DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What's up with all the upcoming movies being remakes or sequels? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/414845-whats-up-all-upcoming-movies-being-remakes-sequels.html)

Trigger 03-19-05 06:18 AM

What's up with all the upcoming movies being remakes or sequels?

It's been like this in the past, but never this bad. I went to the movies tonight and every single poster and standee they had up was for a remake or a sequel.

This is what the posters were... no joke
Guess Who?
Amityville Horror
Aeon Flux
The Ring 2
The Longest Yard
The Pink Panther
War of the Worlds
Batman Begins
Miss Congeniality 2

Not to mention movies like Bad News Bears, Dark Water, House of Wax, Herbie, Son of the Mask, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Oceans 12... and others I'm sure.

Anyone else annoyed by this at all? Was there some sort of strike in Hollywood that we're just now feeling the effects of?

The Infidel 03-19-05 06:33 AM

Hollywood is running out of original ideas...at least ones that will actually either sell, or that haven't been done already in some other form.

Giantrobo 03-19-05 07:19 AM

When Hollywood has original ideas or tries to do something different the nutcases on the Net give them shit.

scott shelton 03-19-05 08:36 AM

Point taken.

But wouldn't these just be considered new adaptations?

Originally Posted by Trigger
Amityville Horror
Aeon Flux
War of the Worlds

Michael Corvin 03-19-05 09:14 AM

Nothing new. It is the same about every other year.

[officer Barbrady]Move along. There's nothing to see here.[/officer Barbrady]

Jackskeleton 03-19-05 09:35 AM

Don't we have one of these threads every few months? It's nothing new and you are just thinking of it as different, but it's really all the same.

Giantrobo 03-19-05 09:41 AM

Making remakes and sequels is nothing new to Hollywood. Sometimes movies were remade or adapted just a few years later back in the 30's and 40's.

LorenzoL 03-19-05 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

[officer Barbrady]Move along. There's nothing to see here.[/officer Barbrady]

What Michael Corvin said.

Hendrik 03-19-05 10:59 AM

It's been like this in the past, but never this bad. I went to the movies tonight and every single poster and standee they had up was for a remake or a sequel.

This is what the posters were... no joke
Guess Who?
Amityville Horror
Aeon Flux
The Ring 2
The Longest Yard
The Pink Panther
War of the Worlds
Batman Begins
Miss Congeniality 2

Not to mention movies like Bad News Bears, Dark Water, House of Wax, Herbie, Son of the Mask, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Oceans 12... and others I'm sure.

Anyone else annoyed by this at all? Was there some sort of strike in Hollywood that we're just now feeling the effects of?

...erm... MGM's "Ben-Hur" (1959) was a remake of MGM's "Ben-Hur" (1925) / MGM's "Mutiny On The Bounty" (1962) was a remake of MGM's "Mutiny On The Bounty" (1935) / MGM's "Father's Little Dividend" (1951) was a sequel to MGM's "Father Of The Bride" (1950), and was like as not made to cash in on the earlier movie's huge success worldwide / Hitchcock's "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (1956) was a remake of Hitchcock's "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (1934) / Cecil B. DeMille's "The Ten Commandments" (1956) was a remake of DeMille's "The Ten Commandments" (1923)... and on... and on... and on... nothing new under the sun...

. . . :o . . .

Trigger 03-19-05 02:32 PM

Geez - whatever... I said it's been like this before in the first post. I realize it's nothing new... however, this is the first time I've seen where every single poster at the theater was a remake or a sequel. That's gotta be a new low, right? Or can you guys produce an old thread where this has happened before to this magnitude? If you can, I'm fine with this thread being merged.

Michael Corvin 03-19-05 02:38 PM

Trigger, I don't know the year but I was thinking the same thing probably 2 years ago but it is hard to tell now.

RyoHazuki 03-19-05 02:38 PM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412777

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398469

Yes, remakes exist. Yes, Hollwood is out of ideas. No, they're not gonna stop unless people stop paying to go see them.

Trigger 03-19-05 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412777

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398469

Yes, remakes exist. Yes, Hollwood is out of ideas. No, they're not gonna stop unless people stop paying to go see them.

Those two threads are smililar to each other, but neither are the same as this one. This thread was more about the moment in time when I saw every single poster lined up at a theater being for either a sequel or a remake. It was a surreal moment. I would've expected at least one poster to be of one of the few upcoming movies that isn't a sequel or remake. I mean - I've been alive for 31 years and have been into movies since I was 5... I'm fully aware that hollywood has been doing this for decades.

jfoobar 03-19-05 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Also agree. I suspct there are probably thousands of promising, original scripts floating around Hollywood that no one will green light or even give the time of day. Too bad.

deepDepression 03-19-05 02:55 PM

has anyone notised that also movies coming out now are kinda... on the lame side for the most part like un scarie... stupid almost? I mean it could be me but still I mean yeah almost everything is based on a book... its getting boring

TheNightFlier 03-19-05 04:11 PM

Amityville Horror
Aeon Flux
The Ring 2
The Longest Yard
The Pink Panther
War of the Worlds
Batman Begins
Miss Congeniality 2

Miss Congeniality 2??? :whofart:

jaeufraser 03-19-05 05:02 PM

Those two threads are smililar to each other, but neither are the same as this one. This thread was more about the moment in time when I saw every single poster lined up at a theater being for either a sequel or a remake. It was a surreal moment. I would've expected at least one poster to be of one of the few upcoming movies that isn't a sequel or remake. I mean - I've been alive for 31 years and have been into movies since I was 5... I'm fully aware that hollywood has been doing this for decades.

Maybe it's just the theater you went to. It's not like every movie coming out this year actually is a remake or a sequel, it just so happens the theater you went to only had posters for remakes and sequels. Had they put up a poster for Kingdom of Heaven, The Interpreter, King's Ransom, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, House of Wax, Madagascar, Mindhunters, A Sound of Thunder, Cinderella Man, Lords of Dogtown, Mr and Mrs Smith, The Island, The Weather Man, The Brothers Grimm, Elizabethtown...ok I'll stop, but I'm sure you get my point.

You just happened to stumble on a theater that had posters for just remakes and sequels. This could've happened last year, 5 years ago, 10 years ago. But it happened to you this year. I can't really say the magnitude is that much different. I will agree that a lot of the higher profile, big budget films are falling into this category and these are the ones that fall into this category. But it's not that big a difference from any other recent year.

RyoHazuki 03-19-05 05:09 PM

House of Wax is a remake.

Trigger 03-19-05 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
Miss Congeniality 2??? :whofart:

did I spell it wrong?

Trigger 03-19-05 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Maybe it's just the theater you went to. It's not like every movie coming out this year actually is a remake or a sequel, it just so happens the theater you went to only had posters for remakes and sequels. Had they put up a poster for Kingdom of Heaven, The Interpreter, King's Ransom, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, House of Wax, Madagascar, Mindhunters, A Sound of Thunder, Cinderella Man, Lords of Dogtown, Mr and Mrs Smith, The Island, The Weather Man, The Brothers Grimm, Elizabethtown...ok I'll stop, but I'm sure you get my point.

You just happened to stumble on a theater that had posters for just remakes and sequels. This could've happened last year, 5 years ago, 10 years ago. But it happened to you this year. I can't really say the magnitude is that much different. I will agree that a lot of the higher profile, big budget films are falling into this category and these are the ones that fall into this category. But it's not that big a difference from any other recent year.

Yeah - House of Wax is a remake. Out of those others you listed though, very few of them are from fresh or original ideas... but yeah - I get your point.

I was just remarking on a moment I experienced at a local theater. I'm aware that different theaters carry different posters. Still... it's pretty weird to see 9 posters all lined up that are all rehashed crap. It was a sign to me that things have hit a new low. I mean, there's always been sequels and remakes since forever, but there's always been a balance of new ideas combined with old. This was just a bunch of recycled crap. And theoretically, there's only so many original ideas... so few in fact that everything new has already been done... in theory.

TheNightFlier 03-19-05 05:34 PM

did I spell it wrong?

:lol:

I mean I had so many unanswered questions after Miss Congeniality 1, of course we need a sequel ;)

Trigger 03-19-05 05:37 PM

:lol:

I mean I had so many unanswered questions after Miss Congeniality 1, of course we need a sequel ;)

Oh, I know, right? It's like the best idea since Legally Blonde 2.

TheNightFlier 03-19-05 05:42 PM

Oh, I know, right? It's like the best idea since Legally Blonde 2.

I don't have a problem with stuff like Batman Begins (which I can't wait to see), War of the Worlds..etc

It's the pointless sequels of movies that are all tied up nice and neat at the end. And remakes of movies that weren't all that popular when they came out 10-20 years ago.

Trigger 03-19-05 05:44 PM

Ok - I tried to convince you this thread was original - and to me, it was... but it's clear you guys aren't buying it. So I'll let this thread become its own irony - a thread about remakes and sequels turns out to be a rehash of previous threads.

Trigger 03-19-05 05:46 PM

I don't have a problem with stuff like Batman Begins (which I can't wait to see), War of the Worlds..etc

It's the pointless sequels of movies that are all tied up nice and neat at the end. And remakes of movies that weren't all that popular when they came out 10-20 years ago.

Someone should start a petition to hollywood to have them drop the price of movies by 3 bucks or something until they start bringing up the quality of their films again. Looking at the oscar nominees for the past year or two was pretty sad IMO - not to mention all the crap they shoveled.