Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's up with all the upcoming movies being remakes or sequels?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What's up with all the upcoming movies being remakes or sequels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-05, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to 5 years ago.
Old 03-19-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aeon Flux is not a remake.
Old 03-19-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
I don't have a problem with stuff like Batman Begins (which I can't wait to see), War of the Worlds..etc

It's the pointless sequels of movies that are all tied up nice and neat at the end. And remakes of movies that weren't all that popular when they came out 10-20 years ago.
But if we are going to be critical of remakes and sequels, shouldn’t we criticize them all? I mean what is the point of either one of these? Yes I know we look forward to these and others (Superman, Xmen3, etc) but a sequel is a sequel and just as unoriginal whether or not we want it or not.
Old 03-20-05, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
I was just remarking on a moment I experienced at a local theater. I'm aware that different theaters carry different posters. Still... it's pretty weird to see 9 posters all lined up that are all rehashed crap.
Wow, even by DVDTalk standards this has got to be a new low. Now we can tell just from the posters and standups that a movie is "rehashed crap"? Why even bother going to see movies any more because apparently we all know before we see them how they are going to be.
Old 03-20-05, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
But if we are going to be critical of remakes and sequels, shouldn’t we criticize them all? I mean what is the point of either one of these?
What's the point? Mindless entertainment perhaps? Seems simple, but especially in the summer, which is when War of the Worlds and Batman Begins come out, that brings in the people.

I personally don't care how deep a movie is, how original it is, or whether it's supposed to reveal to me the secret of life. Sure those are great things to have in a movie and I love those kind of movies too. But I mostly want to be entertained. Some people ripped on Ocean's 11 as being a fluffy remake, but so what? I enjoyed it and apparently millions of others did too. Isn't one of the points of making films in the first place? Entertainment?
Old 03-20-05, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by badger1997
Wow, even by DVDTalk standards this has got to be a new low. Now we can tell just from the posters and standups that a movie is "rehashed crap"? Why even bother going to see movies any more because apparently we all know before we see them how they are going to be.
c'mon - I didn't mean it like that... I have no idea if they're gonna be good movies or not. There's a few of em that I'm looking forward to. I'm saying rehashed crap because I'd like to see something new and fresh and good rather than have hollywood going back to the same well over and over. Guess I deserve being called on that one though - I'm one of the biggest nags about people crapping on movies that aren't even out yet. So... touche.
Old 03-20-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1997
What's the point? Mindless entertainment perhaps? Seems simple, but especially in the summer, which is when War of the Worlds and Batman Begins come out, that brings in the people.

I personally don't care how deep a movie is, how original it is, or whether it's supposed to reveal to me the secret of life. Sure those are great things to have in a movie and I love those kind of movies too. But I mostly want to be entertained. Some people ripped on Ocean's 11 as being a fluffy remake, but so what? I enjoyed it and apparently millions of others did too. Isn't one of the points of making films in the first place? Entertainment?
I agree...I was just pointing out that a number of times around here we criticize sequels and remakes we dont want to see while some of the movies we are most looking forward to are actually a remake or a sequel.

When I go see a movie, I want a movie to entertain me or I want a movie that will make me think or feel something. If a movie can do that or both, then it doesnt matter to me if its original, a remake, or a sequel. Ill take a decent sequel or remake to a shitty original movie anyday.
Old 03-20-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
But if we are going to be critical of remakes and sequels, shouldn’t we criticize them all? I mean what is the point of either one of these? Yes I know we look forward to these and others (Superman, Xmen3, etc) but a sequel is a sequel and just as unoriginal whether or not we want it or not.
It's the pointless sequels; ie Miss Congeniality 2 or Legally Blonde 2. The movies that were all tied up nice and neat at the end, then the studios saw that they could milk a little bit more out of them due to the box office. I'm sure the demand for Miss Congeniality 2 was overwhelming.

I'm not going to criticize Be Cool, Batman Begins, X-Men 3, etc, they all have their stories already written for them in novels and comics. It isn't the studio execs and writers pulling stuff out of their collective asses to throw up on the screen for a quick buck.
Old 03-20-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
It's the pointless sequels; ie Miss Congeniality 2 or Legally Blonde 2. The movies that were all tied up nice and neat at the end, then the studios saw that they could milk a little bit more out of them due to the box office.
Toy Story was tied up nice and neat at the end, so does that mean Toy Story 2 doesn't have a right to exist? How about Star Wars? How about Alien, Terminator, Evil Dead, Before Sunrise, Die Hard, or Lethal Weapon?

It doesn't matter how "tied up" the original storyline was, as long as the sequel is actually good.

I'm not going to criticize Be Cool, Batman Begins, X-Men 3, etc, they all have their stories already written for them in novels and comics. It isn't the studio execs and writers pulling stuff out of their collective asses to throw up on the screen for a quick buck.
Well, in the case of comics, it's the comic book publisher and the writers pulling stuff out of their collective asses. Or did you think that those comic titles lasted hundreds of issues and several decades because their was an overall storyline initially planned out? Comics are in it for the money too, or else the publishers would stop a title as soon as the original creators abandon it.

As for writers, Elmore Leonard wrote Be Cool after the success of Get Shorty, the movie. Now, he may or may not have written it even if Get Shorty hadn't been made and hadn't been a success, but you can't just assume his purpose was entirely without profit in mind. In any case, whatever the goal behind the book, it didn't help make the movie any good.

And again, continuing storylines do not a good movie make. The Wachowski Brothers claimed they had 3 movies already in mind when they made The Matrix, but that didn't make the sequels good. The director of Dungeons and Dragons also claimed to have a trilogy in mind, but does anyone truly want to see him make parts 2 and 3?

Bottom line: most sequels are bad, but then, so are most movies period. All that matters about a film is whether it's good or not.
Old 03-21-05, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
Those two threads are smililar to each other, but neither are the same as this one.
I think the point he was trying to make is that many people on DVDTalk prefer we not talk. Rather, poring over threads of yesteryear to get answers to the questions that have presumably already been answered.

Ironic isn't it? a thread about hollywood running out of original ideas and a dvdtalk forum that has run out of original topics to discuss?
Old 03-21-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
Toy Story was tied up nice and neat at the end, so does that mean Toy Story 2 doesn't have a right to exist? How about Star Wars? How about Alien, Terminator, Evil Dead, Before Sunrise, Die Hard, or Lethal Weapon?

It doesn't matter how "tied up" the original storyline was, as long as the sequel is actually good.
I believe one of those examples that spawned a "good" sequel was a typo.
Old 03-21-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by rennervision
I believe one of those examples that spawned a "good" sequel was a typo.
You didn't like Die Hard 3?