Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kingdom of Heaven: will it be PG-13?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kingdom of Heaven: will it be PG-13?

Old 04-13-05, 01:05 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason Troy failed was that Paris was prettier than Helen.
Old 04-13-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phyre
In theory I think this film has more potential to being interesting, as it isn't just a historical epic but has picked an era where the religious and political aspects of the portrayed war are harder to ignore in the narrative.
ahh yes - politics and religion - very popular with the kids these days... it's their third favorite thing to talk about behind Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan.
Old 04-13-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Trigger
ahh yes - politics and religion - very popular with the kids these days... it's their third favorite thing to talk about behind Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan.

Who said this movie was made for kids? People over the age of 16 attend movies to you know.
Old 04-15-05, 10:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
there was a trailer for the film last night on NBC and it sported a R-rating.
Old 04-15-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
New Theatrical Trailer here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/ki...ical_menu.html (listed as R-rated)

Can't say I really agree with the choice of music on this trailer. Actually, I would have to say I hate it tremendously. Fucking emo rock doesn't belong on trailers like this.
Old 04-15-05, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

damn that was a pretty cool trailer, but I agree about the music....it sucks ass.
Old 04-15-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Orlando Bloom can't carry a movie by himself.
He can't even carry a scene. How he keeps getting these big roles, or any roles for that matter, I'll never know.
Old 04-16-05, 12:12 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Terrell
How he keeps getting these big roles, or any roles for that matter, I'll never know.
Easy: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, LORD OF THE RINGS, TROY, and to many women (and some men), a fuckability factor of 11.

Need more?

I don't understand all this hate toward Bloom when Paul Walker and Vin Diesel continue to get work. Prioritize, people!
Old 04-16-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Egads. I had to dig into my HD and watch the original trailer to get rid of the stench that rock music left behind...
Old 04-16-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott shelton
I don't understand all this hate toward Bloom when Vin Diesel continue to get work. Prioritize, people!
agreed...Vin Diesel sucks
Old 04-16-05, 01:44 AM

They say that during the sack of Jerusalem the blood ran ankle-deep in the streets. Pretty hard to PG-13 something like that without making it look like a big AMTGARD event.

Last edited by thephantom; 04-16-05 at 01:52 AM.
Old 04-16-05, 01:51 AM

Need more?
Yes, preferrably someone who can act well in just a few scenes. He's just terrible. If I had seen him give a good performance in just a couple of scenes, I might give him more of a chance. But this is the last guy that should be carrying a film like Kingdom of Heaven. Other than that, he seems like a personable fellow. I have no problem with him personally, only his atrocious acting.

Easy: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, LORD OF THE RINGS, TROY, and to many women (and some men), a fuckability factor of 11.
Well, you may be right about the last part. I'm not gay so I wouldn't know. However, he had nothing to do with the popularity of LOTR and POTC. Troy didn't do well at all, so he certainly didn't help there.

I don't understand all this hate toward Bloom when Paul Walker and Vin Diesel continue to get work. Prioritize, people!
You're right. Vin Diesel sucks too. But that certainly doesn't help Bloom. As for Paul Walker, I haven't seen a single one of his films. So I wouldn't know enough to judge. But you're probably right about him too.

Last edited by Terrell; 04-16-05 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-16-05, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't understand this hatred for Orlando Bloom and the rest of the new "hot" actors. There are literally thousands of handsome actors in Los Angeles that can't act for shit, and don't get work because of it. I know Hollywood's tendency for riding the hot new thing for as long as possible (Colin Farrell, etc), but at some point, don't you think that there may be more than one reason (other than looks) that these guys are continuing to get work? If they were really such horrific actors like you say they are, how would they still be getting work?

I don't think studios or directors would want to cast a shitty actor in a huge movie only because he looks good on film. These guys aren't Paul Newman or Robert DeNiro to be sure, but they do have some skills. It seems like this hatred towards them comes more from overexposure, which is a big problem when studios lose their imaginations or just get lazy when casting. I agree, these guys need to tone down their profile a bit; maybe take some time in between movies so that we aren't seeing them 5 times in a year (Jude Law). But they do have some ability, otherwise they wouldn't be recognized as such and asked to the next job.
Old 04-16-05, 12:18 PM

don't you think that there may be more than one reason (other than looks) that these guys are continuing to get work? If they were really such horrific actors like you say they are, how would they still be getting work?
You're kidding, right FinkPish? There are lots of lousy actors getting work for all the wrong reasons.

I don't think studios or directors would want to cast a shitty actor in a huge movie only because he looks good on film.
Well, Ridley Scott, Peter Jackson, and Gore Verbinksi did. He was tolerable in LOTR because Jackson basically put him in the background and gave him limited dialogue compared to many of the other actors.

It seems like this hatred towards them comes more from overexposure
Let me clarify myself. It's not hatred. I don't hate Bloom personally, nor do I wish him any ill will. I just think for an actor who has shown me no ability to act in any film he's been in, to keep getting these big, high profile roles. I've probably made it into a bigger deal than it should be. I'm just continually amazed he gets the roles he does with such little noticeable talent. Overexposure? Maybe, but it has more to do with the roles he is getting, that could be given to someone better.
Old 04-16-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're kidding, right FinkPish? There are lots of lousy actors getting work for all the wrong reasons.
Of course there are; I wasn't implying that there aren't any bad actors getting work solely based on their looks. But you took my quote out of context: I was referring to all of these young actors who seem to appear in every other movie that comes to theaters. They must have something that is causing them to be cast in all of these movies. Maybe it's not pure acting ability, it could just be a good screen presence, but they aren't being hired solely for their looks.
Well, Ridley Scott, Peter Jackson, and Gore Verbinksi did. He was tolerable in LOTR because Jackson basically put him in the background and gave him limited dialogue compared to many of the other actors.
OK, you can believe that about LOTR if you want, but how do you explain Ridley Scott and Gore Verbinski giving him leading man roles? You keep insisting that he is only a pretty face, but studios and directors would seem to be taking big chances with him by putting them into the lead in their blockbuster movies, especially if he were only a pretty face.
Let me clarify myself. It's not hatred. I don't hate Bloom personally, nor do I wish him any ill will. I just think for an actor who has shown me no ability to act in any film he's been in, to keep getting these big, high profile roles. I've probably made it into a bigger deal than it should be. I'm just continually amazed he gets the roles he does with such little noticeable talent. Overexposure? Maybe, but it has more to do with the roles he is getting, that could be given to someone better.
Let me clarify here too. I'm not defending him; I don't think he's that great of an actor, but you seem to be selling him really short by saying he has little to no acting ability at all. Maybe he has something you aren't seeing yet. To be fair, think about the roles he has played: Legolas, a passively emotionless elf, Will Turner, an uptight straight man to Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow, and Paris, a selfish petulant brat. He's mainly played characters that were supposed to be somewhat irritating, at least for a time. From these roles, do you really think we are seeing the breadth of his abilities? I haven't seen enough of Kingdom of Heaven to tell you if he's able to carry the whole movie on his own, but I'm willing to give him the chance to prove it.
Old 04-16-05, 01:28 PM

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
I hope it get's an R. I don't want any teeny-bopper girls swooning over Bloom while I'm trying to watch the flick.
Really? But maybe after the movie, they'll be a little... excited...
Old 04-16-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the movie will be rated R.
Old 04-16-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by QuikSilver
I think the movie will be rated R.
You fall just short of your username
Old 04-16-05, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
When your film falls about $42 million short of its budget (not even counting the 50 million for marketing) domestically, I'd call that poor. Especially since many expected Troy to top 300 million in the US.
Who expected that? Cause I can tell you most box office analysts didn't think Troy would come even close to 300 million dollars at the box office. Considering that only 1 R rated film has ever crossed 300 million dollars domestically (Passion) and only 1 other has even cracked 250 million (Matrix Reloaded) those expectations are and were ridiculous.

I beleive they had hoped to mimic the grosses of Gladiator. 180 million would've been fantastic for Troy. It disapointed, but still raked in 133 million. It's completely incorrect to assume that these movies are intended whatsoever to recoup their costs based on their domestic grosses. That's just not correct at all. These types of films have, pretty much across the board, grossed more overseas, often times 3 times as much. This is very well known, and Troy was hardly a bomb. Through in DVD grosses and it becomes obvious why a 200 million dollar budget was greenlit, and US grosses are not the sole piece of the equation.

As for Kingdom of heaven, I think it'll do fine. 100 million US, three times that much overseas, probably, and with a R rating. And I'd say that's a conservative geuss too. This is Ridley Scott, who's made what, 2 non R rated movies his entire career. I wouldnn't worry about it, and I wouldn't worry about the grosses. If it's a good film, it'll reap the rewards it deserves. If it's fairly mediocre, based on Troy's performance, it'll still do well.
Old 04-16-05, 11:23 PM

OK, you can believe that about LOTR if you want, but how do you explain Ridley Scott and Gore Verbinski giving him leading man roles?
Best guess? It's called targeting the young movie-going audience, as well as the female demographic. Besides, we know Johnny Depp was the bigger draw for most folks in POTC, not to mention he completely stole the show and made Bloom look painful.

but you seem to be selling him really short by saying he has little to no acting ability at all.
I honestly haven't seen any acting ability. Not trying to be harsh.

He's mainly played characters that were supposed to be somewhat irritating, at least for a time.
Some people have said that about Hayden Christensen in AOTC, when defending him against people who hated Hayden in the film. But the difference between Hayden and Bloom is, he's shown me he can act and do it well. Even if you hated him in Episode II, the fact is he's already given a good, convincing performance in Life As a House, and a very good performance in Shattered Glass. Bloom hasn't shown me that.

From these roles, do you really think we are seeing the breadth of his abilities?
I think we've have enough from those films, especially Troy and POTC, to judge him fairly. As for Kingdom of Heaven, I'll definitely see it because I'm a big Ridley Scott fan. As for his performance in the film, since I haven't seen the film, I can't judge it. So I don't have any choice but to give him a chance in the film. I'm just not expecting it to be a good performance. We'll discuss it after the film.

Rather than continue to piss people off, which seems to happen with discussions like this, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Old 04-25-05, 12:08 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Kingdom Of Heaven (Twentieth Century Fox): R for strong violence and epic warfare
Old 05-05-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 164 Posts
Ouch! It's only got 42% at rottentomatoes right now. Doubt it will go up. Looks like it's another spectacle without substance.
Old 05-05-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Ouch! It's only got 42% at rottentomatoes right now. Doubt it will go up. Looks like it's another spectacle without substance.
It's only 33 reviews, though for me, going in with the knowledge that this is a truncated version of what Ridley Scott filmed DOES suck. Another DVD extended edition/director's cut/whatever....
Old 05-05-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Its 67% from the Cream of the Crop critics though.
Old 05-05-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,835 Likes on 1,946 Posts
But will David Manning give it a good review?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.