Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Raging Bull: Jake LaMotta would be listed as a Sex Offender today

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-05-05, 04:29 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He was dating a girl he knew was 15 years old than marries her. If this were to happen today he would be arrested and have to list as a Sex Offender.
Old 04-05-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, now that you got that off your chest. Do you want to talk about the classic "Raging Bull"?
Old 04-05-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Same with Jerry Lee Lewis, Caligula, and probably Elvis. How old was Pricilla when they first went out?
Old 04-05-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If he married her, then it sounds okay to me.
Old 04-05-05, 05:07 PM

Cool.
Old 04-05-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Isn't why he went to jail in the movie (other girl, not his wife). The two detectives wake him up and show him a picture. "You know this girl Jake? She's only 15" or words to that effect.
Old 04-05-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Isn't why he went to jail in the movie (other girl, not his wife). The two detectives wake him up and show him a picture. "You know this girl Jake? She's only 15" or words to that effect.
yep

Old 04-05-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by feral125
He was dating a girl he knew was 15 years old than marries her. If this were to happen today he would be arrested and have to list as a Sex Offender.
Ehm, you weren't awake during the movie...were you?

-JP
Old 04-05-05, 09:10 PM

Hmm.. Good point. Personally, I've always wondered how Joe Pesci ended up married with TWO kids out of nowhere...

Seriously though, the story's timeline jumps ahead a little bit during the color/home movie scene. DeNiro gets a new wife, Pesci gets his kids, etc. I guess it is kind of easy to not notice it at first since a more traditional movie would have a scene covering the divorce of the first wife, etc.

The chick he gets busted for towards the end was 14, and it had a bit to do with him letting her into a 21+ nightclub with no ID as well as kissing her. Chances are he probably banged her, too, since I doubt either of those would really end up with a guy getting thrown in jail like that.
Old 04-06-05, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Poink
Seriously though, the story's timeline jumps ahead a little bit during the color/home movie scene. DeNiro gets a new wife, Pesci gets his kids, etc. I guess it is kind of easy to not notice it at first since a more traditional movie would have a scene covering the divorce of the first wife, etc.
This has always been a major strength of Scorsese (of course to some, it's a weakness); he doesn't concern himself with conventional plot, and just concentrates on the story. Goodfellas has the same kind of narrative jumps and unexplained loose ends as Raging Bull, and it still flows seamlessly.

I'm reminded of a Joe Bob Briggs line about some unnecessarily convuluted movie: "The plot keeps getting in the way of the story." Never happens in a Scorsese film.