Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Books that should be made into movies... (merged)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Books that should be made into movies... (merged)

Old 03-06-05, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Books that should be made into movies...

I always thought Snowblind by Rober Sabbag would make an excellent movie. And Elmore Leonard's Killshot with Johnny Depp and Jack Black. I read a couple of weeks ago Killshot is in development but not sure who is attached.
Old 03-06-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anything written by Chuck Palahniuk.
Old 03-06-05, 01:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slow Hands
I always thought Snowblind by Rober Sabbag would make an excellent movie. And Elmore Leonard's Killshot with Johnny Depp and Jack Black. I read a couple of weeks ago Killshot is in development but not sure who is attached.

I can't believe you brought up Snowblind!!! You may find this hard to believe, but my father was Zachary Swan (an alias, or course). i remember being about 13 when my dad explained his "brief career in the cocaine trade" and handed me the book to read. I'm in it toward the end as a little kid, the tow-headed "Geoffrey". my real name incidentally is Zachary.

the book has been close to being made twice. in the early eighties, Marty Bregman was going to produce this with Peter Hyams directing but Hyams had a falling out with the writer and the whole thing fell apart. Hyams went on to make The Star Chamber while Bregman set his sights on producing another "cocaine" movie, Scarface.

then in the late 90's, I wrote an adaptation and submitted it to Mark Mowers, the producer handling it at the time. Tony Kaye (American History X) was attached to direct but no studio wanted to finance a story about a cocaine smuggler as "the hero", . also Tony Kaye had a rep as a troublemaker from his experience on American History X.

Anyway, it's still floating around town and maybe in another decade it will become hot again. also, I made a film called "Blue in Green" that's screening in NYC on april 6. I emailed Sabbag (book's author) about it and he will be attending. I'll ask if he's heard anything new regarding Snowblind.

Last edited by Cygnet74; 03-06-05 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-06-05, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cygnet74

I can't believe you brought up Snowblind!!! You may find this hard to believe, but my father was Zachary Swan (an alias, or course). i remember being about 13 when my dad explained his "brief career in the cocaine trade" and handed me the book to read. I'm in it toward the end as a little kid, the tow-headed "Geoffrey". my real name incidentally is Zachary.

the book has been close to being made twice. in the early eighties, Marty Bregman was going to produce this with Peter Hyams directing but Hyams had a falling out with the writer and the whole thing fell apart. Hyams went on to make The Star Chamber while Bregman set his sights on producing another "cocaine" movie, Scarface.

then in the late 90's, I wrote an adaptation and submitted it to Mark Mowers, the producer handling it at the time. Tony Kaye (American History X) was attached to direct but no studio wanted to finance a story about a cocaine smuggler as "the hero", . also Tony Kaye had a rep as a troublemaker from his experience on American History X.

Anyway, it's still floating around town and maybe in another decade it will become hot again. also, I made a film called "Blue in Green" that's screening in NYC on april 6. I emailed Sabbag (book's author) about it and he will be attending. I'll ask if he's heard anything new regarding Snowblind.

Dude, Snowblind is one of the best books I've ever read. What was it like growing up having your dad being a huge drug trafficker? I don't think it would be cool but it does intrigue me a lot. I mean I wouldn't want to have my dad in a job where his whole familiy's life in constant jeopardy. It needs to be made into a movie. For some reason i alway envisioned somewhat like Charlie Sheen as Zachary Swan. But more recently I thought Adrian Brody would be good. They need to make the movie though.
Old 03-06-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have this great idea for a book that would make an excellent movie...it's about an island where dinosaurs are brought back to life with remarkable cloning techiniques! I call it...Billy and the Clonosaurus!
Old 03-06-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doestoevsky's Crime and Punishment (a REAL adaptation)
Old 03-06-05, 02:56 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Slow Hands
Dude, Snowblind is one of the best books I've ever read. What was it like growing up having your dad being a huge drug trafficker? I don't think it would be cool but it does intrigue me a lot. I mean I wouldn't want to have my dad in a job where his whole familiy's life in constant jeopardy. It needs to be made into a movie. For some reason i alway envisioned somewhat like Charlie Sheen as Zachary Swan. But more recently I thought Adrian Brody would be good. They need to make the movie though.
he was smuggling in the early 70's as you know. i was born in 1974 after he had moved to pennsylvania and married "Alice Haskell" (my mom) from he book. the man i knew growing up never put his family in danger and in fact, it was for "family" that he left that part of his life behind him. no, the man i knew as my father wisely invested the money he made from the book, collected antiques, opened a wicker furniture store and sub shop "for fun", coached my little brother's soccer team, encouraged my filmmaking pursuits whole-heartedly and died at age 67 from pancreatic cancer at home with my mother at his bedside on February 22, 1994.

he was in his mid-forties during the events of snowblind, but Adrien Brody does share a resemblance to my dad when they were the same age. maybe brody would be ideal to play him in a decade or two? in his fifties and sixties, my dad looked like a cross between Alec Guiness and Harvey Keitel.

Last edited by Cygnet74; 03-06-05 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-06-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's cool cygnet74. Kinda sucks they didn't make it into a movie.
Old 03-06-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
The Seventh Scroll by Wilbur Smith would make a great movie.

And i'm surprised the Dirk Pitt books are just now starting to be made into movies,they seem perfect for the big screen.
Old 03-06-05, 04:08 PM

the contortionist's handbook by craig clevenger
Old 03-06-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts
Memnoch The Devil by Anne Rice
Old 03-06-05, 05:23 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stephen King Dark Tower series would be interesting.
Old 03-06-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card...great idea for a movie, but long in development hell, from what I've heard.
Old 03-06-05, 05:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card...great idea for a movie, but long in development hell, from what I've heard.
See also: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...01#post2341101
Old 03-06-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If done right, "The Straw Men" by Michael Marshall would be amazing. But it would have to be almost perfect casting, perfect director, etc. to pull off the mood and style (not to mention the story) of the book.
Old 03-06-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
I second that but for F***'* sake they need to make sure it's done right.
Old 03-07-05, 12:04 AM

more chuck palahniuk movies
Old 03-07-05, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
the Westing Game. I know they did a crappy tv movie years ago, but I loved that book as a kid.
Old 03-07-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
A Man In Full by Tom Wolfe. That was an awesome read and easily adaptable. I guess the mega-disaster that was "Bonfires of the Vanities" has scared people off this one because when the book originally came out, Time Magazine was already offering casting advice for the film.

The Hot Zone. It was going to be made, but the producer didn't want to bother with getting any of the facts right and ended up making the ludicrous "Outbreak" instead. Maybe the CSI procedural craze will allow somebody the balls to make an authentic film now.

A. Scott Berg's Lindbergh biography would make for a fascinating biopic. So much tragedy as well as triumph. Maybe there's been a Lindbergh film made since "The Spirit OF St. Louis", but I can't think of one.

And it sounds like I need to check out "Snowblind" now. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 03-07-05, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
One thing that would be hard about filming this series is:
Spoiler:
One of the main characters is a kid. So you'd have to somehow film 7 movies without the kid aging
Old 03-07-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Neuromancer, if done right.
Old 03-07-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
And i'm surprised the Dirk Pitt books are just now starting to be made into movies,they seem perfect for the big screen.
I have always thought they would make good flicks if written and cast properly (I am still skeptical about Sahara).

I have always wanted to see Ludlum's The Road to Gandolfo and The Road to Omaha adapted to the big screen w/ Burt Reynolds in the lead role of General Mackenzie Hawkings.

Last edited by B.A.; 03-07-05 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-07-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I think the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series would make for some great movies as well.
Old 03-07-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,213 Posts
Good Omens. Gilliam was developing it but apparently has dropped it.

Either The River Why or The Brothers K by David James Duncan.
Old 03-07-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anything from Octavia Butler. Would make the bomb sci-fi movies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.