Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend (3/11 - 3/13) Box Office Results

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-13-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since we've had two threads already on The Passion: Recut tanking at the box office, why not start up a thread about how everything else did this weekend? So far, here are the estimates...

Discuss.
Old 03-13-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
I expected Hostage to do better.

The top two aren't suprising.

Glad to see The Passion in the top five.
Old 03-13-05, 02:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't imagine Fox is thrilled with that ROBOTS opening. I'm sure they had $$$ in their eyes Friday morning. A good amount of money, but it didn't really kick down the doors.
Old 03-13-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah..although I expected Robots to be #1, the money it took is not impressive. And hostage under $10 million? Wasn't this movie supposed to be "better than Die Hard"?
Old 03-13-05, 02:46 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
Wasn't this movie supposed to be "better than Die Hard"?
*loads gun*

Who said that?
Old 03-13-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't imagine Fox is thrilled with that ROBOTS opening. I'm sure they had $$$ in their eyes Friday morning. A good amount of money, but it didn't really kick down the doors.
After DreamWorks' hit duo of Shrek 2 and Shark Tale along with Disney/Pixar's The Incredibles; I'm sure FOX was expecting at least an opening weekend of $50 million or more. Hell, the flick has been promoted on each of their networks at least once every five minutes.

I'd suggest that the film might make a 40%+ drop next weekend due to the film's negative word of mouth. However, I said the same for Shark Tale, and look how well that film did. However, when it comes to family friendly films, Robots nor The Pacifier don't have any SOLID competition when it comes to next weekend. Unless you count Ice Princess as competition. But I have a feeling it's not going to do The Pacifier type business. In all honesty, I'll be surprised if Ice Princess makes more than $10 million at the box office in it's opening weekend. Disney hasn't been putting that much advertising into the flick and as of now, it's still pretty much flying under the radar for most people.

However, we all know what will be number one next weekend (The Ring Two). If The Grudge can make $40 million it's opening weekend, I'm expecting The Ring Two to open up with $50 million.
Old 03-13-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wasn't Fox's last CG movie 'Ice Age' not that much of a hit either? Fox should just stop making CG movies and leave it up to Dreamworks/Disney since those companies' movies get the business.
Old 03-13-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by resinrats
Wasn't Fox's last CG movie 'Ice Age' not that much of a hit either? Fox should just stop making CG movies and leave it up to Dreamworks/Disney since those companies' movies get the business.
Yeah, totally dude. I mean Ice age only costed them around 60 million and another 35 for makerting and brought in a simple Worldwide gross of $382,687,405. Not to mention that the opening weekend for that was around 46 million. Not all that much more than Robots first week.

So expect this movie to do somewhere around those numbers aswell since it is only 10 million off what Ice Age pulled and is family friendly so the decline in business may be slower than most second week drop off averages. If we allow fewer and fewer companies to make animation then people will start making stupid threads with titles such as "Is animation dead?".

Ice age was a pretty big success worth a sequel. Fox's animation department is growing. The biggest failure was Titan A.E. but we don't like to think of that.
Old 03-13-05, 05:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 901 Likes on 762 Posts
pacifier took in another $18 mil...what is this world coming to?
Old 03-13-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

pacifier took in another $18 mil...what is this world coming to?
That families like going to the movies?
Old 03-13-05, 06:01 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Pretty dismal take for Hostage.
Old 03-13-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Hostage was much better than it's box office take. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Old 03-13-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
Originally Posted by resinrats
Wasn't Fox's last CG movie 'Ice Age' not that much of a hit either? Fox should just stop making CG movies and leave it up to Dreamworks/Pixar since those companies' movies get the business.
fixed
Old 03-13-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought Robots would open bigger, but i think what helped Ice Age's bigger opening were the kick ass teaser trailers
Old 03-13-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Yeah, totally dude. I mean Ice age only costed them around 60 million and another 35 for makerting and brought in a simple Worldwide gross of $382,687,405. Not to mention that the opening weekend for that was around 46 million. Not all that much more than Robots first week.

So expect this movie to do somewhere around those numbers aswell since it is only 10 million off what Ice Age pulled and is family friendly so the decline in business may be slower than most second week drop off averages. If we allow fewer and fewer companies to make animation then people will start making stupid threads with titles such as "Is animation dead?".

Ice age was a pretty big success worth a sequel. Fox's animation department is growing. The biggest failure was Titan A.E. but we don't like to think of that.
Besides a $10M headstart, Ice Age also had better word of mouth and (based on the reviews I've seen of Robots) more adult appeal. Ice Age did very very well financially, but even it wasn't up there with the Pixar or Dreamworks hits.

I don't wish for them to stop making animation, but I would like for them to stop playing it safe and make a true family movie, instead of just putting in the minimum effort of playing to the kids.
Old 03-13-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Besides a $10M headstart, Ice Age also had better word of mouth and (based on the reviews I've seen of Robots) more adult appeal. Ice Age did very very well financially, but even it wasn't up there with the Pixar or Dreamworks hits.
Ice Age actually did better than the last DreamWorks CGI film Shark Tale....
Old 03-13-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't call Shark Tale a hit either, at least not in the league of Toy Story/2, Shrek/2, Monsters inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, etc. It wasn't a financial flop by any stretch, but I think CG animation is judged by a different ruler than regular movies, since they take 2-4x the production time and are generally high budget affairs. Plus the bar is set pretty high for the genre.
Old 03-13-05, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I also thought that Robots would do better esp. with the Star Wars Episode III Trailer & Ice Age 2 Teaser.
Old 03-13-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It wasn't a financial flop by any stretch, but I think CG animation is judged by a different ruler than regular movies, since they take 2-4x the production time and are generally high budget affairs.
Most CG animated films cost somewhere in the range of $50 - 75 million. However, some (such as Dinosaur and Final Fantasy), will cost significantly larger than that. Throw in another $30 million for advertising and a CG animated film costs as much as a summer blockbuster. HOWEVER, since 95% of these films are geared towards family, money starts to flow in prior to the film's theatrical release. Tie-ins, toys, etc. A majority of this money goes straight towards the studio. And it helps that these films sell BIG when they appear on video and DVD. Hell, Shark Tale only made $160 million domestically, but the fucker moved over five million copies on DVD in it's first week ALONE. If you don't call Shark Tale a hit, you are simply out of your mind.