Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

**Saraha Movie Thread**

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

**Saraha Movie Thread**

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-05, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**Sahara Movie Thread**

I'm suprised there isn't already a topic. I don't think it looks like anything special, but could be fun.

I'm thinking of seeing it tonight and wanted some oppinions, reviews aren't so great, almost 50/50, anyone seen it?

Last edited by The Ferret; 04-08-05 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-08-05, 06:07 PM

Oops, mispelling the title of the movie in the thread, what a retard.
Old 04-08-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Ferret
Oops, mispelling the title of the movie in the thread, what a retard.
You mean "retart".

Old 04-08-05, 06:11 PM

Thought I fixed it, but apparently not, is it even possible unless your a mod?

ps. Probably seeing Sin City, but still wondering what people think of this.
Old 04-08-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not going to see it. Now you wanna discuss the merits of Bogart's Sahara, I'm up for that.
Old 04-08-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ferret, only mods can change a title.
You could delete the first post and start a new thread with the correct spelling
Old 04-08-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Will try and catch a matinee this wknd....looks like a fun, popcorn movie... Didn't like the previews, but the tv spots and several positive reviews have swayed me. I've read 3 or 4 of the books (including this one), but it's been so long I can't really remember which scenes we're in which story....

For ex which one was it where Dirk rides a matress down the side of a building/pyramid - Inca Gold? I always liked that one...
Old 04-08-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Going to try to catch it this weekend also.I love the books and hopefully the movie does this one justice.
Old 04-08-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
My wife, sister in law, and I just got back from seeing it. I've read every Dirk Pitt book at least once, and several two or three times.

Given the limitations of a 2 hour movie, I'd have to say they did a decent job. Matthew and Steve made a pretty good team, even if Al isn't a stocky Italian. I liked the little touches throughout the movie that only book fans would get. The movie flew by, was extremely humorous and was just a bit above the enjoyment level of National Treasure, which I'm sure was influenced somewhat by the Dirk Pitt books.
Old 04-08-05, 09:28 PM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by N2DVD
My wife, sister in law, and I just got back from seeing it. I've read every Dirk Pitt book at least once, and several two or three times.

Given the limitations of a 2 hour movie, I'd have to say they did a decent job. Matthew and Steve made a pretty good team, even if Al isn't a stocky Italian. I liked the little touches throughout the movie that only book fans would get. The movie flew by, was extremely humorous and was just a bit above the enjoyment level of National Treasure, which I'm sure was influenced somewhat by the Dirk Pitt books.

Aside from one other book, these books are the only fiction books I have read in over fifteen years. I take them for what they are, but I do like them. My fear then was that the movie would mistreat the books, make things more fantastical and unbelievable. I also worried that the character of Dirk would be severely altered, at least in personality. It seems according to your review those fears are somewhat unfounded. Is that indeed the case? As a fan of the series, are you happy with the treatment?
Old 04-08-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I saw this movie almost 2 months ago at a pre-screening in NYC so it may not be the final cut. Actually, it was so long ago that I forgot a lot of the movie already.

All I can remember is that there's basically 2 plot lines that intersect. 1) Cruz's plot line where she's trying to find out what's making people sick and 2) Matt M & Steve Zahn's plot line to find the treasure.

The movie had a few exciting moments but overall it was just missing something that really draws you into it. I thought that National Treasure, another treasure hunt movie that came out earlier in the year, was a much better movie than this.

Oh yeah, the movie has the Merovingian from the Matrix movies as one of the villains.

I give this movie 2 out of 4 stars.
Old 04-08-05, 11:20 PM
Suspended

Def going to check this out tomorrow, looks like a fun popcorn movie so its worth a matinee, not expecting much though, anything to kill the time till Batman comes out.
Old 04-09-05, 12:12 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
I saw this movie almost 2 months ago at a pre-screening in NYC so it may not be the final cut. Actually, it was so long ago that I forgot a lot of the movie already.
It was the final cut. Paramount screened the shit out of this movie the last two months.
Old 04-09-05, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Our family just got back from seeing this tonight - great movie and lots of fun! Starts out a little slow, but picks up steam in the middle and end.

Maybe not a classic, but would be fun if this developes into a franchise.

*** 3 stars!
Old 04-09-05, 12:16 AM

I've never read any of the books, so I have no frame of reference of how faithful the movie was. Having said that, I had a really good time watching Sahara. It was pretty well directed, the action scenes being very well paced. I also always enjoy Steve Zahn so it was fun to see him as an action hero.
Old 04-09-05, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I've read several of Cussler's books, but not this. I'm still interested in this. Probably check it out sometime in the next week or so.
Old 04-09-05, 03:51 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'll wait till the dvd.
Old 04-09-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got back from seeing it and i thought it kicked ass.It stayed true enough to the book to keep me happy.I don't know why Cussler got his panties all in a bunch over it.Matthew M. (don't feel like trying to spell his last name) and Zahn worked well together,they cracked me up several times.And Booker T was pretty good as the villain as well.
Old 04-09-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So it seems that most fans of Cussler's books will enjoy this then?

I may have to catch it as a matinee later this week. It's a shame that since this will likely only gross around 60 to 70 million, that we may never see a franchise made out of Dirk Pitt, as this one cost 130 mil. I guess we can always hope it will have strong legs or do really well on DVD. Oh well, and Inca Gold did kick ass.

Shouldn't they have started this possible franchise with Raise the Titanic, it was the first Dirk Pitt novel right?
Old 04-09-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mano365

Shouldn't they have started this possible franchise with Raise the Titanic, it was the first Dirk Pitt novel right?
It's actually the 4th.They probably didn't start from that one since a movie version has already been made of it.
Old 04-10-05, 01:15 AM
Suspended

Just got back from the movie and i thought it rocked!!! It was a lot of fun and I think Matt carried the movie well. Zahn was pretty funny and Penelope looked good. Not the greatest movie in the world, but I liked a lot of the characters, while I liked everybodys screen time, I would have to liked to see more developement, prob with that 3 hour movie, LOL.
Old 04-10-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Just saw the matinee w/ the my Dad who is a big Cussler fan, too. I liked it - he loved it. *** out of *****

McConaughey, Zahn, Macy and Wilson were good together. And that was the best the Cruz has ever looked, imo. The scenery was great and there wasn't much cgi, which is most welcome nowadays. The suspense was lacking, but I didn't expect much otherwise. Good old-fashioned adventure flick.
Old 04-10-05, 08:24 PM
WOG
Cool New Member

I think the movie was average, and i disagree with anyone that says cruz looked the best in this movie ... she looked the bomb in vanella sky ,,,, personal opinion ha!!!
Old 04-11-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by B.A.
Just saw the matinee w/ the my Dad who is a big Cussler fan, too. I liked it - he loved it. *** out of *****
Wow--I took my dad on Sunday afternoon too. He collects all the books... gets the hardcover AND the paperback.
Old 04-11-05, 05:33 PM

Read the book "Sahara" again a few months ago and my wife and I just saw the movie last Friday night! (We're both fan's of Clive Cussler's books! We have all his books, though I couldn't find "Night Probe" in my daughter's black hole bedroom! So, I found a PalmReader V1.1 copy and recently read "Night Probe" on my Palm T3!!!)

First of all, many story element plot events are not in the movie and the major character backgrounds have been change, ... so don't expect it to be a faithful adaptation of Clive Cussler's book.

Movie Rating IMHO = 4 Stars out of 5

It's a Hollywood epic feeling, buddy film & the INTRO is literally a blast!!!** (no spoiler's here)

Some of the trailers show some, not all of the bomblastic highlights and that's good since the story unfolds with some unexpectations.

Dirk Pitt (Matthew McConaughey) and & Al Giordino (Steve Zahn) are, perfectly cast as the elite daring do team. The chemistry between Dirk and Al are believable and well played to the observed audience approval (& laughter) around us - Century THX Theater was 3/4+ full - late show staring 9:10pm.

My wife noted, and I agree that Dirk Pitt's character is not fully flushed out for those not familiar with Clive Cussler's books, but otherwise Matthew McConaughey did a very fine job!

I thought the other principal castings were A-OK, including Penelope Cruz (Dr. Eva Rojas).

At 2 hrs 7 mins., they covered the plots (trailer reveals those) in the story from beginning to end with efficiency while adding interesting side scene events in-between.

All-in-all, excellent pop-corn entertaining blockbuster movie.

**Music added to the action and I can't wait to get the DVD and really feel the LFE with my SVS 25-31PCi!!!

Phil

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.