Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie ratings

Old 04-11-05, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Movie ratings

I don't know if this has been talked about before, but I was just watching my AVP DVD the other day and when the rating for the movie popped up, (I think it's a PG-13 rating) part of the discription was SLIME and GORE. Now I can see putting GORE on the rating but SLIME. What happened to good old fasioned VIOLENCE, NUDITY, LANGUAGE, BRIEF NUDITY etc... I think they're starting to borderline rediculous. Anyone else seen some off the wall discriptions?
Old 04-11-05, 10:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Are you a parent? Then don't worry about it. The disclaimer is there for parents who want to know what kind of content is in there, and decide if it's appropriate for their kids.
Old 04-11-05, 10:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The Powerpuff Girls Movie, rated PG for "Non-stop frenetic animated action."
Old 04-11-05, 11:01 AM

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
If they thought AvP was slimey, I wonder what rating they'll give "You Can't Do That on Television" if it ever comes to DVD?
Old 04-11-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
If they thought AvP was slimey, I wonder what rating they'll give "You Can't Do That on Television" if it ever comes to DVD?
It'll be rated G for "No Slime," which means it must be....

THE INTRODUCTION TO THE OPPOSITES
Old 04-11-05, 11:52 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Are you a parent? Then don't worry about it. The disclaimer is there for parents who want to know what kind of content is in there, and decide if it's appropriate for their kids.
So, Grouco, are you saying that there's a group of parents that are overly sensitive to the amount of "Slime" in movies today? And in an effort to "decide if it's appropriate for their kids" they're using the MPAA ratings to avoid "Slime"?!?

Old 04-11-05, 11:53 AM

I really don't know, I don't care. I don't pay attention to the ratings, and I'm not sure why everybody here seems obsessed with them.
Old 04-11-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to remember than many of these kids nowdays weren't brought up watching Double Dare every afternoon. They just don't have the slime tolerance of my generation.
Old 04-11-05, 12:01 PM

We watched Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow last night, and my wife and I looked at each other when it was rated PG for "sequences of stylized sci-fi violence and brief mild language". Both parts had us scratching our heads.
Old 04-11-05, 12:20 PM

Yes, I am a parent and I have another on the way, and once again, you come off sounding like an ass like you did in one of my other threads. Yes, I know and am well aware of what and why there is a disclaimer. My comment was about how they are becoming over the top on what they feel they must tell is in the movie. I think Violence and/or Gore would be sufficient. You can look at most of the ads for this movie and see that there is slime in the movie. Next time, don't respond if you are going to continue to be a prick.
Old 04-11-05, 02:59 PM

I loved Queen of the Damned which was rated R for "vampire violence."
Old 04-11-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...highlight=mpaa
funny mpaa ratings in an older thread. (then again there is always team america.
Rated R for graphic crude and sexual humor, violent images and strong language - all involving puppets.
Old 04-11-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
So what's the longest description you've seen?

I get a feeling there's a bigger one out there, but this is the only one that comes to mind at the moment:
Lockdown (2000)
Rated R for brutal violence including sexual assaults, a strong scene of sexuality, pervasive language and graphic drug use.
Its funnier trying to read ^all that^ in the little box.
Old 04-11-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
My favorite has always been "Twister", rated PG-13 for Intense Depection Of Very Bad Weather. I cracked up after watching it on laserdisc for the first time, then reading the back cover before putting it away.
The newer movies give away too much with that rating description now, I've seen ones that say "A scene of sexuality" so of course I watch for that to come up. "Just Married" has an onscreen message before the movie starts saying what it's rated and why, and one of the reasons is "A Brief Drug Reference". That happens near the end of the movie, at the airport when they get back from the honeymoon after fighting and wanting to get divorced, and Brittany Murphy tells customs agents that her husband is smuggling hash in his ass.
Old 04-11-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DARTH GAMER
Yes, I am a parent and I have another on the way, and once again, you come off sounding like an ass like you did in one of my other threads. Yes, I know and am well aware of what and why there is a disclaimer. My comment was about how they are becoming over the top on what they feel they must tell is in the movie. I think Violence and/or Gore would be sufficient. You can look at most of the ads for this movie and see that there is slime in the movie. Next time, don't respond if you are going to continue to be a prick.

Ahhh Raider fan rears his head finally in dvdtalk...
Just ignore Groucho. He gets boring after about 5 posts.

I know we haven't talked in awhile, I think I have a dvd on Frazetta that you could probably use in your class. Click on my Profiler link at the bottom of my post.

I agree on the disclaimers. Sometimes the description is better than the movie
Old 04-11-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I really don't know, I don't care. I don't pay attention to the ratings, and I'm not sure why everybody here seems obsessed with them.

Total agreement.
Old 04-11-05, 10:32 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I don't think anyone reading this post bases his DVD purchases or viewings on the ratings themselves (unless they have kids). The subject actually being discussed here is how ridiculous and funny the rating descriptions can be.

Many of us have actually enjoyed reading this post. We find it sadly amusing when movies such as "Austin Powers" have warnings like "Intense Depiction of Flatulence by the Morbidly Obese"*.

*Not an actual warning.
Old 04-12-05, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73

Ahhh Raider fan rears his head finally in dvdtalk...
Just ignore Groucho. He gets boring after about 5 posts.

I know we haven't talked in awhile, I think I have a dvd on Frazetta that you could probably use in your class. Click on my Profiler link at the bottom of my post.

I agree on the disclaimers. Sometimes the description is better than the movie
Yes, I thought I would venture out on the other side of the tracks for a change. When and where did you get the Frazetta DVD. I would really like to score a copy. Whats the disclaimer on that say I wonder. Rated 'R' for intense, colorful images of nude, painted women and barbarians. Give us a call, Your better half must be just about ready.

As for Groucho, I'm not too worried. I just pretend I'm talking with one of my students. "Now Prick, I mean Groucho, If you have nothing nice to say, Don't say anything at all" I guess he's a little slow and didn't quite get the purpose of the thread.
Old 04-12-05, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Harry Potter & Chamber of Secrets (I think) was UK PG rated for "mild language and horror, and fantasy spiders"

fantasy spiders! That made me laugh. Imagine what they would have said about Arachnaphobia...

Surely "mild language/horror" would have been sufficient? Why single out the spider scene?

Last edited by grim_tales; 04-12-05 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-12-05, 09:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like DARTH GAMER I agree some of the descriptions are getting amusing Also like Groucho quite frankly I usually don't pay attention to them. Not sure it's really worth getting into an argument over though. I'm also not sure what this has to do specifically w/ DVDs so I'm moving it to the Movie Forum.
Old 04-12-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts
The oddest thing I remember seeing was Napoleon Dynamite carry a warning of Bullying.
Old 04-12-05, 10:32 AM

I think we're all bored of hearing about Groucho's Prick by now.
Old 04-12-05, 10:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
well surprisingly, in the Washington Post Friday Weekend section, there is part of the movie review section that details why and what parts of the film are rated as such. It serves it purpose well since a parent can read (complete with film spoilers) all the film depicts (I find it all rather anal).
Old 04-12-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
I think we're all bored of hearing about Groucho's Prick by now.
Pen Prick?

Most recent I found amusing was for Ice Princess: Squeaky Clean!
Old 04-12-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ben12
It'll be rated G for "No Slime," which means it must be....

THE INTRODUCTION TO THE OPPOSITES

Oh man, that was a killer YCDTOTV reference that I'm probably the only one to appreciate it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.