1000 Corpses, etc.???

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

More movies like Texas Chainsaw, Toolbox Murders, House 1000 Corpses, etc.???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love "Cabin Fever". A great mix of gore and comedy. Not too scary, but definitely one of my favorites.
Old 04-27-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I'm a big horror fan (you can probably tell from my DVD list). If I'm reading you correctly, you not asking for a list of the greatest horror movies. You're asking for recommendations of movies in the style of TCM and HoaTC -- those mid 70s-mid 80s movies (or more recent films in that style) that were more low-budget, extreme, raw, and generally lacking pretty WB actors and self-referential humor. Here's a list (with some repeats with what others have said):

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) -- it wasn't clear if you saw this or the remake. If you only saw the remake, this should be a must-see.

John Carpenter movies: Halloween, The Fog, Assault on Precinct 13, The Thing -- JC had a great string of horror/suspense in the 70s-80s that truly earned him his reputation as a master of horror.

Wes Craven movies: Last House on the Left, The Hills Have Eyes, A Nightmare on Elm Street -- The first 2 are landmark films in 70s horror/exploitation. You really should revisit the first Nightmare movie. I think you'll be surprised at how stark, scary, and no-nonsense it is (especially when compared to the sequels).

George Romero movies: The Living Dead trilogy, The Crazies, Martin -- Your membership in the ranks of horror fans is withheld until you've at least seen the first 2 dead movies.

David Cronenberg movies: Shivers, Rabid, The Brood, Scanners, Videodrome -- another horror great starting in the 70s. Has probably maintained his filmmaking skill and integrity to this day the most out of the talented class of 70s horror filmmakers.

Abel Ferrera moves: The Driller Killer, Ms. 45 -- Ms. 45 especially is a great, but largely forgotten revenge horror/thriller. Ferrera made a nice comeback in the 90s (albeit not all with horror) with movies like King of New York and Bad Lieutenant.

Bob Clarke movies: Black Christmas, Death Dream -- Known now for A Christmas Story and Porky's, Clarke made a couple of great low-budget shockers in the 70s.

Evil Dead -- like others here noted, the sequels get silly. But the original plays as a gritty, intense, and really scary shocker.

Henry: Portait of a Serial Killer -- you should definately see this one.

Maniac (1980) -- If you like Henry, you'll probably like (well, like really isn't the word -- appreciate maybe) this one. Very nasty, intense.

Cannibal Holocaust -- You want dark and disturbing? Actually, this is a much better quality movie than usually given credit for. Very realistically directed and acted (arguably too realistic, since the horrible scenes of animal mutilation and torture are all real). Far superior to other films in the Italian cannibal genre, and features the Blair Witch Project story structure (the movie is "supposedly" a film reel found from a lost jungle expedition).

Basket Case -- maybe a little "silly" for what you're looking for, but it's definately a cult-classic in the 70s horror/exploitation style.

Bloodsucking Freaks -- by no means "good", but a very controversial and nasty 70s horror that most of us into that kind of thing eventually seek out to see what all the fuss was about. Would be unwatchable if it weren't so cheap -- the kind of movie you need a shower afterwards to wash away the feeling of filth.

I Spit on your Grave -- what applies to Bloodsucking Freaks goes here too. Not a good movie (though it features one of the longest and most disturbing rape scenes of all-time). But a list of the most disturbing movies of all time is not complete without this one.

Witchfinder General (aka The Conquerer Worm) -- don't be fooled thinking that any Vincent Price movie is hammy/campy. This still packs a whallop, and IMO this is far superior to the other witch-torture movie Mark of the Devil.

In A Glass Cage -- A Spanish art-house horror that deserves a place near the top of any all-time disturbing movie list. What makes this so bad (or good, depending on your perspective) compared to other horror movies is that it's so well done in every aspect.

Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom -- I've made it a point to seek out what others tell me are the most disturbing and horrifying movies ever made. This is, hands down, #1. It remains the only movie that I'm unable to watch stretches of it without getting physically ill. Like In A Glass Cage, what makes this so bad is that it's so well done. The effects are all utterly realistic and the director was one of Italy's most talented filmmakers.

Some more recent movies that fit into this type of horror:
28 Days Later
Jeepers Creepers
Candyman
Hellraiser/Hellbound
Haute Tension (beware the cut version, though)
Frailty
Audition
Session 9
The Nameless (terrific Spanish horror that's just getting a US DVD release)
The Hitcher (see it before the likely-to-be-crappy remake)
The Vanishing (Dutch version only -- one of the most chilling endings of any movie)
Seven
Silence of the Lambs
Irreversible
Cabin Fever
Saw

Well, that should get you started I'm sure I've overlooked some. Anyway, this is trying to give you a list of the more "disturbing" and "raw" horror movies, like TCM and HoaTC. There are lots of good horror movies besides this type.
Old 04-27-05, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget "Tourist Trap " with Chuck Connors.
A great little eerie film.
Old 04-27-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by thelwig14
Yeah, that was definitely one of the ones where I thought "this guy must think I am some sort of tool." I have always heard that was unwatchable.
You're right - House of the Dead is unwatchable - and the Resident Evil movies aren't very good either - certainly not something I'd advise as a good horror film.

brainee's post is filled with excellent horror movies, I would start there first and add only:

Dog Soldiers: Werewolves vs. British soldiers in Night of the Living Dead with bloody big dogs.

Halloween H20: 20 Years Later: Not bad at all update on the Halloween series. Short and to the point, but watch the original first.

Joy Ride: Fantastic thriller - Everyone loves crazy truckers (except the people getting chased by them) - gets pretty nasty at the end, you'll probably enjoy it.

Ravenous: Gory & black (black, black) comedy about cannibalism in the Civil War era. Woefully underwatched.

Return of the Living Dead:
Kinda silly and mostly played for laughs - watch this when you're done with Romero's trilogy if you're still interested in zombies. And have an affection for the 80's.

Shaun of the Dead Watch every zombie movie ever made, then watch Shaun of the Dead. Proceed to laugh your arse off.
Old 04-27-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
I'm a big horror fan (you can probably tell from my DVD list). If I'm reading you correctly, you not asking for a list of the greatest horror movies. You're asking for recommendations of movies in the style of TCM and HoaTC -- those mid 70s-mid 80s movies (or more recent films in that style) that were more low-budget, extreme, raw, and generally lacking pretty WB actors and self-referential humor. Here's a list (with some repeats with what others have said):

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) -- it wasn't clear if you saw this or the remake. If you only saw the remake, this should be a must-see.

John Carpenter movies: Halloween, The Fog, Assault on Precinct 13, The Thing -- JC had a great string of horror/suspense in the 70s-80s that truly earned him his reputation as a master of horror.

Wes Craven movies: Last House on the Left, The Hills Have Eyes, A Nightmare on Elm Street -- The first 2 are landmark films in 70s horror/exploitation. You really should revisit the first Nightmare movie. I think you'll be surprised at how stark, scary, and no-nonsense it is (especially when compared to the sequels).

George Romero movies: The Living Dead trilogy, The Crazies, Martin -- Your membership in the ranks of horror fans is withheld until you've at least seen the first 2 dead movies.

David Cronenberg movies: Shivers, Rabid, The Brood, Scanners, Videodrome -- another horror great starting in the 70s. Has probably maintained his filmmaking skill and integrity to this day the most out of the talented class of 70s horror filmmakers.

Abel Ferrera moves: The Driller Killer, Ms. 45 -- Ms. 45 especially is a great, but largely forgotten revenge horror/thriller. Ferrera made a nice comeback in the 90s (albeit not all with horror) with movies like King of New York and Bad Lieutenant.

Bob Clarke movies: Black Christmas, Death Dream -- Known now for A Christmas Story and Porky's, Clarke made a couple of great low-budget shockers in the 70s.

Evil Dead -- like others here noted, the sequels get silly. But the original plays as a gritty, intense, and really scary shocker.

Henry: Portait of a Serial Killer -- you should definately see this one.

Maniac (1980) -- If you like Henry, you'll probably like (well, like really isn't the word -- appreciate maybe) this one. Very nasty, intense.

Cannibal Holocaust -- You want dark and disturbing? Actually, this is a much better quality movie than usually given credit for. Very realistically directed and acted (arguably too realistic, since the horrible scenes of animal mutilation and torture are all real). Far superior to other films in the Italian cannibal genre, and features the Blair Witch Project story structure (the movie is "supposedly" a film reel found from a lost jungle expedition).

Basket Case -- maybe a little "silly" for what you're looking for, but it's definately a cult-classic in the 70s horror/exploitation style.

Bloodsucking Freaks -- by no means "good", but a very controversial and nasty 70s horror that most of us into that kind of thing eventually seek out to see what all the fuss was about. Would be unwatchable if it weren't so cheap -- the kind of movie you need a shower afterwards to wash away the feeling of filth.

I Spit on your Grave -- what applies to Bloodsucking Freaks goes here too. Not a good movie (though it features one of the longest and most disturbing rape scenes of all-time). But a list of the most disturbing movies of all time is not complete without this one.

Witchfinder General (aka The Conquerer Worm) -- don't be fooled thinking that any Vincent Price movie is hammy/campy. This still packs a whallop, and IMO this is far superior to the other witch-torture movie Mark of the Devil.

In A Glass Cage -- A Spanish art-house horror that deserves a place near the top of any all-time disturbing movie list. What makes this so bad (or good, depending on your perspective) compared to other horror movies is that it's so well done in every aspect.

Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom -- I've made it a point to seek out what others tell me are the most disturbing and horrifying movies ever made. This is, hands down, #1. It remains the only movie that I'm unable to watch stretches of it without getting physically ill. Like In A Glass Cage, what makes this so bad is that it's so well done. The effects are all utterly realistic and the director was one of Italy's most talented filmmakers.

Some more recent movies that fit into this type of horror:
28 Days Later
Jeepers Creepers
Candyman
Hellraiser/Hellbound
Haute Tension (beware the cut version, though)
Frailty
Audition
Session 9
The Nameless (terrific Spanish horror that's just getting a US DVD release)
The Hitcher (see it before the likely-to-be-crappy remake)
The Vanishing (Dutch version only -- one of the most chilling endings of any movie)
Seven
Silence of the Lambs
Irreversible
Cabin Fever
Saw

Well, that should get you started I'm sure I've overlooked some. Anyway, this is trying to give you a list of the more "disturbing" and "raw" horror movies, like TCM and HoaTC. There are lots of good horror movies besides this type.
You definitely understand the route I am going. I truly appreciate you taking the time to give a broad list and I will definitely start checking these out. I think I am going to go Henry first and work my way through the list. Thanks and take care!
Old 04-27-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Hello,
I enjoy more of the disturbing side of horror movies
You're a good person and follow the reccomendations already mentioned in this thread and you'll be fine.

What the hell is wrong with me.
Old 04-27-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I guess I have a hard time putting it into words without sounding like a freak. I guess it is because I really do not "jump" or get scared when I watch horror movies, but I definitely get disturbed (ie the family around the table in TCM; guy eating his tongue in Seven, nightvision in SOTL, etc.). So, those are the kind of horror movies I prefer.
Old 04-28-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Zombie67
Don't forget "Tourist Trap " with Chuck Connors.
A great little eerie film.

Definitely! Very similar feel and look to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

A few more that fit the mold your looking for:

Magic
Motel Hell
Pieces
Event Horizon
Old 04-28-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the changling, i didn't see mentioned. very good ghost/haunted house film.
Old 04-28-05, 02:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Hello,
I ashamed to say I am now just starting to seriously delve into the horror/thriller genre. I now need some help in finding the good ones. I enjoy more of the disturbing side of horror movies (as stated in the title) and would appreciate any help in that direction. I really do not care for the Freddy/Jason type of cartoonish horror. Any recs are appreciated. Thanks and take care!
you know thelwig14 is kind of asking for disturbing horror movies, some of you are recommending some off the wall ones that I wouldn't lump in with TCM, Toolbox Murders, 1,000 Corpses... just a thought.

rent The Prowler there are some kickass Tom Savini makeup special effects.
Old 04-28-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Check out Maniac as well...........it's pretty fucked up.
Old 04-28-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Evil Dead Trap (at least until the last 20 minutes of the movie). STEW-PID.
Old 04-29-05, 08:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
talking about SFX master Tom Savini, I just rented an import DVD edition of The Burning and I have to say I am quite pleased to have finally seen this film uncensored - the 'raft massacre' scene was intense, bloody and savage. I have no idea why MGM is not releasing this on DVD, when there is a number of fans who would like to see this in it's original bloody unrated glory.
Old 04-29-05, 03:25 PM

Location: Chicago...NOT my kind of town, I hate urban living, but have no choice
Dont know if its been mentioned, but "Wrong Turn" is a great throwback to the 70s stuff, except that you get good acting & directing along with some gruesome awesome kills... cannibal hillbillys disturb me..especially since I spent time in the backwoods of West Virginia when I was a pre teen......

*shakes off unpleasant childhood memory....