Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Southern Theatre owners refuse to show Imax Volcanoes Movie.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Southern Theatre owners refuse to show Imax Volcanoes Movie.

Old 03-24-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a Christian that thinks Creationism is utter foolishness, I think the people that made this decision are a bunch of pansies. I really don't think that this would have created a huge uproar among the fundamentalists. Hell, they probably wouldn't have even known about it had it not been publicized by this press story.
Old 03-24-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 758 Likes on 554 Posts

I'm against Evolution.
Old 03-24-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 758 Likes on 554 Posts
So did they ever show this and offend everyone?

Old 03-24-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
Privately owned theaters can make their own decisions on what to show. As a consumer, I would take my business elsewhere.

I don't see this as a problem unless they try to force the government to ban the movie. (Which wouldn't be that far-fetched these days)

Re: Religion vs. Science. We just have to give Christians a few centuries to catch up with reality. after all it wasn't until the early 1990s that the Catholic church finally exonerated Galileo for his heresy in suggesting that the Earth was not the center of the universe.
Old 03-24-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 164 Posts
I wonder how many people would get up in arms if they tried to make an IMAX 3-D educational film about sex?
Old 03-24-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I wonder how many people would get up in arms if they tried to make an IMAX 3-D educational film about sex?
They would be offended because they feel god creates babies, not human beings.
Old 03-24-05, 04:51 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
See, i don't see anything wrong with 'protesting' somethings exhibition, because that is merely the protestor engaging in that very same marketplace of ideas...to imply the protestors have no right to protest [as long as their protests are legal and nonviolent], is denying them participation in the marketplace of ideas.
First of all, I never made such an implication. Just because I would not stage a protest against THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST does not indicate I am against protesting in toto--it's a case-by-case concern. Secondly, I daresay you and I have very different views of the marketplace of ideas. To me, a marketplace of ideas means everything and anything, including something as wretched as the teachings of the KKK, is welcome at the "table"--I, as a free-thinking individual, will sort through the offerings and affiliate myself with what I find philosophically/ethically/scientifically etc. sound and simply disregard the rest. I will happily express my opinion of why I find a given belief/theory/agenda etc. to be faulty, but I will not fight to suppress it. If I participate in organized protest against something, I am working to suppress it, to in effect remove it from the marketplace "table". In terms of a situation that directly or indirectly affects my rights as a human being (e.g. the Congressional intervention in the Terry Schiavo case), I have a right to work toward suppression of the opposing point of view, but in the case of any film's exhibition, my rights are not being contrained or subverted, so if I protest it, I work against the marketplace of ideas, not for it.
Old 03-24-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Re: Religion vs. Science. We just have to give Christians a few centuries to catch up with reality. after all it wasn't until the early 1990s that the Catholic church finally exonerated Galileo for his heresy in suggesting that the Earth was not the center of the universe.
That was just a paperwork decision that Galeleo was exonerated so late...the Vatican has run astronomical observatories for centuries.

BTW...you DO realize that if these are 'Southern' theaters, then they are most definatly not pandering to Catholics, right?
Old 03-25-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Imax for doing your part to keep people ignorant.

Same sort of mentality that is resposible for bible shows on the History Channel.

Marching boldly into the 16th century.
Old 03-25-05, 11:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
What's wrong with Bible Shows on the History Channel? A lot of the them are quite interesting, and a welcome break from the usual Nazi shows.
Old 03-25-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
BTW...you DO realize that if these are 'Southern' theaters, then they are most definatly not pandering to Catholics, right?
Yes I do realize that. I was just using the Galileo case as an example of how denial of science is common amongst all religious fanatics.
Old 03-25-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Groucho
What's wrong with Bible Shows on the History Channel? A lot of the them are quite interesting, and a welcome break from the usual Nazi shows.
I just wish they'd combine the two more often.
Old 03-25-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by Damfino
Yes I do realize that. I was just using the Galileo case as an example of how denial of science is common amongst all religious fanatics.
Common, or common over half a milennium ago?
Old 03-25-05, 03:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by BizRodian
I just wish they'd combine the two more often.
I actually saw a show on there where they talked about Biblical Prophecies that predicted Hitler. It reminded me of the guy in PCU who finds the movie that stars both Michael Caine and Gene Hackman.
Old 03-25-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Common, or common over half a milennium ago?
Common then and common now.