Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who really deserved (or didn't) the Oscar for Best Picture??

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Who really deserved (or didn't) the Oscar for Best Picture??

Old 03-19-05, 11:07 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: A National Park
Posts: 4,964
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who really deserved (or didn't) the Oscar for Best Picture??

This is in no way a thread to start an argument, but I have a report due on "Who did or didnt deserve the Oscar for Best Picture." The problem is, I havent seen all the movies that were nominated because theyre not out for rent yet (Ive just seen Ray), I do plan on seeing them when theyre out, but my dumb teacher I guess expects us to have seen all the nominated films. So can you guys help me out on the question Who did or didnt deserve the Oscar for Best Picture? Ive been reading reviews but none were really in depth enough to do a comparison. So help me out, heres the nominees

BEST PICTURE

THE AVIATOR
FINDING NEVERLAND
MILLION DOLLAR BABY (The Winner)
RAY
SIDEWAYS

Though I havent seen it, I was leaning towards The Aviator because Martin Scorcese is the shit and Im a sucker for aviation related films.
Old 03-19-05, 11:28 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 8,466
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ravenous
This is in no way a thread to start an argument, but I have a report due on "Who did or didnt deserve the Oscar for Best Picture." The problem is, I havent seen all the movies that were nominated because theyre not out for rent yet (Ive just seen Ray), I do plan on seeing them when theyre out, but my dumb teacher I guess expects us to have seen all the nominated films. So can you guys help me out on the question Who did or didnt deserve the Oscar for Best Picture? Ive been reading reviews but none were really in depth enough to do a comparison. So help me out, heres the nominees

BEST PICTURE

THE AVIATOR
FINDING NEVERLAND
MILLION DOLLAR BABY (The Winner)
RAY
SIDEWAYS

Though I havent seen it, I was leaning towards The Aviator because Martin Scorcese is the shit and Im a sucker for aviation related films.
Why does it matter if a teacher expects you to see them all? (Is this something for a film class?)

Oh and the right picture, director, actress, and supporting actor won.
Old 03-19-05, 11:34 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,521
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ravenous
Though I havent seen it, I was leaning towards The Aviator because Martin Scorcese is the shit and Im a sucker for aviation related films.
Go with that well-thought-out and articulate argument, in those exact words, and let us know what your teacher says.
Old 03-19-05, 11:38 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too bad you couldn't do it for 1998. That is an easy one, "Saving Private Ryan" should've won.
Old 03-19-05, 11:46 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Boise
Posts: 3,371
Likes: 0
Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Too bad you couldn't do it for 1998. That is an easy one, "Saving Private Ryan" should've won.
Wholeheartedly disagree. Saving Private Ryan was an average film (at best) with a technically amazing battle sequence. A battle sequence which by the way had just about nothing to do with the story of the film. For its story, it used heavy handed attempts at patriotism and trite situations. Oh look, the film starts and end on the US flag, and aren't those military brass so articulate to be quoting a letter from Abraham Lincoln about the loss of a soldier. Blech. Spielberg may have made a technically impressive film, but he blew it in terms of stroytelling, the thing that he is supposed to be a master at.

Shakespeare In Love might not have been everyone's cup of tea or been about something as heavy as WWII, but it was overall a great film that hit all the right notes in terms of story, dialogue, acting and directing. In my opinion, it deserved the title of "best picture" over SPR.
Old 03-19-05, 11:59 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 746
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sherm42
Shakespeare In Love might not have been everyone's cup of tea or been about something as heavy as WWII, but it was overall a great film that hit all the right notes in terms of story, dialogue, acting and directing. In my opinion, it deserved the title of "best picture" over SPR.
I was quite ecstatic that SIL won, and I think it totally deserved it. Saving Private Ryan was a great movie, but I also felt it was far too easy of a movie to do well, if that makes sense. In other words, once they made the decision to begin the movie with a long recreation of the beach battle at Normandy and once they settled on their technical approach, they would've had to try to make it NOT fantastic. And, as sherm42 said, the non-battle scenes were, at best, a little lacking, and definitely not the reason that movie was so successful. Shakespeare in Love, on the other hand, did not have such an easy premise; therefore, it's ultimate successful execution is that much more impressive.
Old 03-20-05, 12:12 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mondo Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 11,661
Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
The Color Purple-I still haven't seen a better made drama from Speilberg yet.
Old 03-20-05, 12:52 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 8,466
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Empire Of The Sun-I still haven't seen a better made drama from Speilberg yet.



I totally agree. (except I do love Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan)
Old 03-20-05, 12:59 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 12,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wanted Marty...but the right people won, because that is what the majority picked...I would write it from that angle.
Old 03-20-05, 08:49 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 2nd City
Posts: 1,269
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way to help out the OP, guys!

This seems like a strange assignment even for a film class because the choice of Best Picture is purely subjective. There is no right answer. If the teacher wants you to "compare and contrast" the films, you are probably going to have to actually see them. The whole Best Picture thing is REALLY Hollywood patting itself on the back for another lackluster year of movie-making. Some years the "best picture" wins and other years, it doesn't.

Yeah, I'm sorry, no help here either....
Old 03-20-05, 09:54 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 25,802
Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
[QUOTE=Cameron]I wanted Marty...QUOTE]

IT'S A CONSPIRACY, MAAANNN. The Academy is now just toying with Scorcese. It's no longer a matter of "we'll give him an oscar, since he's been snubbed so many time". Now it's "we're going to make him kiss our feet, and push him to make that picture every two years ... BEGGING on his hands and knees for that Oscar".

If you're writing a paper on it, go for The Aviator. You can still catch it in some theaters. And, due to the talent involved, it's probably the most subjective. You have a cast and crew with quite a bit previous Oscar expierence, a filmmaker that's already a staple in American cinema (and will be considered "legendary" in 50 years), and it's just that grand December Miramax movie that the Academy usually eats up. Scorsese is an interesting guy to boot.
Old 03-20-05, 10:31 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 30,012
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Million Dollar Baby deserved to win. Tell your teacher "because movielib said so."
Old 03-20-05, 10:54 AM
  #13  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 49,365
Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
It should have been "Dawn of the Dead" (2004)...no other movie was as entertaining last year!
Old 03-20-05, 11:24 AM
  #14  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 13,895
Received 1,877 Likes on 1,110 Posts
What about "Shaun of the Dead," scott1598?

My pick was "Sideways," but MDB was a very close second.
Old 03-20-05, 11:35 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 25,802
Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Oh, and you could bash your teacher for placing importance on the Oscars, assuming that he does. In my opinion, they're artistically worthless. But that's just me...

You could also research and write about the BO boost that oscar nominees get, simply from Oscar buzz.

What I'm trying to say is that they need to let Rob Schneider vote.
Old 03-20-05, 11:53 AM
  #16  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 49,365
Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
Originally Posted by dogmatica
What about "Shaun of the Dead," scott1598?

My pick was "Sideways," but MDB was a very close second.
well, i was just kidding of course. but, i just saw Shaun last night and while it was great, i loved the DotD remake.
Old 03-20-05, 01:32 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Garden State should have won. But out of the nominees the Academy got it right.
Old 03-20-05, 02:13 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 3,381
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm still surprised at:

GANDHI over E.T.

and

ANNIE HALL over STAR WARS - Say what you will, but STAR WARS was more of a cinematic achievement over ANNIE HALL and surely deserved more Awards than it got.
Old 03-20-05, 02:46 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,535
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was an Annie Hall in '77?

Never seen it or heard of it.


Saving Private Ryan will also be long remember instead of that other piece of crap...what was it?

Its only been 7 years and all I can remember is that whats her name actress was in it.

Last edited by FiveO; 03-20-05 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-20-05, 02:57 PM
  #20  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
We've been through this before, but Annie Hall is superior to Star Wars in every way (except sound and SFX). And this is coming from a Star Wars fan.

I disagree that ET > Gandhi too, but not as strongly. Both are better than the other nominees. Missing? The Verdict? TOOTSIE?!?

Last edited by Groucho; 03-20-05 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-20-05, 05:21 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,521
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by troystiffler
Oh, and you could bash your teacher for placing importance on the Oscars, assuming that he does.
The problem is, we really don't know what the nature of the assignment actually is. Is this for a film class, discussing the artistic merits of various films? Or could it be for an English or debate class in which the point is to learn how to argue a particular point, and the Oscars are just a fun way of doing that?

That said, I'm not interested in being Ravenous' homework bitch.
Old 03-20-05, 05:27 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 4,551
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is easy. The answer is Million Dollar Baby. Why? Because the movie that deserves to win the Oscar is the one the Academy votes to give it to. As if there's some objective answer to what should be best picture.

It'd make a lot more sense to ask what do you think was the best picture of last year, rather then writing a paper saying how the academy member's opinions are wrong.
Old 03-20-05, 05:57 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
You can probably get some good opinions on each of the films, and how "deserving" they were by digging up threads on the actual Oscars discussion as well as any when the nominations came out, since it seems people here don't want to help when they know it's helping
Old 03-20-05, 06:49 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 3,381
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
We've been through this before, but Annie Hall is superior to Star Wars in every way (except sound and SFX). And this is coming from a Star Wars fan.

I disagree that ET > Gandhi too, but not as strongly. Both are better than the other nominees. Missing? The Verdict? TOOTSIE?!?


That's a sound argument, but I don't agree with ANNIE HALL being superior to Star Wars in every way.

To me, STAR WARS is THE WIZARD OF OZ of my generation. It's just my personal opinion that STAR WARS is still the one movie that had the MOST impact in the late '70's, especially 1977.

I'm a fan of Woody Allen's 1970's works, but when I think of 1977, I think of STAR WARS not ANNIE HALL.

Last edited by jeffkjoe; 03-20-05 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-20-05, 07:24 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,422
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
I'm still surprised at:

GANDHI over E.T.

and

ANNIE HALL over STAR WARS - Say what you will, but STAR WARS was more of a cinematic achievement over ANNIE HALL and surely deserved more Awards than it got.
Gandhi is a good, but not great movie. I think it won however because of the subject matter more than anything cinematic. Face it, that was an amazing man with an almost religious impact on the world. (I always say if someone wants to know what Jesus was really like in real life, look at Gandhi. If Gandhi had lived 1000 years ago, he would be a religion now, no doubt in my mind on that.)

As for 1977, there were two great, soon-to-be-classic movies nominated that year, so barring a tie, one had to lose. Just be glad Star Wars lost to Annie Hall instead of one of the other, non-classic nominees (The Goodbye Girl, Julia, or The Turning Point)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.