Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Universal making a mistake moving up Land Of The Dead by four months?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-12-05, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know another thread is going on the subject of Romero's Land Of The Dead. That is more of a general thread.
This thread is to discuss the fact that Universal may be hurting the film by moving it's release date up to June 24. This is a film Romero fans have waited years for. Most of us thought that it may never happen.

While this is great news for us Romero and Horror film fans...I hope and pray that this is not a big mistake on Universal's part.
They now have just over two months to promote this film to people who have no idea that the film was made. They need to advertise the hell out it rather quickly.
And I hope Romero is finished with the film and that he is the one who completes the film. It would really suck if some other tinker was brought in to shoot reshoots and last minute edits. They could even mess with George's original ending. This moving up of the release date really kind of scares me.
"Batman Begin's" opens the week before on the 17th. "Bewitched" and "Herbie - Fully Loaded" open on the 24th also. While these are not the films most horror fans would flock to...people with familes may spend their weekly theater money on the family fare films. And the next week on July 1st comes "War of the Worlds" and the zombie film "Undead". The weeks after this are loaded with big title releases.
I just hope that "Land of the Dead" is not swallowed up and lost in the summer shuffle.
As much as I can't wait to see it, I wish the October date would have stuck.
Old 04-12-05, 12:06 PM
Banned

As long as it does not affect the quality of the picture, I don't care. I just hope they're not rushing Romero. But I think the movie would do better in Oct. around Halloween.
Old 04-12-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I think it's a wash. The movie won't have as many weeks at the top of the box office as it might have had in October, but it's likely to pull in more during the first few weeks of its run than it would have in the fall.

All things considered though, I'd rather see a horror movie like this around Halloween.
Old 04-12-05, 12:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how a film performs at the box office is of little concern to me. as long as the filmmaker has adequate time to assemble the film within the previously agreed upon budget, rating, and scheduling parameters, then I look forward to as immediate a release as possible.
Old 04-12-05, 12:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
well at least the NC-17 rated video version will be out before the end of the year.
Old 04-12-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's coming out sooner, that makes me HAPPY.
Old 04-12-05, 12:37 PM

The most important thing to consider here is that Romero needs to have a big hit or at least a mid-level hit. He hasn't had one in many years.
His last film, "Bruiser" went straight to DVD after a showing in maybe three theaters tops.
With this film he has a chance to regain his grip on the horror world that he once held.
Look at John Carpenter, he once was a big box office name...not anymore. He's lucky his last couple of films he made even played in theaters. I still enjoy Carpenter's work, but it seems that many others do not. And Wes Craven. He hasn't made a good horror film in nearly a decade. What happened to Wes? Tobe Hooper is yet another former decent horror filmmaker (early work). I did enjoy his "Toolbox Murders" retelling though.
If "Land of the Dead" does not do well, Romero's future releases will have to struggle to get anything more than a direct to DVD release.
Romero is my favorite filmmaker and a personnel hero of mine. I only want to see him succeed. He's 65 years-old now. How many really good filmmaking years does he have left?
Old 04-12-05, 12:39 PM
Banned

I think they want to release 4 months early ,so then they can release the dvd in Oct. for Halloween.
Old 04-12-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First off all, I know it's just an opinion, but Bruiser was a terrible film. It would have bombed if it had played in 2000+ theaters.

John Carpenter hasn't had a good film (at least not one worthy of being a big hit) in a long time. I say this being a BIG Carpenter fan!

As long as Romero makes a good movie, he won't have to worry about continuing to get work.
Old 04-12-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Since I doubt that I'll see this in the theater, I'm pretty happy that it's being released earlier than expected. This means that I'll very likely have the DVD in my grubby little manos right around Halloween, which is when I'd prefer to see this movie.

Hooray for me!
Old 04-12-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree that it's a wash.

During the summer, I think it's more likely to take in a greater amount of cash in a short run, while in the fall it may be in theatres longer, but weekly income would be less. In the summer, teens and early 20's folk who make up most of the box office cash, are out of school, and more likely to go to the movies on dates b/c the weather is great.

All in all, I don't think it will really affect the box office haul one way or another in the grand scheme of things. The only thing that will really do that is the quality of the film.

All that said, I'm happy about it b/c I get to see it sooner.
Old 04-12-05, 01:13 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Nah, doesn't bother me. Surely will be on DVD by Halloween, so from a financial perspective I can see why the studio is pushing for this.
Old 04-12-05, 01:23 PM

Oh, please. Universal will market the crap out of this film. It's cheapish, so it doesn't even have to post record numbers to make everybody happy.

It's no mistake. It'll probably have a bigger audience in the summer than it would at Halloween, competing with potential crap like SAW 2.

Besides, look at Universal's summer slate. They have 4 films coming out between 5/13 and 6/24. They are ready for a heated brawl, bringing with them their skilled marketing team. I wouldn't worry.

Now speaking about quality? Who knows... But expect a trailer very soon.

And being two months away from watching crazy-ass Asia again is a good thing in my book.
Old 04-12-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I have a feeling it'll be more ignored than you think. Most moviegoers don't know who he is, nor do they give a shit. I think Universal isn't planning on this pulling any signifigant numbers at all in theaters and is prepared to focus on the DVD marketing.
Old 04-12-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm agreeing with trigger on this. The bump up means that Universal can slap a "Unrated" tag on the dvd and release it in October to cash in on the scare factor/ halloween season.

Does this mean it will bomb? Nope. It should make a decent draw depending on how well Universal markets it and how well they get it out to the public about Romero's film history with the whole zombie craze. Link it to the DotD remake to some degree and you can get a pretty decent opening.
Old 04-12-05, 02:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Well, if this is successful (and I hope it will be) perhaps we'll see Romero's dream project about Vegetarian Zombies get the Greenlight:

"GRRRRRAINS! GRRRRRAAAAAINNNS!"
Old 04-12-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Promote it as the sequel to the 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake. Guaranteed boxoffice success.

Seriously though, I'm not sure if it really matters too much one way or another. The zombie genre has never been particularly lucrative, and I doubt even if they launched a huge ad campaign and then released the movie on Halloween day, if it would make too much of an impact. Probably their best bet is drum up interest for it on the Internet and then hope for positive word of mouth to spread, possibly culminating with the movie being a big hit on DVD.
Old 04-12-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think this is probably a good decision on Universal's part, overall. This film would probably do (slightly) better at the box office if it were released in early October... but it won't be a big hit no matter when they release it. By putting it theaters in June, they allow a reasonable window to get this on DVD for the Halloween season. That's where it will make most of it's money -- in DVD sales and rentals. I'd rather have a June/October release for theater/video, than an October/February one.

(As others have said, this is assuming that moving the film up hasn't adversely impacted its quality or rushed things.)
Old 04-12-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

did Romero stick to his promise that he didn't want stars or detailed characters ect. (if you listen to the dawn commentary, he states that is what he would want for this movie.)
Old 04-12-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
My favorite horror flick of the year opened in March last year, so not being in the mood doesn't seem like such a big concern to me.
Old 04-13-05, 02:53 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The script that I read was pretty good (was from August 04). I beleive the one 'big names' is Dennis Hopper (Hooper), and John Leguizamo (I murdered that). Everyone else is fairly unknown. I'm looking forward to seeing it, as the script seemed awesome.
Old 04-13-05, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Everyone else is fairly unknown.
Simon Baker?
Asia Argento?
Old 04-13-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Movie in June. DVD in October. No problems here.
Old 04-13-05, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scott shelton
Simon Baker?
Asia Argento?
Yeah, they're pretty much unknowns. Asia is only recognized by genre fans. I had to search Baker's name in the IMDB to figure out who he was.

I think if the movie were released in October it would probably have a better chance of staying in the box office top 10 longer. Now it'll probably sink in a week.
Old 04-13-05, 10:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Plot synopsis?

Marshall, Will, and Holly on a routine expedition
Met the greatest earthquake ever known.
High on the rapids it struck their tiny raft,
And plunged them down a thousand feet below.
To the Land of the Dead!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.