Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Highest Death Count in a Family Film? (spoilers, enter at your own risk)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Highest Death Count in a Family Film? (spoilers, enter at your own risk)

Old 03-20-05, 03:16 PM
  #1  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Highest Death Count in a Family Film? (spoilers, enter at your own risk)

I bought The Incredibles as a blind buy on Tuesday, and watched it for the first time. Great movie, but I was a bit surprised by how many deaths are in the film:
Spoiler:
Syndrome kills off several supers, several henchmen bite it, and of course several cape-related mishaps
I didn't keep count, but is it possible that this the family film with the most deaths? What holds the record?
Old 03-20-05, 03:31 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Raccoon City, OR
Posts: 1,721
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about the first scene in Finding Nemo?

Spoiler:
Almost the entire family is killed!


Pixar's obviously on a death kick...
Old 03-20-05, 03:43 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,864
Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Probably a couple billion on Alderaan when it was blown up in Star Wars.
Old 03-20-05, 03:46 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is Star Wars really a "family film" though?
Old 03-20-05, 03:56 PM
  #5  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Forgot all about Finding Nemo, good call. Not sure I'd really call Star Wars a "family film."
Old 03-20-05, 03:59 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 8,085
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transformers: The Movie
Old 03-20-05, 04:17 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 34,087
Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
I'd say Mulan. That avalanche she created took out most of the Huns.


Last edited by devilshalo; 03-20-05 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-20-05, 04:18 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 34,087
Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by cheapskate
What about the first scene in Finding Nemo?

Spoiler:
Almost the entire family is killed!


Pixar's obviously on a death kick...
I took it that she left with the kids. Not that they had died at the hands of the barracuda.
Old 03-20-05, 04:22 PM
  #9  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
I took it that she left with the kids. Not that they had died at the hands of the barracuda.
Wow, that's an...interesting...interpretation.
Old 03-20-05, 04:42 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Raccoon City, OR
Posts: 1,721
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
I took it that she left with the kids. Not that they had died at the hands of the barracuda.
Are you renting your movies at CleanFlixs?

Where Soylent Green is
Spoiler:
Pine Sol!
Old 03-20-05, 04:46 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Atlantis has quite a few people die.
Old 03-20-05, 05:01 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 761
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disney's live action The Three Mustateers (1993) had a lot of violence and death for a PG film, including many many sword stabbings.
Old 03-20-05, 05:09 PM
  #13  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 23,606
Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Not sure I'd really call Star Wars a "family film."
Really? I saw it when I was 10 with the family.

I guess maybe it is more of a guy film.
Old 03-20-05, 05:13 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mondo Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 11,661
Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
1981's Legend of the Lone Ranger has an extremely high bodycount.
Old 03-20-05, 05:14 PM
  #15  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
1981's Legend of the Lone Ranger has an extremely high bodycount.
While it was supposed to be a family film, I saw it as a kid and was bored to tears.
Old 03-20-05, 05:22 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 23,510
Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
I think Revenge of the Sith will have the highest on screen body count of any family film this year.

I remember seeing Legend of the Lone Ranger as a kid and being shocked at all the shoot 'em up action in it, even though I was expecting it and warned by my dad. Then after that was over I got bored to tears as well!
Old 03-20-05, 05:23 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 34,087
Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by cheapskate
Are you renting your movies at CleanFlixs?

Where Soylent Green is
Spoiler:
Pine Sol!
Where is it shown or said that she and/or the eggs died? Marlin get's knocked out after being swatted by the barracuda's tail. Everything after that is speculation. Barracuda wouldn't waste their time eating fish eggs. I always thought the issue was about abandonment, which is why he's so careful about Nemo.
Old 03-20-05, 05:38 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,656
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by devilshalo
Where is it shown or said that she and/or the eggs died? Marlin get's knocked out after being swatted by the barracuda's tail. Everything after that is speculation. Barracuda wouldn't waste their time eating fish eggs. I always thought the issue was about abandonment, which is why he's so careful about Nemo.
I think you are really reaching here. It is overtly implied that she was killed, along with all but one of the eggs (which had a puncture, presumably from sharp teeth). If she left temporarily to save the eggs, why didn't she come back?
Old 03-20-05, 05:41 PM
  #19  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 49,398
Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Is Star Wars really a "family film" though?
how could it not be, when parents are taking toddlers, it's PG, and it makes billions. it wasn't just from sci-fi geeks seeing it 30x, friends!
Old 03-20-05, 05:51 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
I think you are really reaching here. It is overtly implied that she was killed, along with all but one of the eggs (which had a puncture, presumably from sharp teeth). If she left temporarily to save the eggs, why didn't she come back?
Yeah, i can't imagine anyone taking another perspective on the opening scene. It's all pretty straightforward to me.

I'm not sure i would consider Star Wars a family film either, despite the large amount of people that have watched it young.
Old 03-20-05, 06:50 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 34,087
Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
I think you are really reaching here. It is overtly implied that she was killed, along with all but one of the eggs (which had a puncture, presumably from sharp teeth). If she left temporarily to save the eggs, why didn't she come back?
Maybe it's the ichthyologist in me. Barracuda won't reach into a cave that was barely bigger than Marlin and Coral for some eggs. In my mind, Coral went into a panic and wanted to take her eggs and vamoose, that was her motherly instinct. I never saw it was a temporary thing that she left. She took her eggs and ran as far as she could. Maybe she thought Marlin had died and one life didn't equate to the 400 (or 399 in the case that Nemo was left behind) I thought the scratch was maybe done in the hurry to leave, he just happened to fall out and hit some sharp piece of reef.

In any case, everything is speculative. I'm watching it right now and see no clear cut SHE'S DEAD, JIM moment. In his brief search for her, he came across Nemo and maybe thought it was better to let her go and raise the weak one left behind. And it was more of a scratch than a puncture.

Y'all are just some bloodthirsty peeps

Last edited by devilshalo; 03-20-05 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-20-05, 06:51 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 34,087
Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm not sure i would consider Star Wars a family film either, despite the large amount of people that have watched it young.
Aw c'mon.. Star Wars was rated PG... JAWS was rated PG. Two fun family films.
Old 03-20-05, 07:03 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
how could it not be, when parents are taking toddlers, it's PG, and it makes billions. it wasn't just from sci-fi geeks seeing it 30x, friends!
Parents took their kids to see The Passion of the Christ. Would you call that a family film? Just because its PG rated, doesn't make it a family film.
Old 03-20-05, 07:05 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,656
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by devilshalo
Maybe it's the ichthyologist in me. Barracuda won't reach into a cave that was barely bigger than Marlin and Coral for some eggs. In my mind, Coral went into a panic and wanted to take her eggs and vamoose, that was her motherly instinct. I never saw it was a temporary thing that she left. She took her eggs and ran as far as she could. Maybe she thought Marlin had died and one life didn't equate to the 400 (or 399 in the case that Nemo was left behind) I thought the scratch was maybe done in the hurry to leave, he just happened to fall out and hit some sharp piece of reef.

In any case, everything is speculative. I'm watching it right now and see no clear cut SHE'S DEAD, JIM moment. In his brief search for her, he came across Nemo and maybe thought it was better to let her go and raise the weak one left behind. And it was more of a scratch than a puncture.

Y'all are just some bloodthirsty peeps
OK (fish behavior aside), by your reasoning, you can't prove that Jeff Daniels died in Speed either. We saw the house explode, but we never really saw him burn and die. He could have dived into the fireplace and been saved. Then ran as far away as he could, to avoid being targeted by Dennis Hopper again. But the rest of the movie really wouldn't have worked if we all still thought he was still alive. That was the turning point for Keanu, so the death served a purpose, just like in Finding Nemo.

Of course all of it speculative, almost every movie has story points that aren't explained explicitly, but the point of what they are trying to accomplish is what counts. Marlin's fishwife wasn't shown to die directly by the barracuda (because it is a family film), but the implication that she died and what happens to Marlin because of it is what is important to the rest of the film. I don't think the film would work the same if it was implied that she had just decided to take off with almost all the kids, only because she was scared.
Old 03-20-05, 07:06 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,521
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by devilshalo
Maybe it's the ichthyologist in me. Barracuda won't reach into a cave that was barely bigger than Marlin and Coral for some eggs.
Fish don't talk, either.

I think you're living in deep denial. Tell us about your childhood.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.