Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wedding Crashers - O. Wilson/V. Vaughn/C. Walken

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wedding Crashers - O. Wilson/V. Vaughn/C. Walken

Old 07-14-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,057 Likes on 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Matinee? Yes. Evening? No.

Vaughn is at the top of his game in this film. Too bad that can't be said about anyone/anything else.
I don't get this reasoning... Are your prices different, depending on the time of day? Ours are always the same. Although I had a free screening for this one, I wouldn't have been disappointed, had I paid.
Old 07-14-05, 02:16 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get shit from you for liking The Island while you liked Starsky & Hutch? What the hell is up with that buddy?!?!
Well, at least you could see what was going on in HUTCH. It knew when to end. And it didn't feature Sean Bean as the bad guy. Three pluses right there.

Big laughs all around? Did we see the same film? Because I remember the movie coming to an almost complete halt during it's final 25 minutes (which is a complete no-no in terms of making a comedy). I also don't think it was a great idea to giving Vaughn all the comedic material (and when the man shoots, he scores) whereas the true star of the film (Wilson) only gets laughs two or three times during the entire 120 minute running time.
There's the dramatic gap in the climax, but the film recovers by the end. I'm with you, sarge, I don't think the picture lives up to its potential. But when it scores, it scores big. And I enjoyed Wilson too (he had more laughs than that, come on!), but no, he isn't given as much to do as Vaughn. Wilson is the romantic lead - not nearly as many chances for fun there.

We saw the same film, trust me.
Old 07-14-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by andicus
I don't get this reasoning... Are your prices different, depending on the time of day? Ours are always the same. Although I had a free screening for this one, I wouldn't have been disappointed, had I paid.

Where I live, one can see a matinee movie for as low as $5.50, pretty good.
Old 07-14-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott shelton
Well, at least you could see what was going on in HUTCH. It knew when to end. And it didn't feature Sean Bean as the bad guy. Three pluses right there.

There's the dramatic gap in the climax, but the film recovers by the end. I'm with you, sarge, I don't think the picture lives up to its potential. But when it scores, it scores big. And I enjoyed Wilson too (he had more laughs than that, come on!), but no, he isn't given as much to do as Vaughn. Wilson is the romantic lead - not nearly as many chances for fun there.

We saw the same film, trust me.
While Hutch was short and to the point, I just did not find it funny at all. Weird, considering I've liked all of Todd Phillips' other works (and I am one of the few that finds Road Trip to be a much better film than Old School).

I don't think the film recovers itself by the end. All you get is a nice moment from Vaughn and one of Wilson's only memorable bits in the entire film (and I've liked a lot of Wilson's earlier efforts, here he just did nothing for me).

I only enjoyed Wilson during three specific moments during the film:
Spoiler:
1. When he called Vince Vaughn a "sandbagging son of a bitch."
2. After he uses his, "We've lost a lot of good men" line and the girl at the reception responds back with, "To the Yankees?" I was the only one in the theater to laugh at that line at both screenings.
3. When he makes the "Ike Turner" reference when describing McAdams' boyfriend.

And if Sean Bean was in the film, he'd probably be wasted like everyone else.

And matinee prices are usually $3 cheaper than that of evening prices here in Vegas.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 07-14-05 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-15-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got back from watching it and highly enjoyed the movie. It's not going to be a classic or anything, the plot is predictable as is the endind but damnit this movie made me laugh hard, very hard in spots. It is worth watching just for the dinner scene. Vince Vaughn made this movie for me with his ranting.

3/4 stars
Old 07-15-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it is a classic and hilarious. Not sure why it matters what the the plot or ending is to a raunchy R-rated comedy.

Vince Vaughn should win some sort of comedy Oscar for this movie, he was in a league of his own.

This is a great comedy, although Roger Ebert disagrees with me. But he liked The Honeymooners so I won't touch that one.

1/2 out of

Last edited by Frank TJ Mackey; 07-16-05 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-15-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This was a good old fashioned R-rated comedy filled with adult sitautions and the use of swear words that adults would use in such situations to express themselves. Loved the chemistry between Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn. There were quite a few moments of nervous laughing from build-up of the characters interacting with one another that had me in stitches, I think I even slapped my knee a few times as well. Also, the screenplay sprinkles in quieter scenes to let the audience catch their breath, and allowed for a nice flow to the film.

If the concept of wedding crashing intrigues you, check out this film, it's got plenty of laughs for you if you relax and just go along for the ride.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 07-16-05, 03:55 AM

Hilarious. I paid full price for this one tonight, and I wouldn't hesitate to pay it again while it is still in the theaters.
Old 07-16-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by heimerSWT
Hilarious. I paid full price for this one tonight, and I wouldn't hesitate to pay it again while it is still in the theaters.

The dinner table scene with Isla Fisher & Vince Vaughn is almost worth full price by itself.

I'll be going back to see it a second time. Maybe I'm going so apesh*t over this movie because it's a rarity to find a really funny adult comedy these days.

The cameo near the end by a famous actor was a nice touch, although his part was absurdly morbid.
Old 07-16-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Frank TJ Mackey
The cameo near the end by a famous actor was a nice touch, although his part was absurdly morbid.
Said cameo was wasted.
Spoiler:
I'm sorry, but if you have Will Ferrell and Christopher Walken in the same shot (which does happen at the very end of the film); you NEED to make a cowbell reference.
Old 07-16-05, 04:17 PM

Said cameo was wasted.
Spoiler:
I'm sorry, but if you have Will Ferrell and Christopher Walken in the same shot (which does happen at the very end of the film); you NEED to make a cowbell reference.
No. There's no need for that. That bit has run its course.
Old 07-16-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott shelton
No. There's no need for that. That bit has run its course.
According to you? Yes. According to everyone else? No.

Seriously, something other than Vaughn needed to be funny in the movie.
Old 07-16-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely no need for that reference away from where it originated.

This was unbelievably disappointing to me. Myself and my wife were really looking forward to this, and neither one of us found it very funny at all. It did have some chuckles, but overall was a huge letdown.
Old 07-16-05, 08:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Spoiler for those who havent seen it yet:

Why the heck would eye drops cause the jerk boyfriend to get so sick?
Old 07-16-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 197 Likes on 162 Posts
Pretty damn good, if a bit too long. **** out of *****.

I loved it, but they could have trimmed some of the fat towards the end, including the aforementioned cameo.
Old 07-16-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 197 Likes on 162 Posts
Guess what? I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!

SNL just aired that skit again - and it never loses its luster.
Old 07-17-05, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hilarious!

The very first rant at the beginning with Vaughn and his secretary was the best.

"Play a little "Just the Tip" you know just to see how it feels."

I peed myself.
Old 07-17-05, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The movie was hilarious, and much better than i expected. This movie wouldn't have been anywhere near as good if Vince Vaughn weren't in it. Vaughn did an Excellent job
Old 07-17-05, 06:20 AM

The wife and I saw it yesterday afternoon and we both thought it was hilarious.
The dinner scene was especially funny. I would give it a 4 out of 5.
Old 07-17-05, 06:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EEz28
Spoiler for those who havent seen it yet:

Spoiler:
Why the heck would eye drops cause the jerk boyfriend to get so sick?
Try using spoiler tags next time. But here is your answer:

Spoiler:
It was not the eye drops that made him sick, it was the fluid they kept in it that made him sick. The eyedrop container was just a means of storing the "poison" discretely and easily.

I enjoyed the movie, but I wouldn't call it "the best comedy of the year", or even say its DVD-worthy. It seems that they took a guy flick and a chick flick and spliced them together. One minute, you hear a raunchy joke or see some boobage - usually involving Vince Vaugh - and the next you would see someone sharing feelings and getting all emotional - usually involving Owen Wilson. It was as if Vince was there for comic relief as they told Owens chick-flick-esqe story so that it wasn't a total chick flick. Its a nice concept, but I don't think you can pull it off - at least this movie didn't.

There was one thing that bothered me about the plot:

Spoiler:
How the hell did the detective find out their real names, when all he had to go on was the fake ones? No pictures, no details, nothing. Just two fake names and he got all their info?

If this was a 100% comedy, I wouldn't even be asking that question - I would accept the story as it is. But because it has the somewhat realistic story as the main focus, I have to ask it.

It was a good movie, but definitely not worth $10+ at a movie theater. Wait til it comes out on HBO and laugh at the jokes then.

Last edited by joshd2012; 07-17-05 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-17-05, 09:45 AM

The 'surprise' cameo was one of the few dissapointments in a hilarious movie. Vaughn was great.

I just didnt think 'the surprise cameo' actor was funny at all. Seems like he's got a case of stardom-itis, where he could say or do anything and people would laugh. Not in this case.
Old 07-17-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by joshd2012

There was one thing that bothered me about the plot:

Spoiler:
How the hell did the detective find out their real names, when all he had to go on was the fake ones? No pictures, no details, nothing. Just two fake names and he got all their info?
since it was a high profile wedding, maybe the secret service had picures of each guest when they entered with names
Old 07-17-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
since it was a high profile wedding, maybe the secret service had picures of each guest when they entered with names
Then why did Zack not go straight to the secret service to find out the information? From what I recall, he chose one of his friends who knew a private dick.
Old 07-17-05, 03:30 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 274 Likes on 208 Posts
Just got back from seeing it and liked it a lot as well.

Isla Fisher and Vaughn pretty much own every scene they're in together and the dinner table scene was great.

The grandmother's Eleanor Roosevelt rant had me as well

I felt the cameo at the ned fell a liuttle flat as well.
Old 07-17-05, 04:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by joshd2012
Try using spoiler tags next time. But here is your answer:

Spoiler:
It was not the eye drops that made him sick, it was the fluid they kept in it that made him sick. The eyedrop container was just a means of storing the "poison" discretely and easily.
I didnt know how to do the tag at the time smart guy, and your comment doesnt make any sense because
Spoiler:
we see Owen use the drops during one of the previous weddings to get the attention of the girl, so why would he put poison in his eyes? This is apparently something that he carries around with him to all the weddings.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.