Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Southern Theatre owners refuse to show Imax Volcanoes Movie.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Southern Theatre owners refuse to show Imax Volcanoes Movie.

Old 03-23-05, 11:13 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,777
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southern Theatre owners refuse to show Imax Volcanoes Movie.

CHARLESTON, South Carolina (AP) -- IMAX theaters in several Southern cities have decided not to show a film on volcanoes out of concern that its references to evolution might offend those with fundamental religious beliefs.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html
I wanted to get everyones take on this. It disgusts me, but the south never ceases to suprise me anymore. What would you feel if they decided not to show The Passion? While I never supported The Passion and refuse to ever take a look at it, I would never support not being able to see it in the theatres. I know every theater owner has a right to decided what they want to show or not show, but if I lived in the south, I would boycott every theater that pulled this stunt. I'm going to think about this some more and I'll post reactions to all of your feedback as well.

To the mods, if you feel this is political, please move it to the politics forum. I felt the subject belonged in the movies forum.

Last edited by Michael Ballack; 03-23-05 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-23-05, 11:25 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 4,551
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I think it's stupid, but if they think it'll hurt business, then I can't really blame them. Cause if the majority of their audience won't see it because of that reason, then they make no money. This isn't the Passion...remember, nobody wanted to screen that movie either until controversy went through the roof and all signs pointed to massive box office. I'm sure if demand in those areas showed that lots of people did want to watch it despite the objections of those conservatives, it'd be playing. I have to imagine that the primary audience for these IMAX features does come from families and people of the such, and not the typical teenage or young adult crowd, so while it may sound political, it may be pandering simply in terms of monetary reasons. I haven't run any polls in those areas though, so I can't make any real comment on the reasoning behind it. But I can see logical financial reasons to avoid material of the sort in highly Christian areas.
Old 03-23-05, 11:26 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the only thing that needs to be said is this:

Old 03-24-05, 12:18 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always feel a place of business has the right to do whatever the **** they want. I'll leave it at that before I say something I'll regret.
Old 03-24-05, 06:02 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,777
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I always feel a place of business has the right to do whatever the **** they want. I'll leave it at that before I say something I'll regret.
I take it you're against volcanoes and everything they stand for?

Last edited by Michael Ballack; 03-24-05 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-24-05, 06:34 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,521
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I always feel a place of business has the right to do whatever the **** they want. I'll leave it at that before I say something I'll regret.
The problem is, most IMAX theaters that play these nature documentaries aren't "businesses" in the traditional sense. They're non-profit, educational science centers. If it's one place that should hold out against protests from religious fundamentalist groups, it's non-profit science centers.
Old 03-24-05, 06:34 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 63,244
Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts
While personally I think it's kinda silly to not play this film, I mean after all, Christians are used to having other views forced down their throats; I'm sure if IMAX theater owners didn't want to show "The Passion of The Christ" or some other film like it for fear of offending certain groups you guys would be defending their right to do so.....

But I guess the accepted general attitude is screw Christians, their sensibilities, and their beliefs so I guess this is nothing new.
Old 03-24-05, 06:42 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,777
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about the person who happens to be a christian but also believes in science(does that not exist down in the south?). They can't see a film about volcanoes because it might offend someone? This is the new majority political correctness. If it offends someone's religion by depicting sex, language, science, don't show it? People don't have to pay to see it. They can protest it that way.
But I guess the accepted general attitude is screw Christians, their sensibilities, and their beliefs so I guess this is nothing new.
What does screwing christians have to do with this imax volcanoes movie? I don't believe volcanoes can have sex, at least I think so.
Old 03-24-05, 07:01 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
AGuyNamedMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Posts: 17,306
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
It's an IMAX movie about volcanoes. NO BIG LOSS. Read a book or attend a lecture.
Old 03-24-05, 07:27 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 63,244
Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Ballack


What does screwing christians have to do with this imax volcanoes movie? I don't believe volcanoes can have sex, at least I think so.

It was mentioned above the the "issue" might be with evolution not volcanoes. Since many, not all, Christians tend to have other ideas about evolution and the theater owners are trying to be sensitive to this I would say that getting pissed at the theater people for trying to be sensitive to this is just as silly as not showing the movie.
Old 03-24-05, 07:33 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,777
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, Giant, you wouldn't be pissed off if theater owners in the north had refused to show The Passion because it might have offended customers?
Old 03-24-05, 07:36 AM
  #12  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Obviously, the theater owners can do what they want. But rather than not show the film, why not let people make up their own minds? You could even put up a warning if you really wanted. Seems silly to withold the film from everybody just because a few might be offended.
Old 03-24-05, 07:45 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Shagrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 7,383
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the epitome of silly! I'm in agreement with letting the people make up their mind. It's not like anyone is forcing the Christians to line up and go see this film that has some content dealing with evolution.
Old 03-24-05, 08:07 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 23,510
Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
I think it's idiotic that someone would raise a stink over something like suggesting the possibility of evolution of a big-bang. Nobody ever seems to take into account that they are only theories!
Old 03-24-05, 08:18 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Posts: 9,414
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
The people did make up their minds.
The people running the IMAX theatres. They made up their mind to listen to a portion of their 'constituency.' Just like politicians. Just like companies. Just like, oh, *everybody*. Not everyone's voice counts--David Price is my congressman, but I haven't ever voted for him, and the time I wrote him a letter expressing my opinion on an issue, he responded back, "Thanks for writing, but no."
Businesses make decisions all the time to carry or not carry certain things due to "concern it might offend certain people." I think it's the consequences of the political correctness fad of the 80's-90's, now *everything* can offend someone. Heck, you're offended they're *not* showing it.
And like GRobo said, Christians are one of the few groups nowadays who aren't allowed to be offended, along with white males.
Old 03-24-05, 08:31 AM
  #16  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Posts: 6,364
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a non-theist who thinks THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST was a load of fictional hogwash designed with a specific agenda of further subverting weakened minds and hearts, but I wouldn't dare protest its exhibition because I value America as a marketplace of ideas. Conversely, Christians and those who fear them shouldn't deny me the chance to learn further facts and concepts regarding a different worldview with which I am in alignment. It's that simple. I am sensitive to the "lack of profit" argument, but I think Mr. Salty made a compelling case as to why this argument has a fundamental fault.
Old 03-24-05, 08:40 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Posts: 9,414
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
"but I wouldn't dare protest its exhibition because I value America as a marketplace of ideas"

See, i don't see anything wrong with 'protesting' somethings exhibition, because that is merely the protestor engaging in that very same marketplace of ideas. I usually protest very quietly, as in, I don't spend my money there, and I might discuss why with certain people, but to imply the protestors have no right to protest [as long as their protests are legal and nonviolent], is denying them participation in the marketplace of ideas.
A company deciding to show or not to show something is them expressing their ideas. And even though IMAX theatres are usually linked to science museums, there's a whole lot of science they're *not* showing, thus denying me "the chance to learn further facts and concepts regarding a different worldview with which I am in alignment."

"Obviously, the theater owners can do what they want. But rather than not show the film, why not let people make up their own minds?"

So you want them to show the film, thus *denying* them the right to 'do what they want.' Rather than showing the film, why not let people/IMAX theater owners make up their own minds?
Old 03-24-05, 08:50 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 25,806
Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with this.

It doesn't ring "contriversial" in any way shape or form. Maybe it's becuase I rarely see IMAX movies, I dunno.
Old 03-24-05, 08:51 AM
  #19  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,630
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
And like GRobo said, Christians are one of the few groups nowadays who aren't allowed to be offended, along with white males.
elitist snobs.
Old 03-24-05, 08:59 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 63,244
Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
So, Giant, you wouldn't be pissed off if theater owners in the north had refused to show The Passion because it might have offended customers?

Let me say it again....I THINK IT'S SILLY TO NOT SHOW MOVIES FOR VARIOUS REASONS LIKE THIS...however, I can also understand "Being sensitive" to people paying the money to patronize your place. If that's what they want to do then let them do it. If some place said "we're not going to play "PASSION" because it may offend some of our patrons", I would think it silly but I would support the right for them to do that.
Old 03-24-05, 09:00 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 46,586
Received 2,170 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
The people did make up their minds.
Businesses make decisions all the time to carry or not carry certain things due to "concern it might offend certain people." I think it's the consequences of the political correctness fad of the 80's-90's, now *everything* can offend someone. Heck, you're offended they're *not* showing it.
And like GRobo said, Christians are one of the few groups nowadays who aren't allowed to be offended, along with white males.
Nicely done.
Old 03-24-05, 09:01 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 63,244
Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
And like GRobo said, Christians are one of the few groups nowadays who aren't allowed to be offended, along with white males.

...and fat people based on dvdtalkers around here.
Old 03-24-05, 09:09 AM
  #23  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
So you want them to show the film, thus *denying* them the right to 'do what they want.' Rather than showing the film, why not let people/IMAX theater owners make up their own minds?
You make it sound like I want to force the theater to show the film. Not at all. It just seems to me that it's a better business decision to show the film. Sell some tickets, maybe even generate some controversy.

The impression I get is that the theaters are worried that they might offend a few people, so they are scrapping the film altogether. I think they should give people a little more credit, especially Christians:

Most folks who don't believe in Evolution aren't going to faint at it's mention: "Oh my Lord, I do believe I'm going to swoon!" They're going to think "I disagree with that" and move on. If they are parents, hopefully they'll take the time to talk to their kids afterwards about which parts of the movie they disagreed with, if any.

Has anybody seen this? How much does it actually talk about evolution?
Old 03-24-05, 09:10 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 63,244
Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The problem is, most IMAX theaters that play these nature documentaries aren't "businesses" in the traditional sense. They're non-profit, educational science centers. If it's one place that should hold out against protests from religious fundamentalist groups, it's non-profit science centers.
But you're forgetting where this is taking place. Like it or not Religious folks do have a voice down there. Just like others have voices in other parts of America. Sure they're "non-profit" but who do you think is funding them? They still need donations to run the place and if their typical donating partner is a Religious person who doesn't agree with having evolution pushed down his or her throat guess what the folks who run the the IMAX joint are going to do?

KISS THE ASSES OF THE MONEY SOURCES.

It happens all the time...
Old 03-24-05, 09:18 AM
  #25  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,730
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
I'm a non-theist who thinks THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST was a load of fictional hogwash designed with a specific agenda of further subverting weakened minds and hearts, but I wouldn't dare protest its exhibition because I value America as a marketplace of ideas.

Funny, I feel the same way about MISS CONGENIALITY 2.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.