Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sin City goof question

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sin City goof question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-05, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sin City goof question

I haven't seen this posted (looked briefly)--and when I saw the movie, I noticed, but put it out of my mind, until someone just brought it up...

towards the end of the movie, after Kevin
Spoiler:
is already dead
, doesn't he appear again
Spoiler:
on the porch of the farmhouse?

is this an editing problem or
Spoiler:
is what's left of Kevin propped up like a scarecrow?
Maybe you know...
Old 04-15-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The stories are not in chronological order. There are a few characters we see in the last story that wouldn't be because of events in the first 2 stories.
Old 04-15-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I've only seen it once, but the movie isn't in chronological order. It is kind of like pulp fiction. This could explain it.

But those that have seen it more than I, might have a better explanation.
Old 04-15-05, 12:32 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Yup, not in chronological order.
(you also see
Spoiler:
Carla Gugino
standing next to Willis when he's in front of the parole board or whatever that committee is)
Old 04-15-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Yeah, the way the movie is cut, the stories are out of chronological order.

Kind of like Pulp Fiction, which also starred Bruce Willis. (It's told out of order, or the kid isn't the only one who sees dead people.)
Old 04-15-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I think people get confused since "That Yellow Bastard" is split in two and makes it seem as if it's all in chronological order if you're not really paying attention. Any word on why Robert Rodriguez split that story in two. It seemed like an odd choice to me.
Old 04-15-05, 01:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
I think people get confused since "That Yellow Bastard" is split in two and makes it seem as if it's all in chronological order if you're not really paying attention. Any word on why Robert Rodriguez split that story in two. It seemed like an odd choice to me.

suspense?
Old 04-15-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That doesn't work Giles since most people in the audience when I saw it assumed Willis was dead and were like "what the hell? This still isn't over?"
Old 04-15-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YOU MEAN MARV REALLY SURVIVED THE CHAIR?!??!?! I MEAN HE'S AT THE BAR AND NANCY JUMPS OVER HIM TO GET TO HARITGAN!!!!1111uno

Are folks really this dense that they can't realize that the films segments aren't in specific order? Why is it that everyone notices Kevin on the porch but fair to notice marv at the bar when they do a solo shot of him even?
Old 04-15-05, 01:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
People don't notice Marv because he doesn't have the same "OMG A HOBBIT" vibe as Kevin.
Old 04-15-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's to the frame the movie. Like so: Harnett segment, Hartigan, Marv, Dwight, Hartigan, Harnett. Plus it does take you for a loop. And you find out somethings before Hartigan, so it creates tension within his story. Makes sense to me.
Old 04-15-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess they've never seen films Pulp Fiction and Amores Perros and others that fragment the timeline where their stories take place. I dunno. But that doesn't make them dense. It just means it's not something they're used to.
Old 04-15-05, 01:40 PM

That doesn't work Giles since most people in the audience when I saw it assumed Willis was dead and were like "what the hell? This still isn't over?"
oh jeesh, mainstream audiences drive me crazy, non-linear storytelling - Whoosh! (to hard to comprehend, oh brother ).

Last edited by Giles; 04-15-05 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-15-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Drop: I can understand Hartnett framing the story but what of any of the stories create extra tension in Hartigan's story? All we need to know about Roarke is given to us by Jr.'s "you know who my father is?" speech. The cardinal and all the other corrupt individuals add nothing to Hartigan's story asside from saying he's not the only one dealing with the seedy elements of Basin City.

Don't get me wrong. I like this film. I just don't see any practical necesity to split "That Yellow Bastard".
Old 04-15-05, 01:50 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't get me wrong. I like this film. I just don't see any practical necesity to split "That Yellow Bastard".
Because if you showed
Spoiler:
the ripping out of the yellow bastard's franks and beans
too early, all the other
Spoiler:
crotch shots
would have lost their impact.
Old 04-15-05, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by HN
Because if you showed
Spoiler:
the ripping out of the yellow bastard's franks and beans
too early, all the other
Spoiler:
crotch shots
would have lost their impact.
I would have used the more appropriate word:
Spoiler:
mutilation in the second spoiler, not 'shots'
Old 04-15-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was split into 2 because Nancy grows up. You realize that by the time the Hartigan storyline comes full circle that's he in the same timeline as Marv and Dwight. I don't think it could have worked any other way.
Old 04-15-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But if that was the intent, PopcornTreeCt, they should have either cut off after Powers Boothe shows up (not before) or just leave Hartigan's story for last.

I felt it was obvious that young Nancy and hot Nacy were the same person.
Old 04-15-05, 04:06 PM

I think the main point is this (and most of you missed it since it wasn't stated)--
Spoiler:
why is Kevin just sitting on the porch reading if he's such a super bad-ass serial killer with adamantium finger nails???
That's the question you should answer. And I guess the answer would be that these stories are independent of one another and what we learn in one story doesn't necessarily apply to the other....(or something like that).
Old 04-15-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by f1shf00d
I haven't seen this posted (looked briefly)--and when I saw the movie, I noticed, but put it out of my mind, until someone just brought it up...

towards the end of the movie, after Kevin
Spoiler:
is already dead
, doesn't he appear again
Spoiler:
on the porch of the farmhouse?

is this an editing problem or
Spoiler:
is what's left of Kevin propped up like a scarecrow?
Maybe you know...
"Explain this goof. Toward the end of the movie, after Kevin (...) doesn't he appear again?"

Exhibit A: ineffective use of a spoiler warning. ;)

-JP
Old 04-15-05, 04:18 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by f1shf00d
I think the main point is this (and most of you missed it since it wasn't stated)--
Spoiler:
why is Kevin just sitting on the porch reading if he's such a super bad-ass serial killer with adamantium finger nails???
That's the question you should answer. And I guess the answer would be that these stories are independent of one another and what we learn in one story doesn't necessarily apply to the other....(or something like that).
He was doing bible study at that moment. You can't go into berserker rage during bible study. And Hartigan may or may not have had a lightsaber.

*edit* Oh, I didn't realize you were the OP. We didn't answer this question b/c you posed a different question in the beginning

Last edited by HN; 04-15-05 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-15-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think that Kevin was just sitting there because he didn't start the "cleansing" process yet. Or whatever it was.

And also you should be able to tell that they were not in chronological order, because Jessica Alba and Rosario Dawson had their heads on a wall.
Old 04-15-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What? I don't recall seeing their heads at all. Can someone confirm/deny this?

As for Kevin, he was the Cardinal's golden boy so I figure he was a religious zealot in addition to just being a maniac. He was probably too deep into his Bible reading to notice Hartigan. Besides, Hartigan was no threat to him nor did he attack Kevin's pet wolf. No need for Kevin to get involved.
Old 04-15-05, 05:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
this is just as amazing as John Travolta's Vincent Vega living through the machine gun splattering by Bruce Willis' Butch in "Pulp Fiction" as we see him at the end with Samuel L. (must have been another adrenaline shot)...now that was a feat!
Old 04-15-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait a minute. People actually thought that Vincent Vega lived? I remember reading comments to the effect but I always thought people who said that were being metaphorical.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.