Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

movie quotes that define you or your personality?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

movie quotes that define you or your personality?

Old 03-09-05, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I'm my own best friend" - John Candy's half man/half dog character from Spaceballs
Old 03-09-05, 09:48 PM

books, records, films – these things matter! call me shallow, it’s the fucking truth.
Old 03-09-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Life is like a mop. Sometimes life gets full of dirt and crud and hairballs and things and you gotta clean it out. You gotta stick it in here and rinse it off and start all over again. And sometimes life sticks to the floor so much that a mop, a mop, it's not good enough. You gotta get down there with like a toothbrush, you know, and you gotta really scrub 'cause you gotta get it off. But if that doesn't work, you can't give up. You gotta stand right up. You gotta run to a window and say, "These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more." - Stanley Spadowski
Old 03-16-05, 04:30 AM
Banned

"Football Factory" Take a point and fuck off
Old 03-16-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"GARBLE GARBLE GARBLE GARBLE. Tell the truth, okay?"

-Lost In Translation.
Old 03-16-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life," by Dean Wormer and
"It's not years, honey, it's the mileage," by Indiana Jones.
Old 03-16-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts
The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.

Pretty much sums up my life.
Old 03-16-05, 01:56 PM
Banned

I can't lie to you about your chances. But, you have my sympathies.

(like Cygnet74, I think a lot about what's to come)

Last edited by Kudama; 03-16-05 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-16-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Suck me beautiful!"

-When Stifler says it.
Old 03-16-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tanman
The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.

Pretty much sums up my life.
I laugh my butt off every time I see that scene in Austin Powers. "He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark."
Old 03-16-05, 02:50 PM

These are a bunch of ones that to varying extents I relate to at different points in time (A couple are from books, tv, etc. but most are from movies. And these are from a list I keep, I didn't just go out and find them):

You'd be surprised about what you can get, if you ask for it the right way.

I'm saying you've already done plenty of things to regret, you just don't know what they are. It's when you discover them, when you see the folly in something you've done, and you wish that you had it do over, but you know you can't, because it's too late. So you pick that thing up, and carry it with you to remind you that life goes on, the world will spin without you, and that you really don't matter in the end

Sometimes you see the world so clearly, you know just what you should do…or what you should have done.

It's funny, you work so hard, you do everything you can to get away from a place, and when you finally get your chance to leave, you find a reason to stay.

In this life, it's not what you hope for, it's not what you deserve -- it's what you take.

They all have husbands and wives and children and houses and dogs, and, you know, they've all made themselves a part of something and they can talk about what they do. What am I gonna say? “I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How've you been?”

Some people say that you have to forgive and forget. I don’t know, I say forget about forgiving and just accept.

If you take away the horror of the scene, take away the tragedy of the death, take away all the moral and ethical implications that have been drilled into your head since grade one, do you know what you're left with? A 105-pound problem that needs to be moved from point A to point B.

We’re all faced throughout our lives with agonizing decisions, moral choices. Some are on a grand scale, most of these choices are on lesser points. But we define ourselves by the choices we have made. We are, in fact, the sum total of our choices. Events unfold so unpredictably, so unfairly. Human happiness does not seem to be included in the design of creation. It is only we with our capacity to love that give meaning to the indifferent universe. And yet, most human beings seem to have the ability to keep trying and to even find joy from simple things, like their family, their work, and from the hope that future generations might understand more.

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every panda that wouldn't screw to save its species. I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all those French beaches I'd never see. I wanted to breathe smoke…I felt like destroying something.

When you're young your potential is infinite. You might do anything. You might be anything. Then you get to an age when what you might be gives way to what you have been - what you are.

Your memory is a monster, you forget – it doesn’t. It simply files things away. It keeps things from you – and summons them to your recall with a will all its own. You think you have a memory, but it has you.

That was my first instinct – to protect him. It never occurred to me that there was a greater need to protect myself. Innocence always calls mutely for protection when we would be so much wiser to guard ourselves.

I know myself, and I know the depth of my selfishness. I cannot be at ease (and to be at ease is my chief wish) if someone else is in pain, visibly or audibly or tactually. Sometimes this is mistaken by the innocent for unselfishness, when all I am doing is sacrificing a small good – in this case postponement in attending to my hurt – for the sake of a far greater good, a peace of mind when I need think only of myself.

I’m looking around me and I’m thinking, these are my friends? I…I don’t even know these people.

It's not a lie. It's a gift for fiction.

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

We’re all going down, it’s just a question of when.

You see every drink of liquor you take kills a thousand brain cells. Now that doesn't much matter because we got billions more. First the sadness cells die so you smile real big. And then the quiet cells go so you just say everything real loud for no reason at all. That’s ok, that's ok because the stupid cells go next, so everything you say is real smart. And finally come the memory cells. These are tough sons of bitches to kill.

I've been through alcohol, marriage, and network television. If you want to kill me, you're gonna need kryptonite.

Every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's the worst day of my life.

Anyone who spends a significant amount of time with me finds me disagreeable.

This isn't going to have a happy ending.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe.

Come to Los Angeles! The sun shines bright, the beaches are wide and inviting, and the orange groves stretch as far as the eye can see. There are jobs aplenty, and land is cheap. Every working man can have his own house, and inside every house, a happy, all-American family. You can have all this, and who knows... you could even be discovered, become a movie star... or at least see one. Life is good in Los Angeles... it's paradise on Earth. That's what they tell you anyway.

Listen. Deep down, everyone is a good guy. Hitler, Manson--they were all really good guys way deep down. But I'm not interested in that - you are what you do. That's who you are. It's like, sure he gets drunk, sure he smacks me around a little, sure he gambled away the welfare money, sure he sodomizes the kids, but you know, when you catch him on the right day, he can really be a warm guy. I'd like to meet a prick who's a philanthropist. That's the guy I want to hang with: some guy whose center core is evil, except all he does is good deeds. We idealize people and don't look at what they're really doing, don't listen to what they're really saying, and don't deal with who they actually are. You treat your friends like shit, then you’re not their friend. If you're raping, you're a rapist. Cheating on your wife? You’re a piece of shit husband. End of story, I don’t care what your “core” is.

As everyone knows, it is my job to pass judgment on everyone else and never take a look at myself.

If you really wanted to screw me up, you should've gotten to me earlier.

Listen, I did not bust my ass and start making six figures so that people would judge me by my personality. Now everyone's judging my personality. Where were these people 15 years ago when I was a poor but semi decent human being?

There's one problem that faces this country: unwanted kids and the horrible parents of those unwanted kids. You can talk about crime, you can talk about building prisons, you can talk about drug abuse, you can talk about unemployment, you can talk about the welfare state, you can talk about sexual and physical abuse, you can talk about overcrowding in the schools, and you can talk about every subject that the politicians love to talk about. But we won't talk about the ONE subject that feeds every one of those subjects - unwanted kids growing up in unhealthy environments. Think about the one kid that gets raised by the horrible drunken dad, or the single mother who brings in a cycle of abusive boyfriends, introducing them to her kid. That kid gets in and out of prison, that kid gets hooked on drugs, that kid is unemployed; that kid is potentially going to cost society hundreds of thousands of dollars because if it's a guy he has a parole officer, or if it's a girl she gets pregnant when she's fifteen. Look at what that one kid does. But we can't direct our attention to that subject; all we want to talk about is the aftermath. All we want to talk about is building more prisons for that kid, but we don't want to talk about that kid not having a kid of their own.

My life is like a Rubik’s cube that’s fallen into the toilet. I can shift everything around as long as I want in an attempt to try and change things but no matter what all I end up with is shit.

I feel like the floor of a taxicab.

All men have something to hide. The brighter the picture, the darker the negative.

Me, I didn't mean anything. About anything, to anyone. And I knew that guaranteed me a long, depression-free life.
Old 03-16-05, 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
"Suck me beautiful!"

-When Stifler says it.

how the hell did i forget this one!!
Old 03-16-05, 03:35 PM
Banned

Anything from Office Space would be my mom's life, lol, shes worked in a cubicle for over 20 years. I go to her work sometimes, and we joke about office space. Her boss is kinda like lumberg.. mmmmmkkkkkk yeahhhhh, alrightttt, thanks a lot peter!
Old 03-16-05, 04:42 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

why doesn't anyone feel the need to post an attribute for their quote?
Old 03-16-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Cygnet74
why doesn't anyone feel the need to post an attribute for their quote?
Good point.......about my American Psycho quote:

I'm neither a psycho or deranged (well, not that I know of anyway), but I do like tricking people I don't like, especailly when I first meet them - I'm pretty good at reading people quickly and turning their dumb shit back on them. After, I go right back to being cool with them as if nothing ever happened - hence pretty much the entire quote only turned down about 100 notches.
Old 03-18-05, 01:29 AM

...Mankind, that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interest. Perhaps it's fate that today is the fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom. Not from tyranny, opression or persecution, but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live, to exist. And should we win the day, the fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice "We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive!" Today we celebrate our Independence Day!
Old 03-18-05, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.
Old 03-18-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"So, get off your ath; let's do some math. Math. Math. Math. Math. Math."
Old 03-18-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
"Whenever you gamble, you eventually lose"
Old 03-18-05, 12:14 PM

Bill Munny: Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.
The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess he had it comin'.
Bill Munny: We all got it comin', kid.

Little Bill Daggett: I don't deserve this... to die like this. I was building a house.
Bill Munny: Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.

Both from the same film. "We all got it comin' and deserve's got nothin' to do with it." Pretty much sums up life.
Old 03-18-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
"Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear, and when I do, it's usually something unusual."
Old 03-18-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
"Whenever you gamble, you eventually lose"
Well that sure takes that starch out of my quote:
"Always bet on black!" — Passenger 57.
Old 03-28-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"But it's that pelvic thrust;
That really drive you insa-a-a-ane"
Old 03-28-05, 10:36 PM

See my signature, because I place high value on my friends, and it seems like they and my family are all I've really got in life. So, when something threatens my friends (or family), or the few simple joys I get out of life, I feel the need to defend them by any means necessary. Plus, I'm always a fan of the "One Man vs. The World" scenarios.
Old 03-30-05, 09:26 PM

Clerks......very profound.. yet everyday feelings we all possess

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.