Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Highest Death Count in a Family Film? (spoilers, enter at your own risk)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Highest Death Count in a Family Film? (spoilers, enter at your own risk)

Old 03-20-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 745 Likes on 545 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
OK (fish behavior aside), by your reasoning, you can't prove that Jeff Daniels died in Speed either. We saw the house explode, but we never really saw him burn and die. He could have dived into the fireplace and been saved. Then ran as far away as he could, to avoid being targeted by Dennis Hopper again. But the rest of the movie really wouldn't have worked if we all still thought he was still alive. That was the turning point for Keanu, so the death served a purpose, just like in Finding Nemo.

Of course all of it speculative, almost every movie has story points that aren't explained explicitly, but the point of what they are trying to accomplish is what counts. Marlin's fishwife wasn't shown to die directly by the barracuda (because it is a family film), but the implication that she died and what happens to Marlin because of it is what is important to the rest of the film. I don't think the film would work the same if it was implied that she had just decided to take off with almost all the kids, only because she was scared.
Stop raping my childhood, you big bully. I'm gonna cry now.
Old 03-20-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old 03-20-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FinkPish
You are a cold cold bastard.
Old 03-20-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

I'm sure Noah would agree
Old 03-20-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts
Once again, we are in need of a working definition of our topic before we can truly answer the question at hand.
Old 03-20-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we're ever told that Bambi's mom died either. I just watched the movie for the first time the day it came out on dvd (loved it by the way) but now I can't really remember the circumstances. If I remember correctly Bambi's dad just says that his mother can't be with him anymore. She might have just freaked out and ran until she reached a wildlife preserve and lived happily ever after. In any event, Coral and all the eggs besides Nemo were eaten by the barracuda. Marlin is so protective of him because he already lost his wife and 399 of of his children so obviously he doesn't want to lose the last remaining member of his family. I can't imgaine interpreting it any other way.
Old 03-21-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whoopdido
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we're ever told that Bambi's mom died either. I just watched the movie for the first time the day it came out on dvd (loved it by the way) but now I can't really remember the circumstances. If I remember correctly Bambi's dad just says that his mother can't be with him anymore. She might have just freaked out and ran until she reached a wildlife preserve and lived happily ever after. In any event, Coral and all the eggs besides Nemo were eaten by the barracuda. Marlin is so protective of him because he already lost his wife and 399 of of his children so obviously he doesn't want to lose the last remaining member of his family. I can't imgaine interpreting it any other way.

I concur.
Old 03-21-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the winner is Disney's Herbie the Love Bug with a Suitcase Nuke in the Trunk. Starring Fred MacMurray and Don Knotts.
Old 03-21-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
Maybe it's the ichthyologist in me. Barracuda won't reach into a cave that was barely bigger than Marlin and Coral for some eggs. In my mind, Coral went into a panic and wanted to take her eggs and vamoose, that was her motherly instinct.

Okay scientifically you have a problem with a baracuda chasing a fish for prey into a cave and eating the eggs it finds in there as well. But you have no problem with a clown fish gathering up all of her eggs and moving becasue of a close call with a predator?!

I admit that icthyology was not my main field of interest, but I am pretty sure that clown fish do not have the capacity to move their eggs after deposit. Not to mention the whole talking and reasoning thing.
Old 03-21-05, 10:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cusm
I admit that icthyology was not my main field of interest, but I am pretty sure that clown fish do not have the capacity to move their eggs after deposit.
Well, one clown fish, sure. But what about two clown fish? They could string the eggs along some seaweed, held under the dorsal guiding fin.
Old 03-21-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cusm
Okay scientifically you have a problem with a baracuda chasing a fish for prey into a cave and eating the eggs it finds in there as well. But you have no problem with a clown fish gathering up all of her eggs and moving becasue of a close call with a predator?!

I admit that icthyology was not my main field of interest, but I am pretty sure that clown fish do not have the capacity to move their eggs after deposit. Not to mention the whole talking and reasoning thing.
How much time elapsed between Marlin first getting knocked out and waking up to find everyone gone?

Maybe Coral made a few trips all the while thinking Marlin was eaten? Maybe some other things came by and ate the eggs? Or maybe the barracuda could have poked it's snout in and ate the eggs? Either way the story still worked for me whether Coral had died or just abandoned Marlin and Nemo.

Anyways, if she and the eggs died that equals 400 fish.. now how many Huns got buried in that avalanche?
Old 03-21-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Castle in the Sky (Laputa). Mega-huge body count.
Old 03-21-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gee, from reading this thread it appears that Finding Nemo is the big screen equivalent of Itchy & Scratchy.
Old 03-21-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Is Star Wars really a "family film" though?
I wouldn't say the originals were aimed at adults. The new films definitely aren't.
Old 03-21-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
The Ten Commandments

Rated G
Old 03-21-05, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack's Smirking
Well, one clown fish, sure. But what about two clown fish? They could string the eggs along some seaweed, held under the dorsal guiding fin.

Well you've got the grip, but you're right back at the weight/mass issue.

And I always thought the mother and eggs were eaten. The film is cheap without that. It's like telling kids Fluffy or Fido are going to "take a long nap".
No, it needs to be the Mr.Hooper/Big Bird issue.