Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone still interested in "Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children"?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I had totally forgotten about this film until it popped into my head earlier this morning. I have a friend who is irritatingly hyped about this film (every time we're at the comp centre of our university he keeps playing back the trailer over and over) and since I haven't seen him much this semester I pretty much forgot this film existed.

Anyhoo, a brief search has turned up nothing more than that some 24 minute version (basically an overlong trailer) was premiered at some film festival:

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/dvd/ff7ac/ <----- just realized this site has two new trailers
http://imdb.com/title/tt0385700/

What's the deal with this film? "Final Fantasy VII" was a fun game (though nowhere near as great as its most ardent fans claim) and, given its popularity, a film based directly on it was a no-brainer (which makes me wonder why that wasn't done already when they made Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within). But when this film was first announced it seemed as if it went into production far too late but understandable given how time consuming animation can be. But now they seem to really be dragging their heels. There isn't even much of a marketing push for it.

What gives? Are we ever really going to see this?

EDIT: Anybody have any idea how to save the trailers from that site. I tried viewing the source of the trailer page but the site is in Flash so that was a dead end.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-19-05 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-19-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wasn't this PSP only?
Old 04-19-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No. It's supposed to be a DVD release but there will also be a UMD version for PSP. Unless things have changed which I hope they have not. I'm not buying a PSP just to watch this (or any) movie.
Old 04-19-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I thought Advent Children was a new game they had coming out.
Shows how much i know...

Last edited by Maxflier; 04-19-05 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-19-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't feel too bad. It was rumoured as such because everyone heard it'd be on PSP. It was later revealed that it'd be released both on DVD and UMD. Hence why it was often listed as a new PSP release.
Old 04-19-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read an interview with the character designer yesterday.

Q: Any chance that other characters from Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts will make it to feature films from Disney?

Nomura: Actually, I'm not sure when it comes to movies, but we do have Advent Children as a movie, although I believe it's presently more of a visual software than a movie.
Old 04-19-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I believe he was being figurative there, Pixy. Although it worries me that it can easily be interpreted as "it is an overlong cutscene".
Old 04-19-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I believe he was being figurative there, Pixy. Although it worries me that it can easily be interpreted as "it is an overlong cutscene".
I took it that he meant it was more of a demonstration as to what they can do visually as opposed to an actual movie; it would mirror the way the games have become perfectly. The trailers really make it out to be overtly heavy on style and flash to boot. Then again, it could've been a bad translation of the interview. I'll check it out partially to see if the visuals are all they're cracked up to be and partially to have seen it so I can make fun of the people that will no doubt over-analyze every single frame of the movie.
Old 04-19-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well then you'll have fun mocking that friend of mine I mentioned. I think this'll just be 90 minutes of disposable eye candy but he seems to greet it as the second coming. But I doubt the visuals will be jaw droppingly fantastic. If they were to put that kind of effort into it, you'd think they'd at least give it a thatrical release in Japan. This is more like big budget straigh-to-video fare.
Old 04-19-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dont care for artstyle myself its like Japanese anime in wackied out GG. Cloud and Barret from one look like B movie material. But to each there own, seems just like another Spirits to me.
Old 04-19-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Square-Enix fans are quite creepy. One of my favorite games in the last few years is Kingdom Hearts (which at the time of this post, is indicated in both my location and signature). Well, there's this hidden video at the end of the game that clocks in at about one minute; and an updated version that goes on for three minutes in the second Japanese release. The video is a teaser or concept video of a possible sequel. There are entire sites out there dedicated to theories and analysis of this video. People have written several-page-long articles trying to decipher a three-minute trailer. It's really, really scary.
Old 04-19-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, PixyJunket. I too love Kingdom Hearts and am eagerly anticipating the sequel (when is it due, BTW?). I've also shared your experience with the video. I remember looking into it just to get an idea of where the sequel was headed to find long winded analysis just as you've mentioned.

It also boggles the mind when people like my friend get pissed off at me because I don't worship Sephiroth. They all tell me he's the greatest character ever but, when I ask them what makes him so great, all I get is these gushing descriptions of how powerful he is. That to me doesn't make a character. Anyone can make up a super powered freak that doesn't make him cool. I like FFVII but the characters are two dimensional at best. Yet, just take a look at the boards relating to any popular game in http://www.gamefaqs.com and it rarely fails that a Square-Enix fanboy will start comparing any random character to either characters from FFVII or FVIII (the worst in the series IMO).

That said, though this film is not on my must-see list (afterall, I did forget about it until now), I'm still curious to see it given all the hype. I may be in the minority here but I thought Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was a decent picture. It didn't really tread any new ground but its story was no worse than the last few FF games. Problem is, back then every FF fan I knew was pissed that it wasn't Final Fantasy VII: The Movie. Now they're getting just that and, from what I can guess, it might actually be a fun (though ultimately forgetable) actioner that will most likely be more shallow than Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within but will be hailed above it as if it were videogamedom's Solaris (either version).

Basically, it's a morbid facination on my part.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-19-05 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-19-05, 05:06 PM

dont mean to be nasty, but i dont think anybody ever WAS interested in "Advent Children". It seemed like a game to me, first time i heard it. The general public will also think its another tired Final Fantasy game and ignore it
Old 04-19-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Except, I believe they would be mostly right in dismissing it. This was originally supposed to be an hour long feature and then it was extended to a 90 minute feature. The problem is all the trailers show is action-action-action with the ocasional music videoish lingering shot on Cloud that then puts into question all the loose plotlines that are intended to be resolved with this film. Heck, apparently we're even getting a section dedicated to flashbacks about Sephiroth and um.... that chick that he killed (forgot her name).... she has a cameo in Kingdom Hearts. Mandy Moore provided the voice.

ANyhoo, this all seems too bloated for a mere 90 minutes. Perhaps they would have been better off making it a game afterall.
Old 04-19-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd be interested in this just to admire the wonderful computer animation. I am completely unfamiliar with the games, but Spirits Within was stunning to look at. My jaw physically dropped in places!
Old 04-19-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well The Spirits Within was made by a totally different animation studio than the one creating Advent Children. That said, I preffer the rendering of the former but also preffer what I've seen of the animation of the latter.

The biggest weakness of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was the character animations. They sort of bobbed in a funny way. It wasn't extreme but enough to be mildly distracting. The characters in Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children don't seem to bob when they move. But they don't seem to have anything close to the gorgeous facial animation of Dr. Sid in Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and the characters and environments seem a tad less detailed (even taking into consideration the stylized look of Advent Children). So it's a mixed bag.

Still, as I've said before (much like a broken record), it should prove to be mildly entertaining. Better than most direct-to-video fare, anyway.
Old 04-19-05, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SinCity
dont mean to be nasty, but i dont think anybody ever WAS interested in "Advent Children". It seemed like a game to me, first time i heard it. The general public will also think its another tired Final Fantasy game and ignore it
I disagree, i think a lot of people were/are interested in Advent Children. You can do a search on the Video Game forum and there was talk about it when pictures and shots first leaked out, granted most of it was hope for a FF7 sequel. Also, i'd say the general public loves Final Fantasy games and would be interested, rather then ignoring it based on the FF name.
Old 04-19-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, but the big mass appeal isn't there thanks to the tepid reception toward The Spirits Within. There's a good size audience for this film but there doesn't seem to be a huge audience. Otherwise this would get a theatrical release somewhere. They're not even releasing it theatrically in Japan (that worries me) and they've done little to market the film. All we've got is a website than only gamers know about.
Old 04-20-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm interested in it, and have been, but keep forgetting it because so much time passes without anything surfacing. They keep this going, and people are going to flat out lose interest altogether. ;\
Old 04-20-05, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I'm mildly interested. If it ever comes out, I'll rent it.
Old 04-20-05, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well the third and fourth trailers have renwed my interest in this movie. I'm still not 100% sold but will keep an eye out for it. But, as justbarelymovin mentioned, "so much time passes without anything surfacing". It's hard to stay interested. You'd think Square-Enix would push this harder.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-20-05 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-20-05, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Found this: http://www.daeya.org/ff7ac/report_intro.php
Looks like a hell of a lot for just 70 to 80 minutes - and this was the 24 minute version.
The story doesn't seem all that groundbreaking, though (no surprise there). Still, it seems watchable.
Old 04-20-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 910 Likes on 672 Posts
I think the biggest problem people had with The Spirits Within (myself included) was that it really didn't tie in with any of the things that the name Final Fantasy is known for (the only one I can think of off the top of my head was having a character named Sid). I think if it had been released with a different name, it would have been accepted much better.

I am looking forward to FF:AC by the way.
Old 04-20-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
Yes, but the big mass appeal isn't there thanks to the tepid reception toward The Spirits Within. There's a good size audience for this film but there doesn't seem to be a huge audience. Otherwise this would get a theatrical release somewhere. They're not even releasing it theatrically in Japan (that worries me) and they've done little to market the film. All we've got is a website than only gamers know about.
I don't know, i think there's enough separation between the film and the games for most fans to make a distincition and keep interest. You're right that the lack of a bigger release and press regarding this is somewhat alarming, but the fact that this "film" is a direct relation to arguably the most popular FF game versus a film that had very little to do with anything from the games as another member mentioned changes things a bit.

I agree, there isn't a massive audience or anything for this, but i'd venture most Final Fantasy fans are somewhat interested. Probably not enough to garner interest from casual gamers or the general public however.