Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie scenes/dialogue that didn't get filmed, but should've--any examples?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-14-05, 02:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not talking about deleted scenes. I mean stuff that was in the planning stage but didn't even get filmed. This might be more difficult to track, since it depends on some inside knowledge.

Before the Steve Martin comedy Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid was released, the American Film Institute's magazine had an article on Martin and the movie. One of the photos of Martin, from Plaid, had a caption with his character's "hardboiled" narration: "I decided to play dumb. It turned out to be easier than I thought." But that line wasn't in the movie.

I read the the paperback novelization of The Pink Panther Strikes Again before I saw the movie. It described a scene where Clouseau, after searching for Cato, to avoid his attack, believes Cato is gone and lays down on his (Clouseau's) bed, a four-poster with a canopy. From the novelization, I believed that the scene would play out this way: Clouseau would close his eyes for a few seconds and then open them, with a startled look. We would then see what Clouseau sees: Cato, spread-eagle, under the canopy, with with his hands and feet supporting him on the posts of the bed. He would then release his hands and feet from the posts and fall, in slow motion, and proceed to attack Clouseau.

But when I saw the movie it wasn't as visual or comic.
Spoiler:
Clouseau laid down on the bed and the camera slowly panned up, to reveal Cato laying on top of the canopy (which was rigid enough to support his weight), using a knife to slice an opening in the canopy. The noise alerts Clouseau, who opens his eyes in time to see Cato come through the slit in the canopy.

Although the Plaid narration could've been recorded, I doubt the Panther bed gag was filmed the same way it came off in the novelization. Anyone have other examples?

ADDITION April 2007: Spaceballs. When the film first played in theaters, HBO had a 'making of' special which featured movie storyboards. In the opening, when we got to the rear of the long spaceship, the original joke was going to be a hand-scrawled WASH ME in the ship's grime.

Last edited by digidoh; 04-21-07 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-14-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tom bombadil?
Old 04-14-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kevin Smith's John Woo shootout for Dogma.
Old 04-14-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess the only one I can think of is Wookies on Endor. Although I have no problem with the ewoks, and even fond of the littler critters, it would have been cool to see the wookies in ROTJ. That's probably the only reason wookies are in ROTS, because fans wanted to see it.
Old 04-14-05, 05:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
eh?Huh? 2
Old 04-14-05, 06:16 PM

a few scenes from sin City, such as Marv going to his mothers for Gladys, more of Hartigan's story and nude Nancy.

Tarrantino's idea for Gogo's twin to appear in Kill bill 2
Spoiler:
after the Bride kills Vernita
to
Spoiler:
avenge her twin's death
Old 04-14-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
The unfilmed third ending for 28 Days Later which I think would have been the best one
Old 04-14-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,239 Likes on 850 Posts
Re: Wookies on Endor/in ROTS because "fans want it"
Then how do explain Jar Jar re-appearing?

Re: Third ending for 28 Days Later
I don't know what the third ending was, but it HAD to be better than the crappy two
on the DVD.
Old 04-14-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,239 Likes on 850 Posts
Re: Wookies on Endor/in ROTS because "fans want it"
Then how do explain Jar Jar re-appearing?

Re: Third ending for 28 Days Later
I don't know what the third ending was, but it HAD to be better than the crappy two on the DVD.
Old 04-15-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
About the whole Wookie thing, I though Lucas had wanted to do Wookies for ROTJ, but it was going to be too expensive/take too much time, so he went small and furry instead of big and furry. Apparently, he can finally do it on ROTS because he's got the money/time.
Old 04-15-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish
About the whole Wookie thing, I though Lucas had wanted to do Wookies for ROTJ, but it was going to be too expensive/take too much time, so he went small and furry instead of big and furry. Apparently, he can finally do it on ROTS because he's got the money/time.
I thought he changed from wookiees to ewoks because he wanted the empire to be beaten by a primitive race. He couldn't use wookiees anymore because he had shown Chewbacca to be pretty technologically adept with him working on the Falcon.
Old 04-15-05, 12:40 AM

I thought he changed from wookiees to ewoks because he wanted the empire to be beaten by a primitive race.
Lucas didn't use wookies for a number of reasons. One, it was going to be too expensive and ROTJ already had the highest budget of the three films. Two, finding enough 7+ footers back then was incredibly difficult. Finding enough 7 footers nowadays is difficult enough. Think about how bad it was back then. They couldn't find enough to do it justice. Three, he has been on record that he thought it would diminish Chewy's character. So he went with ewoks.
Old 04-15-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The original ending to Jurassic Park had Alan Grant's character shoot the 2 raptors instead of the T-Rex eating them. Good change Spielberg.
Old 04-15-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,186 Likes on 2,054 Posts
I've always been curious how the rhino scene would have played out in Gladiator. If done right, it could have been some edge of your seat stuff.
Old 04-15-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 618 Likes on 477 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
Lucas didn't use wookies for a number of reasons. One, it was going to be too expensive and ROTJ already had the highest budget of the three films. Two, finding enough 7+ footers back then was incredibly difficult. Finding enough 7 footers nowadays is difficult enough. Think about how bad it was back then. They couldn't find enough to do it justice. Three, he has been on record that he thought it would diminish Chewy's character. So he went with ewoks.
Let's not forget that Lucas has also gone on record to say that Chewie was not meant to be Han's co-pilot, originally. He added Chewie to the first film because, at the time, he thought he'd never get to make any sequels and he really liked the concept of a wookie.
Old 04-15-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 618 Likes on 477 Posts
Originally Posted by inri222
The unfilmed third ending for 28 Days Later which I think would have been the best one
Yeah, but the writer/director explained that it wouldn't have worked because it was implausible given what we'd learned that a single drop of infected blood could infect you as well in an instant. Basically, they backed themselves into a corner so they had to come up with the whole army bit on the fly.
Old 04-16-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Rocky dying in Adrian's arms was the orignal planned ending of ROCKY V. But when Stallone started to get backlash from people he met on the street about killing the character off, he decided to change the ending.
Old 04-16-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts
The original ending to Se7en.
Old 04-16-05, 10:25 PM

Let's not forget that Lucas has also gone on record to say that Chewie was not meant to be Han's co-pilot, originally. He added Chewie to the first film because, at the time, he thought he'd never get to make any sequels and he really liked the concept of a wookie.
Correct!
Old 04-17-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The scouring of the Shire in LOTR

A script I read for Being John Malkovich was quite different from how it turned out. It had a much larger role for the Great Mantini, and had a competition between Malkovich and Mantini's puppet of Harry S. Truman. Also, Kevin Bacon was the actor playing himself instead of Charlie Sheen.
Old 04-17-05, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by SinCity
a few scenes from sin City, such as Marv going to his mothers for Gladys, more of Hartigan's story and nude Nancy.
All but nude Nancy was filmed and will be on the DVD.
Old 04-17-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The novelization of Return of the Jedi had some pretty good moments between Palpatine and Luke. Palpatine taunts Luke about Obi-Wan's skill at training Jedi and gestures towards Vader. He also probes Luke and discovers Yoda had trained him, too. "This Yoda, lives he still?" he asks. "Ah, he lives not."
Old 04-17-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G.
All but nude Nancy was filmed and will be on the DVD.
What a tease, that Rodriquez is!
Old 04-17-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jules' thinking about shooting Pumpkin & Honey Bunny in the resturaunt at the end of Pulp Fiction. It was in the screenplay:

PUMPKIN: I'm countin' to three, and if your hand ain't off that case, I'm gonna unload in your fuckin' face. One...

Jules closes his eyes

PUMPKIN: ...two...

Jules shoots Pumpkin twice, up through the table, sending him to the floor. While still in the booth, he swings around to honey bunny, who aimed at Jules, but slowed down by the shock of Pumpkin getting shot. He fires three times. Honey Bunny takes all three hits to the chest. As she falls screaming, she fires wildly, hitting a surfer patron.

SURFER: She shot me! I'm dying! Sally! Sally!

Jules now brings the gun down to Pumpkin's face. Pumpkin lies shot on the floor at Jules' feet. Pumpkin looks up at the big gun.

JULES: Wrong guy, Ringo.

Jules fires straight at the camera, blinding us with his flash. Jules' eyes still closed, suddenly open. Pumpkin still stands, holding the gun on him.

PUMPKIN: ...three.
It may have not worked in the final cut of the movie... but I think it would've been cool to see.
Old 04-17-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Return of the Jedi's novel also has a lot of good internal dialogue that of course couldn't be filmed (unless they did voiceovers, which wouldn't work of course) but it also has scenes on Endor that would have really helped. In the movie, 3PO simply tells them a Reader's Digest version of the trilogy up to that point, and the Ewoks are moved enough to help. In the novel, after Threepio's story, they say "yeah, so what?" Han, Luke and Leia each give their own monologue about what the Empire is doing, what it will mean to them, and the Ewoks are gradually swayed over. This has bothered me since childhood that this scene isn't in the movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.