Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Let's discuss The Graduate, shall we?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Let's discuss The Graduate, shall we?

Old 07-27-09, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Let's discuss The Graduate, shall we?

At the time, the ending of THE GRADUATE was considered a "What do we do now?" ending, possibly the first of its type, with no indication that Ben and Elaine had any clue of where they were headed. Kind of a metaphor for the times. And a not uncommon ending in the years to follow. (See THE CANDIDATE.)

Critics were mixed on the film, but it became a hit with young audiences, who formed lines to see it at a time when lines for movies weren't that common. It became something of a cultural phenomenon, so the critics went back to see what they had missed and suddenly changed their minds and raved about it, possibly to seem like they were "with it" and tuned in to the new "youth culture." Andrew Sarris, writing in the Village Voice, never wavered in his view that the film was overrated.

BONNIE AND CLYDE was a similar phenomenon the same year where critics went back and reevaluated it after trashing it. Bosley Crowther, the top critic at the New York Times, basically lost his job (good riddance!) over his failure to "appreciate" BONNIE AND CLYDE. He was finally deemed "out of touch." (And he certainly was, but for different reasons, IMHO.)

I saw THE GRADUATE once when it was reissued in the early 1970s. Haven't seen it since. I saw BONNIE AND CLYDE a few months after it came out and then a few more times in the years after, including at a public college screening.
Old 09-05-10, 01:28 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just watched The Graduate yesterday on TCM and it is really inspiring how he still got her at the end even when literally everyone hated him (except his parents) and he even threw out modern society's structure like the last kiss to signify marriage out the damn window fighting them off because really we are all primal creatures at heart.
Old 09-05-10, 02:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 946 Likes on 792 Posts

^ inspiring? i don't think so.
Old 09-05-10, 03:36 PM
En vacance

Yes because he triumphed over all.
Old 09-06-10, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Did he? The ending of The Graduate is perhaps the quintessential ambiguous ending of all time.
Old 09-06-10, 01:10 PM
En vacance

He's clearly happy with her on that date saying how his life was pointless before her, i mean he only went upward with her why would it be ambiguous?? Maybe because of their expressions on the bus?
Old 09-06-10, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,115 Likes on 808 Posts

I apologize if this linked image disappears
I call this one: "Portraits of Victory"
Old 09-06-10, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
Absolutely so. It was one of the few movies of 1967 that overturned the morals of the Production Code. Bonnie and Clyde and Cool Hand Luke would be others.
They didn't overturn the morals of the Production Code, they overturned the strictures of the Production Code and eventually made the Code irrelevant, paving the way for the Ratings system. And there were a good many more movies than those in 1967, most of them European (think BELLE DE JOUR and WEEKEND). The Best Picture that year, IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT, dealt with abortion. Even trash like VALLEY OF THE DOLLS broke a few taboos. And even the James Bond films did their part.

In case no one's mentioned it in this thread yet, to those interested in more info about 1967, read Mark Harris' "Pictures at a Revolution," a production history of the five films nominated for Best Picture in 1967: THE GRADUATE, BONNIE AND CLYDE, DR. DOLITTLE, IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT and GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER? There's your context.
Old 09-06-10, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Never before have I met an on screen character that annoyed me and aggravated me like Dustin Hoffman's Ben. He's like Napoleon Dynamite without the comedy. He's like an early, unfunny version of Michael Cera. And here's a comment that will gain some groans - I think if they made a remake with Michael Cera, it might actually be watchable. He goes from a lazy, mopey whiner to an unlikable co-dependent, no personality punk to a creepy fucking stalker. The girl isn't much better, and just comes off as stupid. One date (one date that didn't go well at all) and all of a sudden they're in love! How very believable.

"Hey, I fucked your mom."
"That's okay. I might marry you. Maybe."

By the end of the movie, I was rooting against Ben more than I've ever rooted against a character before, although I knew that being an old movie, it would end up with 'the good guy' winning.

I wouldn't ever watch this movie again. I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone. I have no idea how this movie 'launched Dustin Hoffman's career'. I really don't. His range in this movie was from wooden board to a piece of shit sitting in a dirty park toilet. This movie doesn't belong in the IMDB top 250 at all, and is severely overrated.

Just had to get this off of my chest, seeing it for the first time.
Dude, you read my mind.

I watched this several weeks ago for the firs time and at the end, I was shocked to realize that I didn't like the movie. In the first half of the movie, Ben is a insufferable asshole. He turns somewhat likable when he starts dating Elaine and then turns into a creepy stalker when he starts following Elaine around. The ending may have worked back in the 60's, but nowadays, it's stupid and hackneyed.

The Graduate is the first classic movie that I've disliked. I've seen others where I admired the movie and could see why it is considered a classic, but the Graduate is the first classic movie that I don't plan on owning in any format.
Old 09-08-10, 02:33 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Dude, you read my mind.

I watched this several weeks ago for the firs time and at the end, I was shocked to realize that I didn't like the movie. In the first half of the movie, Ben is a insufferable asshole. He turns somewhat likable when he starts dating Elaine and then turns into a creepy stalker when he starts following Elaine around. The ending may have worked back in the 60's, but nowadays, it's stupid and hackneyed.

The Graduate is the first classic movie that I've disliked. I've seen others where I admired the movie and could see why it is considered a classic, but the Graduate is the first classic movie that I don't plan on owning in any format.
What about it's photography, soundtrack, and use of location? Even if you don't like Ben I think there's plenty in the film to enjoy. Also, it should be emphasized that the film IS a comedy. I think when some people watch a 40 year old film with dry wit they might mistake it for a melodrama.
Old 09-08-10, 04:23 PM
En vacance

I loved the part where Ben is telling on the phone where the church is because he's the minister that has to preside over the marriage, a hotrod cruising graduate sweating his chops off trying to figure out which church the marriage is to happen at the last minute.
Old 09-08-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
The future of the couple is ambiguous, but Ben getting Elaine is as clear as ice.
Not really.
Spoiler:
The ceremony was complete. She is legally married. She could have just as easily gone back to the church after the end credits after realizing that the whim of running away with Ben isn't going to amount to much. The thrill of having is not nearly as compelling as the thrill of chasing.
Old 10-18-11, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Father: "then what the hell was the point of you doing 4 years of college?"
Benjamin: "you got me."

I just watched it last night, maybe only the second time I've watched it. I was indifferent the first time I saw it; now I'm older, and I can appreciate the film a lot better now than when I was young.

I really liked it.

Mr. Roeper was a douche (reminded me of my paternal grandfather) - one of his house tenants was Richard Dreyfuss - never noticed him before!

Dustin Hoffman, in the beginning, was very Rain Man-ish, but as the film wore on, he kind of "fleshed out."
Old 10-18-11, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Mr. Roeper was a douche (reminded me of my paternal grandfather) - one of his house tenants was Richard Dreyfuss - never noticed him before!
Anyone who doesn't recognize the magnificence of this film is one of them outside agitators.
Old 10-18-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LOL!

I see "The Graduate" as an art film, and a very good one, at that, for its time. The camerawork, some of the angles, the imagery...very good direction from Mike Nichols.