DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What's the last film that moved you to tears? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/413446-whats-last-film-moved-you-tears.html)

Cygnet74 03-10-05 01:02 AM

What's the last film that moved you to tears?

Recently I've fallen in love with a swedish film, Lilja 4-ever, written and directed by Lukas Moodysson. Within the first ten minutes, a young teenage girl is being abandoned by her mother. She cries and screams and begs and clings to her mother desperately. As the car carrying her mother drives away, she chases it, stumbling into the muddy street in slow motion as the natural ambience is replaced by a moving score. As she sits there sobbing in the mud, a random dog approaches her. This is one of the most intense, powerful openings I've ever experienced. I was taken by surprise. it had me crying with her.

Throughout the film, this young teenage girl, Lilja, decends into prostition to pay rent and eat. And at one point her hope for a better life is used against her throwing her into a nightmare she never imagined possible. All these intense moments are puncuated by contemporary music selections. most prominent is "Mein Herz Brennt" ("My Heart Burns") by Rammstein. it is heavy, and furious, with a soulful orchestra behind it perfectly accompanying the emotional terrain this film explores.

Anyway, I'm usually moved to tears at the end of a film. Having it happen at the beginning really made an impact on me. I thought I'd share this film with everyone (few know about it) and ask, when was the last time a film moved you to tears?

NestoJR 03-10-05 01:28 AM

Million Dollar Baby.

Before that, a korean release, Friend aka Chingu. Before that and still happens everytime, American History X.

FantasticVSDoom 03-10-05 07:11 AM

I would have to say Million Dollar Baby because it was so unexpected as I didnt really want to see this movie and didnt know too much about it. Just went to see it because nothing else was playing and I wanted to get in out of the cold. Before that, In America comes to mind...

wendersfan 03-10-05 07:32 AM

<b>Au Hasard, Balthazar</b>

gmal2003 03-10-05 07:48 AM

Ive never cried (as in tears rolling down face) from a movie but have come very close (tearing up) on several. The two most recent are Million Dollar Baby and Hotel Rwanda.

doraemon10 03-10-05 08:13 AM

dancer in the dark

Filmmaker 03-10-05 08:17 AM

TITANIC

...kiss my ass...

Jazzbutcher 03-10-05 08:18 AM

Born Into Brothels.

B.A. 03-10-05 08:18 AM

The fucking Notebook

Third Baseman 03-10-05 08:24 AM

Garden State.

Maxflier 03-10-05 08:29 AM

I really want to see Lilja,i have heard so many great things about it.
Anyone know if it will get an R1 release?I don't have a region-free player.

cupcake jesus 03-10-05 08:41 AM

Million Dollar Baby, unexpectedly. Before that, In America had everyone in the theater sniffling. What a great flick.

Lilja 4-Ever sounds very good. Availability?

cheers,

-the Jesus

ianholm 03-10-05 08:52 AM

<b>Million Dollar Baby</b> - I've seen it five times and it's gotten me every single time.

Before that <i>Titanic</i> & <i>Steel Magnolias</i>

Snowmaker 03-10-05 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by B.A.
The fucking Notebook

:lol:

I did get a little choked up, but no tears.

Mad Dawg 03-10-05 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by ianholm
<b>Million Dollar Baby</b> - I've seen it five times and it's gotten me every single time.

I'm glad to hear it carries an impact if you are expecting the "unexpected." I haven't seen it yet, but any number of hiney-holes have chosen to spoil it for me.

I can't remember the last one that moved me to tears. I get a little misty when I see Field of Dreams, and watching the SE last year was no exception. That'd probably be the one.

ShagMan 03-10-05 09:10 AM

People are gonna laugh, but hell with it... I cry at the end of Iron Giant everytime....

.............Suuupppermmaanannn......

wendersfan 03-10-05 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by cupcake jesus
Lilja 4-Ever sounds very good. Availability?

www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview/lilja4ever.htm

Shannon Nutt 03-10-05 11:05 AM

The Iron Giant

"Superman..."
Gets me every time I see it.

Timber 03-10-05 11:28 AM

Titanic and Soul Food

DJLinus 03-10-05 11:57 AM

Not many movies move me to tears, but Big Fish always gets me.

Fok 03-10-05 11:57 AM

I don't cry in movies, but a couple have pulled some heart strings:

Armageddon (silly I know)
TaeGukGi

Ayre 03-10-05 11:59 AM

In America

The scene towards the end with the daughter talking to her dad.

Flynn 03-10-05 12:45 PM

Life as a House
Big Fish
Frequency
(I'm seeing a pattern of dad issues here, although to my knowledge, I have none)

I welled up for Titanic while in the theatre - but it could've been from the woman directly behind me who was sobbing UNCONTROLLABLY.

Life is Beautiful
The Pianist

Man, I'm a baby...

Mano 03-10-05 12:52 PM

Man on Fire got me last.

Last of the Mohicans usually does the trick as well.

Grimfarrow 03-10-05 12:59 PM

Tony Takitani