Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Uh oh. McFarlane releasing Napoleon Dynamite toys (merged)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Uh oh. McFarlane releasing Napoleon Dynamite toys (merged)

Old 04-17-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uh oh. McFarlane releasing Napoleon Dynamite toys

http://spawn.com/news/news2.aspx?id=12577

McFarlane Toys and Fox Licensing & Merchandising proudly announce a new licensing agreement bringing a "sweet" line of action figures based on characters from the hit cult-flick Napoleon Dynamite.

The "hilarious" (NY Post) and "wonderfully original" (People) comedy that has had dynamite theatrical staying power, incredible word of mouth and a distinct look and feel is now being represented with a brand-new line of Napoleon Dynamite figures.

The line will feature an assortment of figures including the film's quirky anti-hero Napoleon Dynamite, his mustachioed sidekick Pedro Sanchez and chatroom-junkie brother Kip.

"This is the new generation's cult classic film; fans will be repeating the lines over and over just like my generation did with three or four movies when I was 13," said McFarlane Toys founder Todd McFarlane. "My goal is to showcase the main characters of the movie and reward the fans with some of the more memorable and unforgettable scenes in action figure form."

"Napoleon Dynamite and action figure may seem like an oxymoron, but McFarlane Toys has the appreciation and understanding of this character and the film to create some truly fun and highly appealing toys," said Peter Byrne, Executive Vice President, Licensing, Twentieth Century Fox Licensing & Merchandising. "There is a huge pent up demand for merchandise for 'Napoleon Dynamite' and a McFarlane action figure will be a 'must have' for all fans."

The new line of Napoleon Dynamite from McFarlane Toys will be hitting shelves in fall 2005.

Napoleon Dynamite is a new kind of hero, complete with a tight 'fro, sweet moon boots and skills that can't be topped. Napoleon spends his days drawing mythical beasts, duking it out with his brother Kip and avoiding his scheming Uncle Rico. When two new friends enter Napoleon's life -- shy Deb and mustachioed Pedro -- the trio launches a campaign to elect Pedro for class president and make the student body's wildest dreams come true. But if Pedro is to beat stuck-up Summer, Napoleon will have to unleash his secret weapon...

A runaway comedy hit at the Sundance Film Festival and named Best Feature Film at the U.S. Comedy Arts Festival, Napoleon Dynamite marks the feature film debut of an original new voice, director Jared Hess, who himself grew up in Preston, Idaho, and left his studies at Brigham Young University to make the film. Napoleon Dynamite is written by Jared and his wife, Jerusha Hess, and produced by Jeremy Coon, Chris Wyatt and Sean C. Covel. The comic cast includes Jon Heder, Jon Gries, Aaron Ruell, Efren Ramirez, Tina Majorino, Diedrich Bader and Haylie Duff.

I can almost hear an annoying high school student shamelessly quoting the film.
Old 04-17-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I won't be getting any. I thought American Pie was funny but I'm not clamoring for a Stifler figure.
Old 04-17-05, 07:45 PM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts
Oh great... now all we need is for someone to photo-chop ND's head onto the Dorothy (from OZ) body with Pedro's head on the Munchkin that is toturing her backside with cigarette butts.
Old 04-17-05, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
I could see picking up a Tina (and that would be the only one), but I doubt they'd make one...
Old 04-17-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No Kung-Fu grip=No sale!
Old 04-17-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i'd buy it...if their sweet

hope we get a liger....and a box set with wedding party Napoleon on a horse
Old 04-17-05, 11:03 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy, for a small flick that turned into a fluke hit, they are sure milking the shit out of this movie - yet no talk of a sequel?

I shudder at the thought...
Old 04-17-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the fans have demaned it....t-shirts were selling out everywhere before Xmas...and dvd's are still selling well
Old 04-17-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't get the appeal of this film and found it uninteresting and unfunny save for a few brief amusing moments.

I am scared to think just who showed up for the 5 week midnight run they did last month at the Uptown theater. They have regular saturday night midnight showings. But for Napolean,they had a 'special' 5 week Friday midnight run!

I can maybe see catching a cool cult flick once for a midnight showing. But 5 straight weeks in a row? scary!
Old 04-17-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DarthVong
No Kung-Fu grip=No sale!
No Kung-Fu grip, but I hear it's pretty good with a bowstaff.
Old 04-18-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

to bad it's McFarlane...no super poseability....that means no recreation of the dance scene on robot chicken...
Old 04-18-05, 10:44 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker

I am scared to think just who showed up for the 5 week midnight run they did last month at the Uptown theater. They have regular saturday night midnight showings. But for Napolean,they had a 'special' 5 week Friday midnight run!
OT: Actually, DYNAMITE was at the Lagoon.

And the crowds that show up for midnight shows are the worst. Think drunk teens/hipster Uptown crowds who spend the ENTIRE film making sure they appear better than the movie being presented.

AND they want 8 bucks to see the old, beat up, shitty prints they book.
Old 04-18-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah I noticed the annoying hipsters at the midnight showings.

The worst was Repo Man,where durring the entire film. Quite a few people had to make it obvious they 'got' the joke,and kept laughing fake louder laughter through out. It was so irritating,you could see them tense up about to emote laughter at a joke they know is coming and then you see and hear them toss their head back and say "HA HA HA HA HA" not laughing,but basically speaking the laughter as in 'ha ha ha ha'.

Meanwhile when I honestly laughed at the "...and no christians either!" line,the audience was silent expect for myself! Hey it was a genuinely funny line,but I guess they didn't 'get it'

The second worst was standing in line for 30 minutes in 0 degree weather and I had to overhear all their conversations. It was mostly pretentious garbage of "OH yeah,I would like never hang out with anyone not from Uptown," "We are the greatest people ever,haha..so hip,unlike those other losers!"...along with other rambling superficial bull.
Old 04-18-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure your the only one who gets it...
Old 04-18-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I see these things selling like tater tots! Those toy makers will be making sweeter moolah than Kip and Uncle Rico combined!
Old 04-18-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

do they have talons
Old 04-19-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I might buy an Uncle Rico figure.
Old 04-20-05, 01:07 PM
Suspended

Hot Topic. For some reason I hate this film now .... must be all the GD teeny-boppers and their extremely delayed amazement and nut-huggery of it. It's a lil late to be quoting ND, imo.
Old 04-20-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 898 Likes on 663 Posts
The Uncle Rico figure better come with a van and a football...
Old 04-21-05, 02:05 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Went to Hot Topic today to get my Invader Zim boxset... Napoleon is everywhere!
I can get a Napoleon shirt (in 20 different styles for men, 25 for women), a few purses, awesome wristband, fuzzy dice, magnets, stickers, tattoos, thongs (I kid you not, a LIGER thong!)....WOW!
Old 04-21-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I think I'll build a Max Fischer custom figure.

(Just to kick Napoleon's ass.)
Old 04-21-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Went to Hot Topic today to get my Invader Zim boxset... Napoleon is everywhere!
I can get a Napoleon shirt (in 20 different styles for men, 25 for women), a few purses, awesome wristband, fuzzy dice, magnets, stickers, tattoos, thongs (I kid you not, a LIGER thong!)....WOW!
That film has become the official movie of tools everywhere.
Old 04-21-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Hot topic gets its hands on anything that a sub culture can grab a hold of and then abuse it via a mainstream method.

As for it being "Hip" or a Cult classic. Eh, It's like an indie band before it hit the mainstream radio. Once there everyone loves to bitch about how they were on the ground floor of it and how everyone who likes it now are posers.
Old 04-21-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
As for it being "Hip" or a Cult classic. Eh, It's like an indie band before it hit the mainstream radio. Once there everyone loves to bitch about how they were on the ground floor of it and how everyone who likes it now are posers.
I saw it opening night. Everyone else here is such a wannabe Napoleon fan.
Old 04-21-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Whatever, whoever saw it after Fox picked up distribution rights is a total poser about it and don't know when it was cool.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.